Laptop Computer

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Laptop Computer

Postby Edwin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:57 pm

So many people are getting these laptop computers, and the price has been coming down on them. We have only had the desk tops or towers, and that works fairly well, but you can't take them with you very easily. Years ago when I was working out of town one summer about 5 hours drive away from our house, I did carry a full size computer with me, but that was a project. These laptops are handy for the kids, and they carry them sometimes everywhere with them. Our grandkid, most of them have laptops that they carry where ever they go. I think when people visit the Philippines they often carry their laptops with them, do they not? Anyway I am happy to have a computer be in one place in the house, but Carol wants a laptop, and she is saving her money, when she gets enough pennies together we will no doubt buy one. Then if I go somewhere, I may borrow it from her, and then I might not, I'm not sure. People who travel from the USA to the Philippines, I guess they can get reception many places they go, huh? There are advantages and disadvantages I think, and I am not sure what is best, anyway Carol will no doubt shortly have her laptop, and then I can get on here anytime I want as we have the capability of a second computer getting access to the internet at the same time as this one is on. We got that when our granddaughter stayed with us here, so she could get on the internet whenever she wanted. Presently if Carol wants on the internet, I play the piano, and that works okay. :D :D
Edwin

Re: Laptop Computer

Postby Chas » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:12 am

Most if not all long distance international flights I have been on have a 7kg weight limit for carry on bags. You would not want to risk a laptop in your checked in baggage. By the time I have packed my netbook (10" screen) and camera and chargers for everything including my mobile phone, plus electric razor, medicines, travel documents and one set of underwear in case the checked in luggage is lost, I am over the 7kg. One camera lens has to go in a coat pocket whilst I go through checks that weigh your bags, though I have only had carry on weighed once.

So to cut long story short, if you do not need the laptop for a specific purpose (I use mine to edit photos) you might be better off just using an internet cafe at about 10 to 20 pesos an hour.

Also hotel internet provision can vary from bad to reasonable and from free to very expensive.
Chas

Postby Edwin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Yes, Chas, thanks for the information! Weight carefully your options! Play on words, huh? :lol: I have heard of all kind of tricks to try to keep your carry on weight low, and putting that lense in your coat pocket is a great way to help you keep the weight low while going through checks that weight you carry ons!

This is very funny, well, maybe not, but before I went to the Philippines in 2010 you reminded/warned me about the domestic flight weight limitations in the Philippines. I had never flown internationally, then flown domestically in the Philippines, so I didn't consider it as carefully as I should have. My friend told me how many pieces of luggage I could bring, and what the weight could be, and I took 2 pieces, but I didn't put as much in them as he said I could, because I didn't need to, as I had everything I wanted to take.

It turned out I was fine for international flight, but I was over for the domestic leg to Dumaguete, City, Negros Oriental. Going to Dumaguete worked out fine, because my friends were taking things for their house and their families there, and we all took the luggage that was over the limit to cargo flight, and that was reasonable. When we went to return to Manila, they were fine because they had given their things to their family and they were leaving a lot of things at their house, but I was still over. I put my excess in one bag, and we headed for the airport to put it on cargo flight. The only problem was that I locked that luggage, according to the wishes of his filipina wife, but I, without thinking, always my problem!, put the key in another bag, my carry on, and when we got to the airport, the guy was gone who operated the machine, so they wanted to physically inspect and they couldn't because it was locked! We couldn't wait for the guy to return because we had a huge family going away dinner that we needed to get back for. So we hauled that luggage back, and that evening I gave part of my stuff away to her family, put some of my luggage in with there's, as they were way under weight, put one of my empty luggage inside there's and we were fine! It seemed like a huge problem at the time, and his filipina was angry with me for forgetting the key, but her brother and husband told me to to feel badly or worry about it, and I did feel bably somewhat, but got over it quickly!

I didn't need to take as much as I did, and next time I will be wiser, adn I hope thre will be a next time soon, because I had such a wonderful time got to, and being in the Philippines! I just need to have a good reason to go, know who I am going to be with, and feel comfortable and safe, and then I will go! I can't wait!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:03 pm

I always used a PC until a few years ago I got a killer deal on the laptop that I still use today.Some neighbors of mine had a small computer repair shop.They put in a bid to buy a bunch of IBM lenovo thinkpad laptops that were being returned at the end of a lease contract.Two or three of these had never been used,still in the original packaging.I got mine for the price of used and it has worked well to this day.I find the laptop so convenient that I would never want to be without one.I really reccomend one over a PC.
Smiley

Postby mystic » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:40 am

I have often to go around but always stayed with big normal computers, because I have some particular applications that run on them (music software, development station, etc.). Then, contrariwise to the past, when I always clogged my computer of software until it died, I got an attitude toward simplification an energy saving. So... I have now my big station always turned off. A very small server with Windows XP stays at home, always on. It consumes only 4W and I can use it for all my basic needs (word processing, etc.). Then, I connect from everywhere in cloud, with a laptop. I could overload my laptop even with my music software, since technology is improving so quickly. And the big station is just for the special occasions (I made it even baby proof, with a fanless system and a silent keyboard; what a pity I have no use of it).
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Chas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:36 am

Edwin wrote: I hope thre will be a next time soon, because I had such a wonderful time got to, and being in the Philippines! I just need to have a good reason to go, know who I am going to be with, and feel comfortable and safe, and then I will go! I can't wait!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D

Don't wait for a reason. Surely the beautiful countryside and adventure is good enough reason to go.

My parents always wanted to go on a cruise, but always put it off. After they passed away I discovered they had enough money to go on many cruises. They came through hardship in their youth and became great savers. I wish they had spent the money and gone on their dream cruise. The money was put to good use as my kids will graduate from college debt free and I know my parents would approve of that, but still.....

So Edwin, start scouring the internet for cheap plane deals. Plan to fly to Cebu, not Manila, and you will be fine. Go now, you never know what tomorrow will bring and your kids will get a lot of happiness from your enjoyment and happy memories of your trip.

P.S. You also might start posting about somewhere hot and not making us all feel cold with those snow photos :lol:
Joke - I have enjoyed your photos, lets have some more, but let me turn the central heating up first :D
Chas

Postby Edwin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:11 am

I need to take some more pictures as our storms have piled the snow so much higher than the pictures than I have posted, but then I didn't want to get out in the storm to take the pictures, and then we have been gone for Chirstmas, so I will need to see if I can get some more pictures, and then you turn up your thermostate and enjoy my snow pictures. We probably have some more severe winter weather to go through in January, but then February is normally wind down time for winter! :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Return to General Forum