visa free

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: visa free

Postby tom » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 am

You're welcome, Chas...
    i imagine your interest in and enthusiasm for the subject combined with the club members interest in the subject will not only carry you through the ordeal, but will probably make it enjoyable--- for both you and your interested listeners... :)
Image"Weep not! Behold! the Lion of the tribe of Judah is victorious... and His kingdom will never end." (rev.5; luke 1:30-33;isaiah 9:6-7,11:1-10)
tom

Postby Edwin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:15 pm

When Carol was in the elementary they took all the little kids on a train ride to a town about 10 miles away. She always wanted a cross country train ride, and she finally got one. It was like a dream come true for her! She and I both went on a very slow train ride that your daughters would have loved! It went from Ione, Washington to Medaline Falls, Washington, right on the Canadian/USA border north of Spokane, Washington. It was sponsored by the Lion's Club that does a lot of wonderful things and especially for children. We got there too late to go in the cattle cars, but we were in the passenger section, and we could walk from one car to another for about 4 cars. We couldn't see much most of the way as there were trees blocking our view. It was a lot of fun anyway! It seems like that train Carol rode cross country went up to 120 mile per hour, but when it got really hot they had to slow to 60 miles per hour, because at high speed the rails would heat up, causing them to bend, and that would cause the train to derail! I took one unintentional train ride once! At the time it was my job to load wood chips on the railroad cars. I was on top of a car putting a net over the chips so that they would not blow out going down the tracks at high speeds. The people operating the train did not realize I was up there, so out of town we went, and I wondered where they were going to stop. They did stop less than a mile out of town, and I crawled down, and walked back to where my job was! That was my first train ride! I'm not sure what would have happened had they not stopped within walking distance. I suppose eventually someone would have realized that no one was loading chips!

Chas, you would enjoy this train ride sponsored by the Lion's Club because the old cars are antiques, not sure the year, but old, and they have some history. This train travels very slowly, never getting up to a speed more than maybe 25 mph; I'm guessing as I didn't see a speedometer. When we were on there was this lady and these kids who acted out a train hold up and robbery. It was quite nice, and a lot of fun! It definately had an old nostalgic feel to it. It was quite reasonable; don't remember the exact cost, but it was definately worth it! We went with Carol's favorite cousin and his wife, and that made it more fun. Then we stopped on the way back to their home in Spokane, and we ate more than anyone should have eaten! It was fun! :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Postby Chas » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 am

Hi Edwin, sounds like an interesting day out. In the UK most of the preserved railway lines operate under a Light Railway Order which restricts the maximum speed to 25mph. This is plenty fast enough to operate the heritage equipment safely and prolong it's life.
Chas

Postby Edwin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Yes, Chas, in those situations speed is not important. We were just going a few miles, north of Spokane to the Canadian border and back, and the slow speed of the train allowed us to enjoy it more. Then yes, that is old equipment that was retired from most of the railways/tracks. It is just fun to enjoy a part of history! :D :D
Edwin

Previous

Return to General Forum