Dangers Of Vitamin Supplements and Mineral Supplements

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Dangers Of Vitamin Supplements and Mineral Supplements

Postby Edwin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:09 pm

One thing I learned from my nutrition class I took during the winter quarter is that vitamin and mineral supplements can be very dangerous. My family, I mean my Mom and Dad got into this vitamin and mineral supplement things in the late 1960s and early 1970s. My Dad's health was failing. He had heart disease clogging his heart and veins. He tried everything he could think of to bring back his health. He finally flew to Texas and had a Doctor Debaky operate on his heart. He did not live through the surgery, even though the doctor and his assistant tried their best to bring him back, they couldn't start his heart after the operation. He basically tried to save his health too late I think.

Anyway he got me started to taking vitamins and supplements. I was getting airman physicals as I was piloting airplanes at the time. The doctor that did my airman physical told me that I should eat right and throw all those vitamins and supplements away, because I was wasting my money, and not making myself healthier. I left them in a box, and I think I still have them after about 30 years or so, but I never took any of them again. There are certain situations where taking vitamins and mineral is warranted, but for most people, if they can eat the correct foods they don't need to be taking those vitamins and minerals. Some of them are very dangerous as with some of the fat soluable vitamins, they can build up in your system to toxic levels enough to kill you, so be very careful with fat soluable vitamins. Also some combinations can be dangerous. If you are taking vitamin E and also aspirin, that combination can made you bleed, as they interfer with blood clotting. Many people are iron deficient, and especially younger woman, so maybe some iron supplements make sense, but be careful here too, because if you take iron and vitamin C, the vitamin C can cause your system to absorb too much iron, to toxicity levels. For more indepth information on this get a good nutrition text book such as "The Science Of Nutrition," written by Thompson and others, and study the sections about vitamins and minerals, and it will tell you about the caution you need to take with vitamin and mineral supplements. Another good thing to do is to see a nutritionist who has training in the field, not just someone who calls himself/herself a nutritionist, because some of them are just quacks trying to get your money, and sell their products. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Return to General Forum