Super Ferry

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Super Ferry

Postby jadegil6 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:05 pm

I took the Super Ferry from Manila to Cebu City, and the voyage took 23 hours. So part of the cost of the ticket was paying for sleeping accomodations. Not having done this before, I opted for a cabin. I was unaware that there were different cabins....some for 12, and some for 4, and some private cabins. I wound up in a cabin for 12, but that was Ok coz there were only 6 people in that cabin, and I was still operating on US time, so my body's clock said it was daytime when it was night where I was at. I slept about 2 hours, and then walked around the ship the rest of the night, and that is why the photos don't have many people in them because almost everyone was asleep.

Super-Ferry-top-of-stairwell2.gif

Super-Ferry-top-deck.gif

Super-Ferry-top-deck2.gif

Super-Ferry-stairwell-to-dining-area.gif

Super-Ferry-dining-area.gif

Super-Ferry-dining-area-2.gif

Super-Ferry-buffet-menu.gif

Super-Ferry-sari-sari-store.gif

Super-Ferry-bottom-of-stairwell.gif

Super-Ferry-sleeping-area.gif

Super-Ferry-cabin-for-12.gif
jadegil6
Site Admin

Re: Super Ferry

Postby Edwin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:03 am

Thank you, Sir Michael, for sharing the pictures of the Super Ferry! I enjoyed looking at them very much!

I will bet that you enjoyed seeing some scenery along the way. We rode 3 different boats to where we lived for 10 years. Some people flew on the airplane, which I think was about 35 minutes. One time while we were there that airplane crashed in the lake while landing. The pilot forgot to raise the landing gear wheels on the floats, and it did some cartwheeling, killing 2 people on board, while the pilot and 2 people survived. One person who died was a heart surgeon from Spokane, and the other was the school superintendent. One of the people who survived was a high school student, and she was driving for the superintendent, because the lady could not see well because of diabetes. The student had an air vacumn that allowed her to breathe until she made her escape. The doctor helped his wife out of the airplane and tried to unbuckle the superentendent before he died. It was a very sad ending with a beautiful Beaver airplane.

One boat with rode once in a while was the Catermerand sp?. It would come up the 55 mile lake in one hour. It's first run was when Neut Gingricht and a group of Republicans came to Stehekin for a small political rally. They had security everywhere. We could pay an upgrade and ride that boat out or in, which we did a few times. They finally ended the service of that boat as there were not enough people interested in paying the extra money to ride that boat. Another boat we traveled a lot was called the Express. It was a 60 foot aluminum boat that would make the trip in about 2.5 hours. We usually took that boat, because the guy we worked for owned the boats, and that one was relatively fast, and we were allowed to ride it for free. It had restrooms and a very small food galley. The boat that I really like to ride on when we were not in a hurry to get to civilization, towns and so on, was a 100 foot boat, called the Lady II, sometimes they called it the Lady of the Lake. It took 4 hours to make the 55 mile trip with that boat. It was very comfortable, like being on land, and there was lots of room. The food galley was larger with a greater variety on it. When we moved away we actually road the barge out with our pickup and car on board. We started just before day light, and go to the other end of the lake just before dark. It was a long ride, but it was fun. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:25 pm

More photos from the Super Ferry!!
Super-Ferry-buffet-line.gif

Super-Ferry-buffet-line2.gif

Super-Ferry-buffet-line-worker.gif

Super-Ferry-worker-at-buffet.gif

Super-Ferry-cell-phone-chargers.gif

Super-Ferry-cell-phone-chargers2.gif

Super-Ferry-crew-members.gif

Super-Ferry-at-pier-in-Cebu.gif
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Edwin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Thank you, Sir Michael for the additional Super Ferry photos. The cell phone charging area was interesting. It looks like they have every kind of chord necessary. Our daughter sent the wrong chord home with us once after visiting her and her family about 3 hours away from us. It worked on our phone, but our chord would not work on her phone. I think we mailed it back; I can't remember for sure now as it has been a while ago.

The crew looks like a friendly bunch. The buffet area is very important for hungry stomachs, huh?

It is interesting what various people think is good food. My friends always stay in the City Gardens Hotel when they go to Manila. Of course I went with them last year, and I was invited this year also, but I have a renter moving out, so I have to be here. I think I am going to get my money from the other renters; I have faith, but right now I am left very short of funds, so going now is out of the question, even though I wanted to badly. Anyway I was impressed with the breakfasts at City Gardens, and I thought I got some very good food. But, my brother-in-law, wife's brother, who lives in the Philippines, ate with them in 2006 at this place and he told me that he was not impressed. Well, I liked it anyway. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby jimmymack » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:22 am

hi! what was the cost to ride the super ferry
jimmymack

Postby jadegil6 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:42 am

Here is a rate chart for December 9, 2011:

superferry rates.jpg

I was in the Tourist Cabin which sleeps 12 (6 bunk beds)
The porters will bring all of your luggage to your cabin, so be prepared to be crowded if you have alot of luggage. There is an additional charge for luggage at a per-kilo weight, but it is nominal. The airlines in the Philippines charge a fortune for luggage, so it is much cheaper to go by ferry.
There are many routes, and different fares for each. You can visit their website, view all the routes and schedules, find the fares, and book a ticket online. Go to http://www.superferry.com.ph/index.asp (copy and paste this URL in your browser)
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Edwin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:56 pm

If a person has time, the ferry is the way to go, huh? Then if you have good company that is even better! I guess a person can go on boats from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong too, but I'm not sure whether that would be advisable or not. I haven't looked into it at all. If a person had good company it would all be fun! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:32 am

Here are a few more photos of the sleeping accomodations for the Super Ferry.

super ferry tourist cabin.jpg

super ferry general sleeping area 2.jpg

super ferry general sleeping area.jpg

super ferry cabin for 2.jpg

super ferry cabin for two.jpg

And a photo of the videoke room. There are several rooms similar to this one that will accomdate meetings for large groups of people. On the trip I took, there were 2 large groups of students on some field trips, and they were meetiing in those rooms. I heard a few amazing singers in this room, and many who sounded like a dying calf in a hailstorm. lol
super ferry videoke room.jpg
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Edwin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Thank you, Sir Michael, for the pictures of the sleeping quarters and the videoke room. They look like they are quite nice accomodations! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Return to General Forum