Computer or money?

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Computer or money?

Postby HappyDave » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi All,

I have a female friend in PI, and no, not that kind of friend, she is just a very nice person and way too young for me, but I would like to help her a little. Yes, I know I could be tossing money away but it is so little that it should not be an issue.

So here's the questions.
Should I send her a five year old laptop which has an inbuilt modem for dial up Internet access? It works fine but needs a new battery, but is OK running without a battery when plugged in. I no longer use it and old laptops are basically worthless here in the US and a new battery is $130. I just paid $200 for my new netbook so $130 for a battery is not going to happen. :) I can FedEx the thing to her for about 40-bucks.
What would it cost her for dial-up access at her home?

Should I instead send her say 5 to 10-bucks a month for an Internet cafe?
What are hourly cafe rates like in Cebu?

I don't want to ask her in case I decide against one or both options, so for now I am on the search for information. :)

Thanks
HappyDave

Re: Computer or money?

Postby Edwin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:01 pm

HappyDave, the only thought I have on this is that, and I might be wrong, but doesn't most of the Philippine's electricity run 220 volts instead of 110? A transformer might be possible to convert from 220 down to 110 volts which is probably what the lap top is. Other than that, I don't know how dial-up works in the Philippines. Do they use that with the telephone line, or do they use satellite systems? The electricity being 220 volts instead of 110 volts is what I am wondering about, and if it is necessary to convert the volts in order for an appliance using 110 volts to work? I hope someone else will have answers to these questions. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby eric » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:33 pm

:D
Last edited by eric on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric

Postby Chas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Don't send the laptop because:
1. Filipinos live by their mobile so it is very likely that your friend does not even have a landline where she lives;
2. Even second hand it is possible that the laptop will attract custom dues out of all proportion to its value;
3. Given the age of the laptop when it hits the heat and humidity of the Philippines it is likely to give up living.

I think an internet cafe is about 20 Pesos an hour. Maybe even only 15 Pesos an hour.
Chas

Postby Edwin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 pm

I have seen this subject before here somewhere. It is usually cheaper to buy whatever it is in the Philippines than to have it shipped. I think Chas has a point that if the lap top has some age on it, it would likely not last at all in the Philippines where it is hot and humid, which is hard on electronics. Sometimes it might be better to get something with a warranty. From what I understand the telephone lines/wires system is not very good in the Philippines. In Guimaras Island, in one section of this island anyway they took the telephone lines out and didn't replace them with anything, so those people have to depend on their cell phones. Customs would probably charge so much that, that used lap top might be pretty expensive before it is over with. Everyone carries the cell phones. I don't know how many people have computer with the satellite systems, but I think that might be pretty expensive. We got a satellite system where we used to live because it was our only means of transportation, and when we moved we moved it also. It got progressively cheaper, and we still have it. We have no telephone other than the cell phone. I'm hoping this system will last forever, but you never know! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Postby HappyDave » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 am

Thanks for the replies.

OK, going to rebut a few things first. Most (probably all) computers have 100v to 250v auto-ranging power supplies so the local voltage would not be an issue. They have been pretty standard for 10+ years.

Humidity should not be an issue either as I have laptop almost identical, but a year older running a CNC lathe in my machine shop. It gets covered with mist and spray coolant and has been going strong for 3 years.

Besides I know of lots of people in PI that have laptops, old and new. On another PI forum that I frequent where a large number of those people live in the PI, pretty much everyone has hi-speed or dial up. They probably live in major cities though and my friend is in Cebu.

Even so, if it stops working then she can just toss it in the garbage or sell it for what she can get. Might make a few months cafe fees. :)

OK, Customs I had not thought about that but i'll chase it down. Thanks, that could have gotten expensive fast.

If Internet cafe is only 20p/hour then that is probably the best option to send money as she goes past a cafe on her way to and from work.
HappyDave

Postby Edwin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm

HappyDave, I am glad that you figured this out. I was not aware that there are appliances that will work with different voltages. I've not really had occasion to need that information, but that is good to know. Everything would probably be fine, except like you say with the internet cafe on her way coming and going to and from work, and with the cost that low, the internet cafe probably makes sense, unless the place is so busy that she can't get on. When I was in the Philippines the one time I was in Scooby's in Tanjay City, there was an internet cafe in the place, but it was so busy, even with people standing in line that I decided not to worry about getting on. My family at home was worried about me because I didn't go where they thought I was going to be going, and they didn't hear from me, but Carol called her brother, who called my friends to ask me to get in touch with them. My friend's nephew was going home where he had computer and internet, and he wrote them, telling them everything was fine. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 pm

eric wrote:My opinion would be send money instead of the computer or a new computer but i personally wouldnt send the old one. Just my two cents worth.

Eric, send chocolate candies, or send flowers. They can't eat the computer, nor can they enjoy the beauty and the fragrance of the computer, but they can eat the chocolate while enjoying looking at the flowers. This brings another thought. I was told that fragrance is one thing that is stamped on a person's memory, so send beautiful flowers with a lovely fragrance, and our bf/gf will never forget you, huh? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Tue May 01, 2012 12:41 am

Edwin wrote:
eric wrote:My opinion would be send money instead of the computer or a new computer but i personally wouldnt send the old one. Just my two cents worth.

Eric, send chocolate candies, or send flowers. They can't eat the computer, nor can they enjoy the beauty and the fragrance of the computer, but they can eat the chocolate while enjoying looking at the flowers. This brings another thought. I was told that fragrance is one thing that is stamped on a person's memory, so send beautiful flowers with a lovely fragrance, and our bf/gf will never forget you, huh? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Yes, filipina loves flowers and chocolates. Being romantic is what we like in a man. Do you know how big smile of a woman who receives flowers and chocolates? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D It is like these :D :D :D :D :D It feels that he is with us in spirit even he is far from us. What a wonderful feeling.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby ms.sin17 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:19 am

crisipicada wrote:
Edwin wrote:

Yes, filipina loves flowers and chocolates. Being romantic is what we like in a man. Do you know how big smile of a woman who receives flowers and chocolates? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D It is like these :D :D :D :D :D It feels that he is with us in spirit even he is far from us. What a wonderful feeling.

I SO AGREE WITH YOU, crispi!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Everything eLse that is happening in the earth is tempOrary, yOu cOnsider, everything that is gOing On is just Vanity. . .
ms.sin17

Next

Return to General Forum