What hobbies do you have?

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

What hobbies do you have?

Postby Smiley » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:50 pm

When all of the serious business of the day has been taken care of how do you like to spend your time?Do you like to fish, read, build things? Are you a collector?Do you teach squirrels to square dance? C`mon tell us what you like to do ok?
Smiley

Re: What hobbies do you have?

Postby Edwin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:55 pm

I guess a hobby is what you do when you are not working hard to make a living. Flying an airplane is a hobby to many people. They spend more money than they can afford to flying. Often times with extra education and more practice people become commercial pilots. One person told me that once a person goes commercial flying ceases to be a hobby and becomes a means of earning a living, and then it is not as much fun any more. I have had several hobbies over the years. I kept honey bees for a while. I got enough hives going and got into the business end of it for a while to where it was not so much fun anymore. I have enough equipment so I could get started again, but I don't know whether or not I will. That is on the back burner, and I could get it going again if I want to do that. I played trombones for many years with various groups, but never professionally. It was fun to play. I decided a few years ago to learn to play the piano, and I would say that is my hobby now. I have a collection of church hymn/song books, and I get a book and play every song. It is fun for me, and it ministers to my soul. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby red » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Hhmm....when i was single i like to read books. Hard for me to get off the book then i can finish a book for 2 days sometimes and 1 week for longest. Now, I still read books mostly inspirational kind. And oh yes movies. Love to watch movies I just rent them and sit down on couch eating chips. I also like scrapping albums. I like to collect little figurines angels like that. Nice.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:26 pm

My wife, Carol, crochets, knits, and reads books. She also cards wool sometimes, and she spins that wool into yarn, and then she plies the yarn into a number of strands. She tried using the loom to weave, but she doesn't like to do that. It is tedious, and takes a lot to learn whether to go over or under, and to keep track of what you did last, and what you are going to do next, and she just does not have the patience for that. Our daughter weaves, and my sister-in-law does also, and Carol tried it and decided that it is not for her. Our daughter who is presently and temporarily living with us talks and texts on the cell phone, and she also loves to watch movies on DVDs. She tried facebook, but there were misunderstandings, anger, and hard feelings over the texting, so she unregistered her facebook, and now she doesn't even want to look at anyone else's facebook account. Sad for her, but she's not the only one who has had trouble because of facebook. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:17 pm

I love fishing but it has been a couple years since I`ve had a line in the water.I`m going to change that this spring.
I have always loved motorcycles,been riding for over 40 years.I don`t ride quite as much as I used to but still do 6 to 10 thousand miles a year.Right now I`m rewiring my 32 year old Harley.hope to be finished this week,depending on my workload.
Love music, I lean toward the blues.I`m not a musician,but I am involved in the local scene and have been the curator of Canadas only Blues Museum.
Smiley

Postby red » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:12 pm

I also found a hobby of shopping for my girls.. :D I like to dress them up mix and match clothes, collecting accessories for them.
red

Postby Edwin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:49 pm

That's fun for you, huh, Red? Our grandkids used to know where to go to change clothing on dolls online, I think. They could choose colors and types of clothing. They could also choose hair colors and hair styles. I can't remember now what else, but they could change the dolls all around until they would look entirely different. When we still lived and worked in the National Park, I started playing the piano, and I started collecting church hymn/song books. I can't even remember now how many of them I have, but I have a lot of them. They would fill a fair sized bookcase. I have Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Church of Christ, Pentecostal, Assemblies of God, and some others that I am not even thinking about. I have them from the late 1800s all the way up to fairly modern. I started off buying them off ebay, and then I discovered that I could actually get them cheaper from the used and antique stores, as well as old book stores. I do have duplicates, several copies of some hymn/song books. I still pick them up when I found them reasonable, but I am no longer aggressively looking for them. Lately whenever I find a book, I usually have those same songs in several other books. When we were visiting a Pentecostal Church of God service, I actually saw an Assemblies of God hymn/song book that I don't have, so I will need to look for that one. It had a lot of Bill and Gloria Gaither's songs in it. Not long ago I played songs out of a 1940s Army and Navy hymn book. It is fun! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby red » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:41 pm

I love music it always been when i can't read or watch movie it is music that i would like to hear. My husband gave me a very nice guitar and keyboard but heck i think music don't like me. I listen to a variety from gospel, alternative rock, soul, lately, i love to listen those music of black divas, earth wind and fire band, and Hall and Oats.

So Sir Ed, which is easy to learn keyboard or guitar? I think keyboard is easier. I know how to play happy birthday and mary had a little lamb on keyboard ha ha!
red

Postby Edwin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Yes, I agree music great to lift the spirits, minister to the spiritual man, and for other purposes also. It adds to the romantic moments. They have dinner music. They have elevator music. They have music they play in stores. Music helps in our worship to the Lord. Music is great with our happy occasions. Music is great to cheer a person when down. Whether you listen to it or make it, it is great. My parents got a piano out of a grange hall before I was born. They wanted all of us to learn to play it. My older brother told me that they tried to get him to play it also, but he said he would rather listen to someone else play. My older sister learned well enough so that she played the piano while another guy sang Christian music on the radio. My younger sister learned, but she still does not play extremely well. She can play an accordion as well as my older sister. My younger brother played the trumpet. I played trombones most of my adult life, and I decided a few years ago to learn to play like my folks wanted me to. Now it is a hobby to play the piano, and I'm still not as good as I want to be. I have played the accordion in the absense of a piano, but never learned it well. I still might play it more.

An Assemblies of God minister taught me a few chords, and I played a guitar in church when I was about 14 years old or so. I think both the guitar and the piano can be challenging, depending on what level of difficulty a person tries. On the guitar I only learned just 3 basic chords, and then moved up and down the fret for various key signatures. I am doing okay with the piano, and I am getting more comfortable with the keys and notes all the time. I think either instrument takes lots of work, but you just start easy and keep working on it, and don't be discouraged if you think you can't play like you want to. It will come with time and practice. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 am

So true about the effort needed to excel at music. I have met some of the best guitarists in the world.They make the near-impossible look easy.
I`m not sure who it was,but I think that it was Buddy Guy,had a fan tell him that he would give anything to play like Buddy. Buddy simply asked him if he would give 5-10 hours a day for 10 years? The fan got kinda quiet but had a better understanding of what it takes.
Some people are total naturals but even they have to work at it.Most have to work a lot harder.I have neither the time or the talent
Smiley

Next

Return to General Forum