Staying In Love

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Staying In Love

Postby Edwin » Mon May 27, 2013 2:40 pm

How do you stay in love over the long haul. It is common to have a young couple so in love that they can't wait to get married, but after a few months, a few years, or many years they hate each other! There are many reasons for this, and simple solutions are to seek God, put God first in your relationship, treat the other person as you would want to be treated, put yourself in their shoes, and ask yourself, "If I were that person, what would I want? Communication and understanding is very important, and it is to practice I Corinthians 13:!

Here are some ideas I found off from Yahoo News which deals with this subject, and offers some good ideas:

5 secrets for staying happily in love forever
By Maria Carter

What’s the secret to staying head-over-heels in love for the long haul? Researchers believe they have found the answer. Building on a previously established research framework, researchers at the University of Illinois have recently highlighted the most important factors in maintaining successful romantic relationships. Professor of Human Development Brian Ogolsky and colleague Jill R. Bowers conducted a meta-analysis of 35 studies and more than 12,000 individual reports to establish that couples at every relationship stage consistently use the following five strategies to preserve (or improve) their bond:

Secret #1: Openness in all communications between both partners
Engaging in open communication — i.e., talking about your feelings and encouraging your partner to do the same — defines openness, says Ogolsky, co-author of The Developmental Course of Romantic Relationships (Routledge Academic; May 15, 2013). Bowers describes openness as “conversational self-disclosure” between both partners. “During relationship initiation, openness could mean disclosing personal information about yourself or being supportive when your partner does. For couples who have been married for years, it may mean talking about how the relationship has changed — for better or worse.” Tera, 25, and Misha, 26, both of Ontario, B.C., have been together for five years, and the couple saw early on that their easy communication style was an indicator of true mutual compatibility. “We talk about everything,” says Tera. “It began when we first met; that’s how you know this person is different. It’s like: ‘Wow, I was never this open and honest with someone right away before.’ We’ve tried to maintain that.”

Secret #2: Approaching every issue from a place of positivity
The idea that a cheerful smile or playful jab trumps an exasperated sigh is actually true. “Rather than saying, ‘I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to put the toothpaste cap back on,’ take a fun or silly approach by putting a sticky note by the toothpaste that says, ‘Help! I’ve lost my cap,’” recommends Bowers. “It’s the playful approach and the positivity in your tone that makes a difference in how your partner perceives your actions.” Having a positive outlook helped Maura Sweeney, author of The Art of Happiness series, bond with her husband after meeting him at Boston College more than 35 years ago. A self-professed former “bookworm” who had never “engaged in any kind of athletic pursuit,” Maura felt intimidated when Jim — a basketball player on an athletic scholarship — asked her to shoot a few hoops with him. “He said, ‘You can’t put the ball in the basket? Did you ever try?’ But in the next minute, he said: ‘Well, if you’ve never tried, then how do you know that you can’t?’ I am so much of who I am today because I married a guy who saw every bit of potential in my life,” says Sweeney.

Secret #3: Mutual assurances about spending the future together
Couples who aren’t married still appreciate knowing their relationship has staying power. “Assurance means inspiring confidence in your partner that you’re going to stick around,” explains Ogolsky. “So, make plans together. If you plan a vacation, you’re basically indicating that you’re not going to run away between now and when that trip will occur.” Julian Sutter, a communications director for online mental health resource HealthShire.com, says that he and his girlfriend Ally don’t make rigid plans very far in advance, but their conversations about the future seem to arise organically. “We have very different furniture styles; on our fifth date, we had that funny moment of wondering, ‘What are we going to do with all our furniture?’ We’re not at that point in our relationship yet, but those kinds of conversations do come up.” Bowers says a demonstration of commitment and faithfulness like this varies by a couple’s relationship stage. “In earlier stages, it could mean saying: ‘I really enjoyed spending time with you and I want to go on many more dates,’ but later, partners may openly talk about getting married,” explains Bowers. “Talking about things that you’ll do in the future together emphasizes that you’re both in it for the long haul.”

Secret #4: Equable division of household chores both partners can agree on
Although divvying up household responsibilities mostly affects couples who live together, those who plan to cohabitate in the future should discuss what they think is fair when it comes to doing dishes and taking out the trash. “Each partner’s perception of this strategy is important to his or her satisfaction and to the quality of the relationship,” says Bowers, who emphasizes that every couple’s approach to this issue will be different. Taking equal roles or going grocery shopping together (as opposed to one person doing everything) provides opportunities to strengthen the relationship, adds Ogolsky. “My husband loves to cook, but hates to clean,” says Sweeney. “I do the dishes and clean the house, and he handles all the food shopping, preparation and cooking. He’s a great laundry folder, and I always start a load and change it out when they’re ready. We both do household chores; there’s nothing about us that’s sexist.”

Secret #5: Nurturing a shared social network
Your brother-in-law may be the most annoying person you know, but inviting him to dinner shows that you still care — and that’s a gesture that’s more thoughtful than even the biggest bouquet of roses. Calling your partner’s in-laws, inviting his or her coworkers to dinner or asking family members for gift suggestions for your honey are all good ways to integrate your social lives. “Friends tend to be a very good source for getting feedback about your relationship,” says Ogolsky. Maria and Onno met on Match.com while she was living in Geneva and he was based in London; the two have been married for 11 years. Their courtship inspired the couple to co-author From a Virtual Fling to the Real Thing: Diary of an Internet Relationship. They make a point to see friends and Maria’s family (who lives nearby) regularly. Onno calls his in-laws “absolutely fantastic” and looks forward to spending time with them; Maria says that “they get along really well” with her husband. “By sharing circles of friends — at least, those who are happy in their own relationships — you’ve got groups of people that you can adapt maintenance strategies from and people who’ll hold you accountable as a couple,” explains Bowers. “This can influence your relationship in positive ways.”

Appreciating your partner’s efforts to keep the relationship going strong is essential
Appreciating your partner’s efforts is essential for maintaining a happy relationship. Ogolsky and Bowers’ research suggests that seeing your partner devote the time and energy to making these efforts may have even stronger positive effects than doing them yourself would. “We saw a stronger association between observing or perceiving your partner following these strategies and feeling good about your relationship,” says Ogolsky. “If I see my partner doing positive things, it makes me feel better and more committed to the relationship.” And if you’ve hit a bump in the road, Bowers recommends seeking out a professional’s advice. “There can be negative connotations with couples who seek counseling, [but] if most people had not gone through some rough patches, there would not be so much research on these issues,” she explains. As two individuals with distinct personalities and expectations, you’re bound to eventually disagree on some issues. Seeing a therapist for regular tune-ups can get your relationship back on the road again.

Maria Carter is a freelance writer in Atlanta.

This article is a courtesy of Match, and I won’t finish it, because that would provide a hot link, and it is again the policies of jaderune.com to include hotlinks. :D :D
Edwin

Re: Staying In Love

Postby crisipicada » Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Sir, I really appreciate your post here. I know, it is important to have constant communication. One thing a man should learn or the woman should teach the man, is to be sensitive.

Women, are using their emotion a lot while men tend to be frank and say what is in their mind. While considering a relationship, it is important to know how to respond to someone.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Yes, Crisi, it is very important to be sensitive. When the man is being frank and getting ready to say what is on his mind he needs to put himself in the place of the woman, and ask himself, "Now how would I feel if this were being said to me?" Taking care of the feelings of others is important. I don't think I am any part woman; I am masculine, hemale, man, maybe macho, strong, bold, but I am also a very sensitive person, and I have always been that way. I get my feeling hurt easily, and I often take what is being said the wrong way. I get hurt easily, and I am not tough when it comes to emotions. That was an evaluation that my older brother gave of me when he was in his early 20s and I was in my teens. He said that I was too sensitive, and yes, that is my nature. I have improved, because that is no longer as true of me as it once was, but I am still a little that way. So, I know from experience that it is important to realize how we are sounding when we say something. We can be sensitive to the feelings of other people! :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:32 am

I think that Secret #3 (Mutual assurances about spending the future together) is not just before a formal relation. One should show with words and actions also after marriage that they never put in doubt the relation. Unfortunately, in love too many vane words are spent, and then in reality people are selfish and behave very differently. So, many take relations too easy. When there is something the don't like, they just break up the relation, or menace their partner to leave him/her. It becomes very devastating to the other person to experience a breakup like this.
Indeed, it is true that the one who flies is the one who wins, because they leave in their partner a sensation of loss. This often becomes a sensation of submission, and they try to fix something for which they start to feel a sort of guilt, even if they have no guilt. Those are all protection mechanisms that take place in the mind of the sincere ones. But this only leads to further destruction and a miserable life.

So, it is very important to give one's partner always the assurance that you are and will be always there for him/her, in the good and in the bad. Marriage, unfortunately, is a "contract". So, we have to pay always the attention that our partner does not feel it that way, or like a rope on his/her neck. Marriage must be the result of love, and the contract of marriage must be the seal of that love.

Love can open the gates of heaven, but also the doors of hell. It really depends on our commitment the direction it will take. So, staying in love is more than just "staying in love". It means not having a miserable life, staying in tune with our Creator, have a blessed life.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Edwin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes, Mystic, that is good. It is Christ first, others second, and me last, and then everyone will be in good condition, taken care of with no hurt dealt. That is the best say. God is to be in the center of our Marriage and the head of our home! :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:16 am

Maybe faithfulness and monogamy are genetic. A new study identified two genes responsible for faithfulness, and two substances that stimulate them.

So, maybe in a near future we will be able to have a simple test to tell us whether a person will be faithful and take marriage seriously. But this opens an enormous door to a lot of speculation. Are unfaithful persons not guilty? Do they just follow their genetic imprint and we are trying to force them to behave against their nature? Are there people/nations that have better genes of faithfulness than others? I don't want to think if this might be true.

Here is an article:

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/35826/title/Epigenetics-Play-Cupid-for-Prairie-Voles/
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Edwin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 pm

This is a very interesting subject. Many of the Old Testament people, even God's people had more than one wife. Solomon had 1000 wives, and someone here on this forum a few years old brought up the postulation, "When did Solomon have time to brush his teeth!" Abraham tried to help God out when he thought God was being too slow giving him the promise of an heir, so he had Eshmael. Jacob had two wives, and this was common of many of those people back then. Jacob I think it was visited a prostitute. One of the prophets was commanded to marry an unfaithful woman, or harlot actually, and one harlot and one gentile because King David's grandmother and great grandmother, both being gentiles, and making Jesus more Gentile than he was Jew, although Jesus was from the Tribe of Judah, was the Son of God as well as Son of Man, and the second person of the Trinity, God, who was forever in eternity, and will be forever after in eternity, with no beginning and no end, very God as well as very man! In the New Testament the leaders in the church were to be blameless, in control of their households, and the husband of one wife, and some said, one wife at a time! Generally in our society the ideal is to have one wife, from the beginning to the end, and be faithful to her. :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 am

Well, we could add that Catholic priests cannot marry now, which in the past was allowed. All those seem more human rules rather than natural or godly rules.
I am in favor of priests marrying a woman. They have to give the example and they should not be a barren tree. It should be forbidden to an unmarried priest to be a priest.

Ed, now that you mentioned it, I always wondered about the Christian trinity, which is a vertical trinity, tree-wise - father, son , holy spirit. The ancient trinity (pre-christian) was horizontal - God, father, mother. The former seems to stress the eternal evolution of things. The latter suggests stability, foundation, the place where everything starts and ends. So, the latter reflects more and is closer to the concept of God (I am the first and I am the last). The former, instead, has a sort of Zen flavor (all changes, all is in perpetual evolution). It is more focused on the "evolving of time" - the fourth dimension.
mystic

Postby Edwin » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:11 am

Mystic I am with you one the Catholic priesthood and marriage. The observation I will make is that often new Christians are almost militant in their beliefs, and sometimes they are a little hard on the rest of us. I can understand that, and I have observed that in my years of ministry, years ago. When people first become Christians they are so enthused about it, that they sometimes tend to be critical of all others. I know that to be true of the family that I grew up in, as Mom and Dad became Christians, and we had a difficult time realizing that people from other churches were actually Christians as well. I had those impressions for many years, thinking that people from other churches were not quite as good a Christians as we were. We had such high standards compared to others! We didn't dance, we did not use tobacco or alchohol. We did not wear jewelry or makeup, and the women wore strickly dresses and long hair, and we judged people by those standards. I know when I was a little boy one of our ministers was not going to use a very effective evangelist because his wife wore makeup!

I think Catholics are wonderful people, and as long as they believe in Jesus and salvation, and practice the Christian life I think they are okay. I know there are many people on this forum who are Catholic, so I am going to try not to be offensive in any way, and you can have your belief regardless of the way I believe, and I will not judge you harshly because of that. Many things about the Catholic doctrine I agree with, and there are a few things that I don't agree with. One thing you mentioned, mystic, is marriage and the priesthood. I know of someone in our community who was a Catholic Priest who left the church because he wanted to get married and have a family. He did so, and now he is a United Methodist Minister, and I only agree with that group in so far as they follow the teachings of the Scripture. Anyway the Bible speaks of some forbidding others to marry, and that is wrong in my opinion. Everyone has the desires for procreation and to have sexual fulfillment, and to deny that causes problems, and the Catholic church has had many problems with their priests over that very issue, and I think they would be better off to allow, or even encourage their priests to be married. :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:45 am

Ed, what do you mean with "new Christians"? Do you mean "converts" or just Christian congregation that came after Catholics? It's a bit of a new expression to me. I'm not used to see converts, but I know people of many different congregations (i.e. Christian flavors). I also don't believe in being a convert. That's why I am still a Catholic, despite I follow Judaism in the context of an interfaith organization.

However, it makes me feel good to read from your description how certain Christians are. It makes me think of values. I know there is still fervor in the US. Unfortunately, here in Italy indifference reigns.
mystic

Next

Return to General Forum