What Interesting Things do you encounter when you walk?

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: What Interesting Things do you encounter when you walk?

Postby Edwin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 am

Carol started walking with me at the beginning of this week. She is only walking 1.5 miles, while I am walking 6.5 miles, but I am glad she is walking that much. Last summer she was doing 2.5 miles, but she has not felt as well this summer, so any walking is better than no walking. Tonight when she went to the house, the smaller dog went with her. Then after about 30 or 40 minutes that dog, Rand, came and joined Scooby and me. For some reason tonight Scooby wanted to smell of everything, examine most everything, and pee on as much stuff has he had juice for! He would run back and forth, and I didn't know whether we were ever going to get our walking in or not! Then he took a notion to walk fast and I could just barely keep up with him! We could still see to get back to the house, and that was the main thing. The days are getting shorter, or the daylight hours are getting shorter already. It is over a month beyond the day with the most day light hours of the year. Toward the end of August it will be so dark we will not be able to see at 7:00 or 7:30 p.m.! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 am

I have been starting my walking at 7:00 p.m. That has been getting me back early enough to still have enough daylight left to see. Now the days are already having less daylight time. Lately it has really been hot, and I shouldn't leave for my walk any before 7:00 p.m. because it is too hot for the doggies to walk before that time. As it is, it is hot enough so that they can't walk very fast during the first two of the three rounds. So my problem is that I can't start walking any earlier because of the heat, and I can't walk fast for the first two rounds because it is too hot for the doggies, and so leaving at that time, it is almost dark when I finish. I am alright for now, but as August progresses and we have less daylight time, I will have to leave earlier to get back before dark. Maybe this hot weather will break, be cooler, and then I can start walking a little earlier. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:10 am

Our roads are dirt, clay, and gravel, and a few rocks that are very damaging to tires. We have had a hot spell lately, with no rain, so the roads are getting really dry and dusty, with some places chopped up into chuck holes. I try to figure out which direction the air movement is, so that I will get on the correct side of the road, so the dust will drift away from me. When I make a mistake I really do get dusted! Most drivers are very kind and slow down a lot driving past me. Once in a while someone actually stops and talks with me, and that is fun! When there is very little or no air movement the dust hangs forever, and I have to walk for a while breathing the dust, but usually there is some air movement. When a car or truck is coming I hold the collar/harness of the big doggie, Scooby, and I hold Rand's foot, because he can't help himself but want to chase them, and it is too dangerous for him, especially if there is a trailer being towed! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Previous

Return to General Forum