Photo Quiz

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: Photo Quiz

Postby Chas » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Found it. Many thanks for that. Cheryz was also right as I found Country Homes Road not far away. I can now update my notes.
Chas

Postby jadegil6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Good. He sent this message while I was out today:

Michael,

After I sent that message I thought about it a bit. There are other, better, more interesting old locomotives in the area. The entire island is basically involved in growing sugar cane and the whole area at one time was linked by a rail system that would take the cane to the mills. There is a locomotive on display as you enter Victorias Milling Company's compound, and another on display at the Lopez Sugar Mill in Sagay. He can do a web search for those and probably come up with some photos and history.

Glen
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Chas » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 am

Please thank him for me Michael. I think I have now photographed every remaining steam locomotive on the Island of Negros from Bais in the South to Sagay in the North.

My only doubts are there may be locomotives inside the Victorias Mill (I have photos of the one outside) as I have not tried to get in as I understand they have a strict no photograph policy in the Mill. Also the mill at Binalbagen, I forget the company, might have two wrecks inside. Twice I have tried to get access to that mill and on the second attempt I was told the wrecks had been removed for scrap. Not sure if it was true or they just wanted to get rid of me :lol:

I have been round Hawaiian Philippine Mill and La Carlota Mill. There are two locomotives at Central Lopez mill, Sagay, and one in the plaza at Sagay. There is a locomotive at San Carlos. An old man on the Toledo/San Carlos ferry told me there was one in Escalante, but I could not find it. He said it had been given to the town when the mill closed, but maybe it was scrapped. Nobody in Escalante seemed to know of any locomotives.

There is a steam locomotive on display outside Bais, but I do not know if there are any left in the Mill. I do not think so.

There is a locomotive in a scrap yard in Iloilo City, it was brought over from La Carlota and put on display outside a car dealership, but got rid of when the car dealership changed to Kia. I am not aware of any other locomotives on Panay.

There are three locomotives on Cebu. An English steam engine inside the Bogo Medellin mill and diesel engines on display in Bogo plaza and Medellin plaza. I wonder how they survived Yolanda?

If I want to find any other locomotives in the Philippines I think I need to look on Luzon.
Chas

Postby cheryz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 am

chas i know the name of subdivision LA HERENCIA. :D
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
cheryz

Postby Chas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 pm

cheryz wrote:chas i know the name of subdivision LA HERENCIA. :D

Many thanks. I have added this to my notes.
Chas

Postby cheryz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Chas wrote:
cheryz wrote:chas i know the name of subdivision LA HERENCIA. :D

Many thanks. I have added this to my notes.

one of my friend often go there because theres a swimming pool inside the subdivision they love to swim :D
thats why she know it.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
cheryz

Postby jadegil6 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:46 pm

I read an article today that a newly formed corporation plans to build a new railroad from Davao to Cagayan de Oro to Zamboanga City, and they plan on using the types of trains used in Europe and Japan...fast ones!
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Chas » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:10 am

jadegil6 wrote:I read an article today that a newly formed corporation plans to build a new railroad from Davao to Cagayan de Oro to Zamboanga City, and they plan on using the types of trains used in Europe and Japan...fast ones!

I have seen this mentioned before. I never believed it would get started as I could not understand the economic case. I did not think there would be sufficient passenger traffic to justify the use of high speed trains. Freight would not need the costly high speed infrastructure. Hopefully I am wrong and the line gets built. The only justification that made sense to me was if it was part of a political settlement making Zamboanga more of an integral part of the Philippines and less of an outpost.

I think there is more chance of the Cebu Bohol bridge being built than this railway and that is unlikely.
Chas

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

Yes, I agree that it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to spend that much money to build something that few people would use. The return on investment would most likely be zero. Possibly it has something to do with the peace talks between the government of the Philippines and the Mindanao Muslims. I doubt that it will ever be built.
In my town we had an old locomotive that was restored, and it pulled a few passenger cars for a 60 mile trip each Sunday for many years as an adventure that people could take just to have an outing, and get a taste of the past. But when the city started the Metro Rail a few years ago, they cancelled that Sunday excursion. The last time I saw it, it was sitting on an used portion of track about 30 miles north of town.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby lyrehc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:50 am

anyone who know's where this is......?????
Attachments
cj.jpg
cj.jpg (51.78 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
lyrehc
lyrehc

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum