Moderator: youngj

Re: Filipina Culture

Postby red » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:10 am

Ooopppppsssss
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby crisipicada » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:50 am

Filipina culture is good. Life being close to the family, being conservative and being nice, too.

In particular, like in dating, the man should court the woman's parents. They must serve to the family. But most of this are not already applicable. But one thing i like is that, the man should sing me song most of the time and i feel so happy and so inlove with him :D :D :D
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Andrewm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Hello. Having read the various posts here that seem to focus on several themes, I have some questions.

First, the themes have been 1) there are true cultural differences between the Philiippines and, say, a Western culture like the USA, Canada/England, or Europe, 2) the primacy of the family in the Philippines, 3) this unreserved devotion of the Filipina woman for her husband, 4) the overall less materialistic approach/lifestyle of the Philippines, 5) the warnings that a Western man should be aware to do nothing to make his Filipina wife jealous, and 6) the Filipina women in the provinces (away from the big cities) are more likely to be traditional, uncomplicated, and devoted in marriage.

Okay....sounds really good for the most part. But you know the time-tested saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is...not so true."

It is not the only destroyer of traditional family/marriage values, but modernity and the ever-present encroachment of materialism are very powerful forces. Sure Manlia can be cosmopolitan...but there are many places in the provinces. But a society looks to the Manlias, New York Citys, Londons, Paris, Sydneys and slowly changes, right? And don't even all the more rural, provincial places -- mostly -- have the internet, mobile phone connectivity, current movies, satelite TV with 130+ channels, 24/7 open stores -- essentially they now also have modernity and all its trappings? Isn't the onward, steady march of consumerism everywhere? So aren't the traditional values very much in decline?

I ask: Are posters here in the Forum telling me that most Filipina women are somehow immune to the "illnesses" that make Western women less interesting for men who seek a traditional values relationship/marriage?

Thus, maybe also this very traditional belief that Forum members assert here: Maybe the fidelity (faithfulness & full devotion) of the Filipina woman to her man is dying just like it has in Germany, France, England, USA and Canada?

Are you going to tell me that soap operas are not on Filipino TV and that they are not popular? Or that pop culture/pop music has not eroded the minds of Filipina women aged 20-40 years old? I am glad to hear and read opinions of others on this. Thank you. Andrew
Andrewm

Postby crisipicada » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:00 am

more than 50% of the population of the Filipinos or 50 Million Filipinos are living in penury. They are working everyday to meet the daily needs. Working for today's need like for food. Being hardworking is one of the best attribute being a filipino. Creative and industrious are two of the good personalities of a good filipino.

We cannot deny the fact of being close to the family. So, filipinos are very sweet to their members of the family. Another is Loyalty. A filipino is loyal to his/her friends. It is good to find a good loyal filipino friend because they are so much willing and sacrifice to you. Being hospitable to strangers are also good attitude. Sometimes, because of hospitality that a filipino possesses, they are willing to spend money and even spend a lot for the strangers coming to their place.
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Being close to the family is a good quality. In our culture we have gotten away from that. When my grandmother was alive we all gathered together at least on Memorial Day to eat potluck together and visit. After she died that stopped for several years, and then one of my cousins took it upon himself and his wife to get that going again, and we are still meeting. He has died but others have taken the responsibility to keep it going and that is nice. For the most part we are not very close. I don't even know a lot of my close relatives, like first cousins, once removed. It is sad. When everyone, and most of our family in the past were into farming and ranching, anyway when they were mostly all ranching they were closer to each other I think. They had to work harder, but they didn't have as many things, like television, computer/internet, and a dozen other things that kept them from spending time with each other.

My nephew was married into a filipino family for a period of time, and that family was close, but they fought like you could not believe. They were always mad at each other over something. It may have just been that family, because I know other filipinos and I have not see it that much with them.

Our daughter is married into an American Indian family. I think they are all closer than what we are. One thing I am really, really happy about is that our daughter and son-in-law are not drinking now, have not been for part of a year, and that really makes me happy. What happened is that our son-in-law got arthritis so badly that he has to take medications to keep from being miserable, and he doesn't dare drink while he is taking those medications, so he and our daughter quit drinking. I think they are happier with less trouble in their lives without alcohol. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:46 am

That is one good quality being close because in times of sadness and problem there are family members you can count on.
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:40 pm

crisipicada wrote:Filipina culture is good. Life being close to the family, being conservative and being nice, too.

In particular, like in dating, the man should court the woman's parents. They must serve to the family. But most of this are not already applicable. But one thing i like is that, the man should sing me song most of the time and i feel so happy and so inlove with him :D :D :D

That is beautiful, Crisi! I think filipina culture is good too! When family members are close and help each other, that is the way it should be! They can help each other during hard times, when they need support from each other! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby Manilaman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:04 am

M&M. I do not disagree with your description of Filipno culture, but I have a question.

If Filipino culture is so good, why not marry a Filipino man? Why look for an American husband? Maybe if you want an American husband you should understand and adapt to his American culture?
Manilaman

Postby crisipicada » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:09 am

That question is hard to answer for a filipina. One thing that I can share about that question is that sometimes you have past experience with a relationship with filipino man. I want to share someone I met, she wants to move on with her filipino bf. She wants to prove that she can have a person who will not ignore her and she try to find someone online.She did. She met the guy in person here in the Philippines. It was a funny story that she find a guy who loves her and do not ignore her.

This was happen one year ago when I stay in my sister beb's apartment. I am hoping she is happy now with the guy. Just like me, I learn to pray for someone and it happened twice, but I think it did not end up good at all because I wanted to find a stable job so that I can help my future husband but then when I am back at church he is getting married then . So I decided to get online if I can find someone faithful.

another thing, they said that man online is sweet and loving. My cousin got married to a white guy from california and they are happily married with two kids. They visit Philippines almost every year. I met them when I was in Manila way back 5 years ago while applying for work.
crisipicada

Postby Manilaman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Andrewm wrote:Hello. Having read the various posts here that seem to focus on several themes, I have some questions.

First, the themes have been 1) there are true cultural differences between the Philiippines and, say, a Western culture like the USA, Canada/England, or Europe, 2) the primacy of the family in the Philippines, 3) this unreserved devotion of the Filipina woman for her husband, 4) the overall less materialistic approach/lifestyle of the Philippines, 5) the warnings that a Western man should be aware to do nothing to make his Filipina wife jealous, and 6) the Filipina women in the provinces (away from the big cities) are more likely to be traditional, uncomplicated, and devoted in marriage.

Okay....sounds really good for the most part. But you know the time-tested saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is...not so true."

It is not the only destroyer of traditional family/marriage values, but modernity and the ever-present encroachment of materialism are very powerful forces. Sure Manlia can be cosmopolitan...but there are many places in the provinces. But a society looks to the Manlias, New York Citys, Londons, Paris, Sydneys and slowly changes, right? And don't even all the more rural, provincial places -- mostly -- have the internet, mobile phone connectivity, current movies, satelite TV with 130+ channels, 24/7 open stores -- essentially they now also have modernity and all its trappings? Isn't the onward, steady march of consumerism everywhere? So aren't the traditional values very much in decline?

I ask: Are posters here in the Forum telling me that most Filipina women are somehow immune to the "illnesses" that make Western women less interesting for men who seek a traditional values relationship/marriage?

Thus, maybe also this very traditional belief that Forum members assert here: Maybe the fidelity (faithfulness & full devotion) of the Filipina woman to her man is dying just like it has in Germany, France, England, USA and Canada?

Are you going to tell me that soap operas are not on Filipino TV and that they are not popular? Or that pop culture/pop music has not eroded the minds of Filipina women aged 20-40 years old? I am glad to hear and read opinions of others on this. Thank you. Andrew

I have lived in several countries so have know women from several cultures and what I find is this. No matter the culture women are women, some nice sweet, loyal, some shrews and unstable. Character is character no matter the culture. Women of good character and women of poor character are present in every culture, probably in similar percentages. The BIG difference in dealing with women is circumstances.

Women look for safety, security and resources--this important as their biological imperative is to produce children. A Filipina of good character who has very limited resources will tend to appreciate a man who provides her with safety, security and resources. Contrast this with an American woman who has grown up in abundance, she has never been without resources and her society safety nets are such that she will never be without resources. Even without a husband the government will provide food, clothing, medical, shelter. So the American woman of character equal to the Filipina just does not have as much need for a man and so places lesser value on her husband. The American woman is not as dependent on a man for the safety, security and resources she needs as is a Filipina from a poor 3rd world country.

If the economy of the USA collapsed and USA economic conditions were equivalent to Philippines, American women would quickly change their attitudes and be much more appreciative of a man who could provide her safety, security and resources.

This may be hard for a person who has never lived in or experienced poverty or 3rd world countries to understand. But that's my experience.
Manilaman

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum