Watch TV

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Watch TV

Postby Manilaman » Fri May 27, 2011 1:05 pm

I am amazed by how many filipinas put "watch TV" under hobbies on their profile. Personally I would never be interested in a filipina who's hobby was watching TV. Would a filipina want a man who put "drink beer and watch TV" or "sit in a chair and do nothing" as his hobby? Sure I realize most filipina's don't have resources to play golf for a hobby, but how about doing something that makes an interesting and contributing person like: garden to raise healthy food for my family, sew clothes for poor children, make candles, sing in choir etc. A filinpa who enjoyed doing something of value with her free time would be much more likely to receive interest from a quality man than a filipina that likes to spend her free time watching TV.
Manilaman

Re: Watch TV

Postby Andrewm » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:12 am

Oh, okay. I'll do it on this post as well. I'll "resussitate" another month-old post that garnered no responses.

I'll have to look to see what Manilaman asserts (He asserts that many Filipinas placed "liking to watch TV" in their profiles), but if this is so, I have to agree with him. Watching television is not much of an appealing characteristic. That won't attract much attention from a good man. Now, learning or practicing a musical instrument, that's interesting. Ditto for artwork, tutoring neighborhood kids, fine culinary skills, coaching a sport, reading classical novels, or helping lead a church Sunday School class.

Here is the unstated (but very relevant) question: Isn't Philippines TV just about 90% garbage just like Western TV? Isn't it all silliness, fake scenarios, overcommercialization, bizarre "reality" shows, cheesy gameshows, sloppy plots with heaps of pop sleaze & decadence? That is what we have in USA/Canandian/UK/European TV. No decent, upright adult would freely admit to watching much TV. No Christian finds much of value on TV (or in the movie theatres)

But maybe the quality of TV is overall better in the Philippines? Perhaps? More educational?

Feedback please. Thank you.
Andrewm

Postby Manilaman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Andrewm wrote:Oh, okay. I'll do it on this post as well. I'll "resussitate" another month-old post that garnered no responses.

I'll have to look to see what Manilaman asserts (He asserts that many Filipinas placed "liking to watch TV" in their profiles), but if this is so, I have to agree with him. Watching television is not much of an appealing characteristic. That won't attract much attention from a good man. Now, learning or practicing a musical instrument, that's interesting. Ditto for artwork, tutoring neighborhood kids, fine culinary skills, coaching a sport, reading classical novels, or helping lead a church Sunday School class.

Here is the unstated (but very relevant) question: Isn't Philippines TV just about 90% garbage just like Western TV? Isn't it all silliness, fake scenarios, overcommercialization, bizarre "reality" shows, cheesy gameshows, sloppy plots with heaps of pop sleaze & decadence? That is what we have in USA/Canandian/UK/European TV. No decent, upright adult would freely admit to watching much TV. No Christian finds much of value on TV (or in the movie theatres)

But maybe the quality of TV is overall better in the Philippines? Perhaps? More educational?

Feedback please. Thank you.

Quality of TV in the Philippines is horrible, worse than the USA. Lots of cheap soap opera type programming. Any Filipina that likes to watch TV as a hobby or in her free time is a bad bet, cause if she marries an American guy she will likely have lots of free time. Any woman siting around watching TV is a bad bet no matter her nationality! I just try to give the Filipinas here a hint, but it seems they are determined to live in their fantasy world where they marry an American and their life will be a princess fairy tale.
Manilaman

Postby Andrewm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:37 am

Yes, most all of us know that the pop TV culture in most lands results in odd, strange, zany, cheap, overcommercialized television programming -- in most cases. Essentially: Things not worth watching.

However, there are those TV shows -- the few -- that have a redeeming quality. These shows tend to specialize in features on nature, the land, natural beauty, animals, sea creatures, and scenic places. They can also be true life cultural shows that feature local folk music, local dress, local customs, local/regional holidays or festivals. Surely there is TV programming in the Philippines that does this. Yes?

Another variety that is fun to see sometimes: A day in the life of _________ (fill in the blank -- the name of some profession). Like a seagoing ship and its crew. A fishing boat with captain and mates. A ranch with the animals raised and the people who do all the hard work. Life for a watchman and his family at a lonely, remote lighthouse. A park ranger. A zookeeper. A woman who heads a school for the handicapped. An artist who specializes in fine ceramics. You get the idea. The show reveals the true-to-life daily living and tasks of those featured. Normal people. Not celebrities or professional actors/TV personalities. Real people.

Are there weekly or monthly feature Philippines TV shows like what I mention above? If so, please name (use the actual show's name and the TV station so people can look them up on the web) them and share this information here. This can help the non Filipinos who visit this site who have interests and curiosity about life in the Philippines -- yes, we want to learn more about the Philippines, its natural beauty, and its tapestry of peoples and cultures.

Recently seeing a 15 minute video clip about a musical family performing their folk music (and singing beautifully!) tells me there must be a TV show that highlights similar folk music groups in the Philippines. (This BIG family lives on Bohol.)

I call this wholesome, educational, interesting (and, yes, even fascinating) television. Surely the Philippines, like most nations, has some real quality TV programming like this. Please share. Thank you. Andrew
Andrewm

Postby crisipicada » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I do not watch TV a lot. Because I am carried away with my emotion especially when it is sad story. It is my weakness to feel pity and get sympathy to those who suffer especially for the typhoon lately. Sad story about cotabato area.

Sometimes TV is on, I just listen while doing something. So, not so attach with television.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Return to General Forum