Your Suggestions to the Webmaster

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Your Suggestions to the Webmaster

Postby chaychay644 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:53 am

I wanna addressed my suggestion to the Webmaster to please put the recent post on the forums on the first page. So that, we could easily read the recent posts made by our fellow members.
chaychay644

Re: Your Suggestions to the Webmaster

Postby jadegil6 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Hi Chaychay. Thanks for becoming an important contributer to the Forum. And as far as your suggestion goes, it would be a good idea to have the most recent posts on the first page....but....uh-oh....you sensed that but was coming, didn't you?

I didn't design the program that determines how the Forum works. That was done most probably by a team of computer programers, and they, in their infinite wisdom, decided to add pages with the most recent reply to a Topic, stuck at the end of the last page. If you reply to a Topic, then that Topic moves to the top of the list of Topics, but your reply is placed at the end of the last page, no matter how many pages are on that Topic.

If I find a way to change the way that the system works, I will. But I have my doubts that is going to happen. So I hope that you and everyone else will understand how it works, and be tolerant and patient, and hit the page icon (located on the right side of the page on the Topic you are reading) to go directly to the last page of posts for that Topic.

Happy reading and power to the people posting!
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Floberto » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 am

Hello,
may I can help you?

If the forum is database driven, you should look for something like this:
SELECT [some fields or *] FROM [a table] ORDER BY [some params] ASC

To change the order of the posts, you have to change the SELECT from ascending (ASC) to descending (DESC).

;)
Floberto

Postby Floberto » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:39 am

by the way, everybody can change the order of the contributions manually. Just look for
and change it from Ascending to Descending
Floberto

Postby chaychay644 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:40 am

jadegil6 wrote:Hi Chaychay. Thanks for becoming an important contributer to the Forum. And as far as your suggestion goes, it would be a good idea to have the most recent posts on the first page....but....uh-oh....you sensed that but was coming, didn't you?

I didn't design the program that determines how the Forum works. That was done most probably by a team of computer programers, and they, in their infinite wisdom, decided to add pages with the most recent reply to a Topic, stuck at the end of the last page. If you reply to a Topic, then that Topic moves to the top of the list of Topics, but your reply is placed at the end of the last page, no matter how many pages are on that Topic.

If I find a way to change the way that the system works, I will. But I have my doubts that is going to happen. So I hope that you and everyone else will understand how it works, and be tolerant and patient, and hit the page icon (located on the right side of the page on the Topic you are reading) to go directly to the last page of posts for that Topic.

Happy reading and power to the people posting!

Hi jadegil6,

Thanks for replying on my post..I appreciate it a lot..if it's really impossible to work that way, well its ok..I am just going to select the last page of whatever topic on the forum that I wanted to read :roll: :roll: :roll:
chaychay644

Postby jadegil6 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:13 pm

Floberto has come to our rescue. Bravo Floberto!! We get by with a little help from our friends.

He is absolutely right. If you look at the bottom of the last reply to a Topic, you will find a box that says Ascending or Descending. Check which way you prefer to have the replies displayed, and then you can look at newer posts first, or last depending upon your preference. You will have to choose this in every Topic, and you can change the way that the Topics are viewed in the same way.

Thank you Floberto for your contribution, and now ChayChay (and everyone else) can change the way the posts can be viewed.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Return to General Forum