Friend, beloved, love

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Friend, beloved, love

Postby mystic » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 am

What is your idea about the differences among being friend, companion, beloved, love, etc.?

I will cite some biblical references from the Hebrew language.

Friend/companion is Yedid. The vowels are usually not written in Hebrew, or are signposts (matre lectionis), such as the "o" or "y". So, the really important letters are DD.

But also beloved contains DD: Dod. This seems to infer that the beloved is a "special friend". When you say Yedid, the "i" sound stays in the head. The "o" sound of Dod, instead, descends into the throat and the chest. It goes deep down the body. So, the beloved has the depth that the friend lacks. It is also less spiritual (it leaves the head) and becomes more practical, going to the chest, a sign that with the Dod you talk the way you really are. There is a good knowledge and agreement between the two.

Dod also means pot, kettle. So, the beloved is like one's "vessel". If you fill the pot with the content of your heart, through a good communication, the Dod treasures it and guards it, as in a pot.

Dad (DD) also means breast. From the breasts come the milk that feeds the baby. So, the Dod nurtures the other through support, assistance, loyalty, etc.

Finally, love is a different word: Ahavah. This is the pronunciation. It is written AHBH (B being pronounced as V). There is only one letter difference with YHVH (Lord), if we substitute the letter B with the V. It shares its root with the [non existent] verb "to be" and it is in the present, first person. Like saying: "I am". Instead, YHVH could be considered in the third person: "He is". I know I am stretching the meaning a little bit, but they are just reflections about the roots and the sounds of the words. There is still one step (B is not V) toward divinity, but there is still a similar assonance.
So, love is the identity of one person. Like in the phrase "one man woman". Ahavah means finding one's true identity/being. It means implicitly to be, to exist. You discover life when you love. That's why it is so important to find the right person that will make our identity with us. Love and marriage are something very sacred.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Re: Friend, beloved, love

Postby crisipicada » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:13 am

Friend - "a friend loveth at all times and a brother in times of adversity. " Someone who is there for you and will understand you and someone you can count on. He/she is loyal, faithful and wont ever betray you. If he/she find something wrong you are doing, he/she is there to correct you or give you some advice, words of wisdom, guidance and some thoughts to ponder.

Beloved- beloved is something special. My sister adress her soon to be husband as beloved. Someone who is special at heart. It involves love and care. Trust and confidence and is deeper then friend.

Love - love is also the same as beloved. But there are specific of whom you address. Like, beloved parents, friends, husband or wife etc. Love to someone opposite gender means to your husband or wife. It is more intimate to each other.

Hard to express or explain or differentiate but can simplify what you are referring to.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby mystic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:40 am

crisipicada wrote:Love - love is also the same as beloved. But there are specific of whom you address. Like, beloved parents, friends, husband or wife etc. Love to someone opposite gender means to your husband or wife. It is more intimate to each other.

Very good, but love is something higher, connected directly to the concept of life. Life is not perfect without love. A Tree of Life (babies babies babies, as bigblastguy suggests) is not produced without love. Love is the essence of being, the essence of life.... remember that distilled thingy they put inside the chocolate? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Because your love is better than life" (Psalm 63:3)

"The Lord’s love is with those who fear him" (Psalm 103:17)

"For your love is more delightful than wine" (Song of Solomon 1:2)

"Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death" (Song of Solomon 8:6)
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby mystic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am

Rigoletto (1851), Act 1, Scene 2

It's the sun of the soul,
life is love,
its voice is the throb
of our heart...

and fame and glory,
power and throne,
earthly, brittle
things are here.

But there is one
only, divine,
it's love that to angels
draws us near!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYpsY2eRg4
mystic

Friend beloved love

Postby jeromyjfez » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi friends, I recently lost my all-time beloved best friend of 20 years on Feb. 20th. He and I spoke every night for 7 months during his horrific battle with pancreatic cancer, I was his main spiritual/emotional support person. After he died, I cried every day for 3 weeks... the memorial service for him wasnt until 2 weeks ago. Since the service I once again find myself feeling this constant deep pain and emptiness, like an energetic depression.

I didnt expect there to be so much ongoing distress and emptiness after this event, is this normal?

Thanks for your ears, God bless
jeromyjfez

Postby Edwin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:26 pm

jeromyjfez, my wife's brother who lived on Guimeras Island for, I think, about 14 years died last April. He first had prostate cancer, and they thought they got that taken care of. The next year or two he came down with colon cancer, and they performed surgery, thinking they got it taken care of. He dropped a lot of weight and thought he was being really healthy. He then got a flu shot in October, after which he had a cough that wouldn't go away, so they examined him, and found spots on his lungs, and after further examinations, they determined that he had stage 4 cancer, spread all through his body, and they gave him just a few months to live. He came to see all of us in October when he learned this bad news. At that time he felt fine, but his situation deteriorated rapidly after that. He did accept Jesus as his savior before he died last April, so we are all very pleased about that.

I came back from walking my doggies, and Carol, my wife, was crying. She so seldom cries, and I asked her what was wrong, and she told me that her brother died. His wife in the Philippines had a really hard time with his death, and Carol is having trouble still, as they were full brother and sister, the only ones, and it is very sad!

I pray the Lord will comfort you in your loss! :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:25 am

Take his remembrance as your strength. You did a good action and he is certainly watching over you from above now. So... feel him and don't be sad or feel empty. Allow him to send you strength... and allow the Lord to bring you forward now.
mystic

Postby Edwin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:56 pm

"I am my beloved, and my beloved is mine," means that the love is reciprocated. I love, and I am loved in return. It has to do with intimacy. This is more and has a greater depth than just friendship. This has to do with ownership in the good sense of the word. Love should really be more than one descriptive word, instead of just saying love. Love is acceptance and warmth. Love has good feelings and also purpose at the same time. Love can be between enemies fulfilling the law of Christ. Love can be among family members. Love can involve intimacy, and can include sex. So love really is many things. When we say, "I love you," which of these meanings do we give to it? :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 am

That's a very good point. Is love ownership?

This makes me think. My question goes further than the simple "do we own the other person, if our other half is part of us?" I would ask first: Do we own ourselves? Because, before owning the other, we should theoretically own ourselves.

But here it becomes a question of faith. I would say: No, I don't own myself, because God owns me, as He owns everything. So, with this logic I should say that I don't own my other half either. But indeed there is something that binds one to his/her other half, that is different from all other types of bonding. So, it stays an open question. I would say at most that He gives us our other half as His concession. That she is part of us (our rib) does not change the fact that we are both only temporarily in this world, and effectively owned by God. Any other idea?
mystic

Postby Edwin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 am

Marriage is a picture of the heavenly. When people stray away from God to serve other gods and get involved in idolatry, they are commiting spiritual adultery. As the church we are the bride of Jesus, and He is the bridegroom. We belong to Jesus and Jesus belongs to us. In the same way the wife belongs to the husband and the husband belongs to the wife.

I Corinthians 7:3; "Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. 4;The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife."

Yes, in marriage there is an ownership in a good sense, and it is mutual. One is not to be abusive or unkind to the other. It in the atmosphere of love. The Bible says, that "no man ever hated his own flesh," and the wife is the husband's flesh, so they are to nourish, help, and keep each other.

In the marriage vows the husband and wife are to forsake all others and keep the marriage partner to him/her self. Some of the marriages I have performed in the past as a minister people have objected to the language and requested that I change the wording. Some people do not want to love, honor, and obey!

If you want your marriage to last, you will follow the scriptures be an example of the heavenly. Like the song goes, "Trust and obey, or there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey."

More people go their own way and rebel against God and everything that is descent and right, the more marriages that fail. It is God first, you second, and me last, but many in the world do not see it that way. Follow the scriptural example and have a happy marriage. :D :D
Edwin

Next

Return to General Forum