Worship Music

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Worship Music

Postby Edwin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 pm

When my parents became Christians they traveled into the towns in the valley below us to attend church. They went to one church where anyone who felt led got up out of his/her seat, went up front and was the preacher. They attended another church where the people were friendly at church, but when my Dad saw them on the street they didn't know who he was, so they were discouraged from attending there, being new Christians and all.

They settled on a church, happened to be an Assemblies of God church, that had a wonderful orchestra. In those days there was a song leader, often the pastor, or one of the officials in the church, and they might have accordions, guitars, drums, a piano, and organ, violins, and who knows what other instruments they might have. It was real live entertainment to listen to the church orchestra play. They made beautiful harmonious music.

When I was 2 years old we moved to where there was no church, and my Dad and a preacher started a church. They only had a piano there, and then eventually my brother and I took turns playing a guitar, and that was so many years ago that I don't even know how to play it any more, but I could learn quickly since I at one time when I was about 12 years old played it.
Then one of my friends played a trumpet, but the preacher complained because he didn't understand balance, and he thought he was supposed to drownd out all the other music with his trumpet, and he did that!

I then started playing trombones, and I played them for many years with all various groups, in churches with other instruments, and community orchestras, playing jazz, some rock and roll, some concert type music, classical, and music of all kinds including movie music. I even played with a group called the "Green Village Marching Band," and my conscience bothered me playing with that group, because at church I played, "How Great Thou Art," and then after church I went out with this other group and played something about "Roll Out the Barrels," which was a drinking partying song, but I think the Lord has forgiven ne of that by now! I would not do that again!

In church I played with everything from one piano, to a piano and organ, to lots of instruments. :D :D
Edwin

Re: Worship Music

Postby Edwin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 pm

In church I have always loved the piano, and I have admired some wonderful pianists including my sister-in-law, my brother's first wife. After we were finished working during the day in the field, and after our bath to get the summer follow dirt and grease washed off and finished out supper, Karen and I would have fun half the night playing music. She was wonderful and could play anything from Jazz to Blues, 1920s music, and any music you can imagine. She played the piano and I played my trombone, having more fun than you could imagine.

I wished and dreamed to play the piano, tried to learn, got discouraged many times, but now I can play the piano, and I have an accordion that I could easily learn as well, because I did play it for a while in the absence of having a piano. I am still learning and enjoying playing the old church songs/hymns!

Many times churches get funny ideas, like we don't want the piano music, or throw out the hymnals and just read the words off the overhead, without the notes written which makes it kind of difficult when you don't know the songs.

Anyway God loves music, and he loves to hear us play our instruments and sing to Him, and to each other.

"Praise Him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise Him with the harp and lyre, praise Him with the tambourIne and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute"

Psalms 150: 1; "Praise ye the Lord. Praises God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. 2; Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. 3; Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. 4; Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. 5; Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. 6; Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord." :D :D
Edwin

Return to General Forum