Meditate on these things

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Meditate on these things

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Some Christians get a little skeptical when you start talking about meditation - not seeing the huge distinction between biblical meditation and some types of mystical meditation. In mystical meditation, according to one explanation, "the rational mind is shifted into neutral... so that the psyche can take over." The focus is inward, and the aim is to "become one with God."

In contrast, biblical meditation focuses on the things of the Lord, and its purpose is to renew our minds (Romans 12:2) so that we think and act more like Christ. Its objective is to reflect on what God has said and done (Ps. 77:12;119:15-16, 97) and on what He is like (48:9-14)

In Psalm 19:14, David wrote, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation on my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord." Other psalms reflect on God's love (48:9), His deeds (77:12), His law (119:97), and His testimonies (119:99).

Fill your mind with Scriptures and focus on the Lord's commands and promises and goodness. And remember this: Whatever is true, noble, just, pure, lovely and of good report, "if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things " (Phil. 4:8).

These message touched my heart and mind and reflect on things that is true. I try to live the way I can't hurt people and free myself of any entanglement that creates chaos, but changing my mind is the first place to have in me. What you can see to people is what he is believing and have believed.
Denis

Re: Meditate on these things

Postby mystic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:43 am

People who do not know the language of the Bible cannot really understand how the word "meditation" is used in Bible. In all modern languages, we have just this word, "meditation". In Hebrew, this word does not exist. Instead, there are many different words with a very specific meaning. For example, Hitbodedut, Hitbonenut, Devekut, Yichud, etc.

You perceive this difference, and distinguished between what you call mystical meditation and biblical meditation. But those are just rough categorizations. The thing is much more complex.

What you call mystical meditation seems Hitbodedut, the foundation of all meditations. Somehow it is also the simplest form to bond to God. And Jacob "secluded" (Hitbodedut) in the field and talked (bi-directionally) to God. That's the process of removing one's extraneous thoughts and attain mental calm. However, it's different from eastern practices, because it involves an absence/presence. It's not mental void. All thoughts are there, but only restrained, halted. It's like a bunch of horses on the start line, waiting to gallop. This technique creates a high psychological wave, that is the directed toward a single point in an instant, like a tsunami. The single point is God, with Whom we want to talk. The human mind cannot tolerate above a certain critical emotional point, and the meditation cracks the wall allowing contact with God.

What you call biblical meditation seems Hitbonenut, or one pointed concentration. You chose an ideal, a verse of the Bible, a name of God, and selectively think only of that. You continue focusing strictly, passing through various mental stages (exploration of attributes, refuse, insights, until your self is annihilated an actually becomes the target you are meditating upon). At the end, you are in a sort of ecstasy, since this is a technique of devotion. This is similar also to the Lectio Divina of the Benedictine monks. They take one verse, start brainstorming (exploration of attributes), until they get unique insights that unfold the divine message.

I suggest to everybody who is really touched by the Bible to also take a grammar of Biblical Hebrew. Even if you study just a little, it's really an eternal fountain. You will never regret all you will learn and the horizons that will broaden.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Edwin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Denis, you are right in your view of meditation, and we are admonished to meditate on them day and night. David said, "Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee!" We are also promised that if we keep our minds on Christ He will keep us in perfect peace. Think on these things is wonderful advice, think on the lovely, the beautiful, the good reports, pure, praiseworthy, and virtuous, to name a few. Many scriptures in the Bible admonish us to meditate on God's word and His things. Stay away from the negative, and stay with the positive. We do not go into a transe for our meditation, but we merely keep our minds on God Word and His things! :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Denis wrote:Some Christians get a little skeptical when you start talking about meditation - not seeing the huge distinction between biblical meditation and some types of mystical meditation. In mystical meditation, according to one explanation, "the rational mind is shifted into neutral... so that the psyche can take over." The focus is inward, and the aim is to "become one with God."

In contrast, biblical meditation focuses on the things of the Lord, and its purpose is to renew our minds (Romans 12:2) so that we think and act more like Christ. Its objective is to reflect on what God has said and done (Ps. 77:12;119:15-16, 97) and on what He is like (48:9-14)

In Psalm 19:14, David wrote, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation on my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord." Other psalms reflect on God's love (48:9), His deeds (77:12), His law (119:97), and His testimonies (119:99).

Fill your mind with Scriptures and focus on the Lord's commands and promises and goodness. And remember this: Whatever is true, noble, just, pure, lovely and of good report, "if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things " (Phil. 4:8).

These message touched my heart and mind and reflect on things that is true. I try to live the way I can't hurt people and free myself of any entanglement that creates chaos, but changing my mind is the first place to have in me. What you can see to people is what he is believing and have believed.

I personally experience how I feel so at peace every time I am corrected and reminded the WOrd of GOd, the Bible. It is the basis of my acts and lifestyle. As much as teaching or lesson I learned from other people do not contradict God's wisdom, I will try to learn from them.

To claim God's promise makes my heart happy and when prayers is answered, it makes my heart so joyous. I have learned in life, to obey will always brings blessing, and to disobey, will always lead to destruction. I cannot afford to be in destruction because I am not the only one affected but also the people who loves me. I love them so i take care also of decisions I make in life. ANd it takes wisdom and right decision to make. It needs guidance and His word will always give us wisdom - RIght choices in life. :D :D :D
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:06 pm

We have a saying, "No man is an island," meaning that no one is independent from everyone else. Our actions effect others. Whatever we do, others are blessed or they share in our curse. In the Old Testiment, blessings and curses were put before the people. Promises of blessings were given if the people followed God's laws, and promises of curses were given if the people rebelled against God and His commandments.

The Lord corrects His sons whom he loves. We are children of the Lord if He corrects us, and it is in our best interest to accept correction from the Lord. The Word of God is to be our standard of living, the guide for our lives. As you say, Crisi, other people's teachings are okay, and often inspirational as long as they are in line with God's Word. No one's teachings, no matter how inspirational, and how good, take the place of God's word! God's promises are wonderful for us, and we can claim His blessings. We have to constantly make our choices according to God's Word! :D :D
Edwin

Postby Denis » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:18 pm

When you pick and chose making the readers confuse of what you are trying to persuade. Do you think it would be healthy to the readers of what you believe is wrong or right? Some people would say, well, don't know if it is true or not, as long as this is my point!

Take accountability of what you are saying. Take responsibility of what you are sharing, in the end you are accountable of it.
Denis

Postby Edwin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:00 pm

The scripture advocates; "think on these things," and then it gives list of wholesome things to think about. There is an old saying that we have in our country, USA, "garbage in garbage out," and that simply means that if you feed your mind on filth, eventually that will translate into wrong deeds. So, in other words, criminal materials for the brain, then the results are criminal actions. Also, it doesn't have to be criminal thinking and criminal actions, but thinking about things that bother you. If you meditate on your troubles long enough, they will get bigger and bigger, until they will drive you crazy. The Lord has promised that if our minds are stayed upon Him, He will keep us in perfect peace. This is within our control, as we discipline our minds, and have the mind of Christ within us! :D :D
Edwin

Postby m&m » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:09 pm

For by grace are ye saved though faith, and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God. Not of works lest any man should boast. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is Christ Jesus. For what saith the Scripture, “Abraham believed God and it was counted unto Him for righteousness”.

Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckon of grace but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justified the ungodly his faith is counted for righteousness. For if by one man’s offense debt reign by one much more they which received abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body that ye should obey it in the lust thereof, neither yield ye your members as instrument of unrighteousness unto sin, but yield yourselves unto God as those that are alive from the dead and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. For sins shall not hath dominion over you. For ye are not under the law but under grace, for ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ that though He was rich yet for your sake He became poor that ye through his poverty might be rich and the word was made flesh and dwelled among us and we will held His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, for of grace and truth join their witness at Him and cried saying, “This was ye whom He saying and spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me for He was before me and of His fullness have all we received and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
But by the grace of God, “I am but I am” and by His grace which was that is bestowed upon me, was not in vain but I labored more abundantly than they are yet not I but the grace of God which was with me.

But God who is rich in mercy for His great love where with He loved us even when we were dead in sins hath quickened us together with Christ. By grace are ye saved and hath raises up together and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lust, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present world. Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ.
An intimate relationship w/ God must b our highest priority. When U hav right or poor relationship w/Him,out of that relationshp flows everything else in our life. Thus, your relationship to Him determines how you live your life. It all relates to that
m&m

Postby Edwin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 pm

M & M, that was a very nice job of putting together those scriptures. You did well with outlining God's grace to us, and His expectations that He has for us. You have given us some good things to meditate on, and they are lovely and worthy thoughts! :D :D
Edwin

Postby m&m » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:57 am

Oh, by the way, those are being played and listened at home in the morning. Those are words of encouragement and I just try to write it and share here.

I am glad it is an encouragement to those who are listening and reading these message. :D
An intimate relationship w/ God must b our highest priority. When U hav right or poor relationship w/Him,out of that relationshp flows everything else in our life. Thus, your relationship to Him determines how you live your life. It all relates to that
m&m

Next

Return to General Forum