Hostages taken in Zamboanga

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Hostages taken in Zamboanga

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 pm

Yesterday (Monday September 9, 2013) several hundred islamic rebels of the Moro National Liberation Front attempted a takeover of the local government in Zamboanga City, Zamboanga Del Sur in the western area of Mindanao island in the Philippines. They killed six, including four innocent civilians, one police officer, and one sailor, and have taken approximately 300 civilian hostages in four coastal cities. The Philippine government intercepted boats of about 200 additional rebels headed towards Zamboanga, turned them back towards the islands of Basilan and Jolo, and killed 7 of the rebels. During these naval gun battles is when the sailor was killed. Although they have been surrounded by troops, the rebels are using the hostages as human shields. The leader of the group, former university professor Nur Misuari, stated that the signing of a peace agreement between the government and the MILF (another group of islamic rebels) will no longer guarantee the end of war.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Re: Hostages taken in Zamboanga

Postby Smiley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:09 pm

It is very difficult to reason with fanatics.it is even difficult to fight them using conventional tactics.
About a hundred years ago Black Jack Pershing (US Army) was fighting a losing campaign against the Moro. Under his orders,his troops began lubricating their bullets with lard.All the locals were told that every bullet was greased with lard and it did not take long for the Moros to lose their will to fight. The average Muslim would find dying while contaminated with pig grease worse than waking up married to Oprah.
He and his troops also committed some atrocities involving executing prisoners and burying them with pigs and stuff like that,stuff that I am unwilling to endorse but the Moro militants did remain peaceful for several decades.
When people plan a strategy that involves innocent civilians as intended targets,or human shields,or ransom tactics that group has lost all right to receive compassion from the rest of the world. We would all be better off without such an influence.
The Moro at one time had a legitimate claim to self-rule or at least recognition as a unique segment of the population.I believe that time is long past.
Smiley

Postby jadegil6 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:28 pm

The 2010 census concluded that there are approximately 22 million Filipinos living on the island of Mindanao, and only 10% of those are muslims.
That 10% want to have control of all of Mindanao, and many concessions have already been made to them in an attempt to stop the terrorism which these rebels conduct all over the Philippines. In Zamboanga City where these terrorists have attacked, the majority of the residents are Christians....mostly Catholics. Although the rebels have released some hostages during negotiations and in exchange for food and medical supplies, it is estimated that 170 are still being held. Thousands of residents are fleeing the areas where these terroristic acts are ongoing, creating many other problems. The harbor is full of small boats with refugees, and the surrounding beaches are now full of people who have no place else to go. The rebels are demanding international mediators at this time.
I did some traveling around the Philippines by ferry about 3 years ago. Every time I used a ferry, all of my luggage was x-rayed and also sniffed by dogs, looking for bombs. I spent a week in Davao which is in Mindanao, but Davao is supposedly in the safest part of that island. I had never seen so many police in my life. They (the national police) were everywhere....it seemed like thousands of them were patrolling the city and the areas around that city. I don't think I would be comfortable living in that environment.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby jadegil6 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:13 pm

The hostage crisis in Zamboanga City enters it's 4th day. Now enters a dragon...by that I mean the violent terrorist group known as al-Qaida-linked Abu Sayyaf. These militants attacked a second city today, attempting to set it on fire. That city is the predominantly Christian city of Lamitan, located on Basilan island, a short boat ride from Zamboanga City. Government forces were able to thwart that attack, and saved the city. One soldier was killed, several were wounded, and an unspecified number of militants were killed. Abu Sayyaf is attempting to send additional gunmen to join forces with the MNLF rebels who continue to hold hostages.
The crisis in Zamboanga City has crippled that city. Almost all flights and ferries into and out of the city have been suspended. Schools are closed. More than 15,000 evacuees from the areas that are under siege have taken up residence in schools and at a sports complex near the harbor. The city has a population of close to one million people.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby jadegil6 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:40 pm

As the crisis in Zamboanga continues, more violence has broken out in a different province on Mindanao. In North Cotabato where another group of Muslim terrorists called the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) wounded three civilians with a grenade when they attempted to attack a government militia group. The BIFF warned civilians living near military outposts and checkpoints to evacuate their homes because more attacks would be oncoming. The group's spokesman says that their attack is not related to the MNLF crisis in Zamboanga, but both groups want independence from the Philippine government. He said his group differs from the MNLF in that his group wants to establish Islamic Law in Mindanao. N. Cotabato is in the south-central part of the island.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Smiley » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:29 pm

All of the militant Muslim groups now want the same thing.They want Islam to dominate the entire world. I have no more sympathy for their hatefull cause.

I often chat with my foster-son who lives in Pagadian City.He is very upset regarding this ongoing foolishness.
Smiley

Postby Smiley » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 pm

It looks like the Philippine forces are starting to kick some butt.
51 of the MNLF terrorists have been killed and another 42 captured.And they continue to push forward.

http://www.warsintheworld.com/index.php/2013/09/16/philippines-nearly-100-moro-national-liberation-front-mnlf-rebels-killed-or-captured-in-zamboanga/
Smiley

Postby jadegil6 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:15 pm

I am glad that the Philippine forces are doing something to end the crisis in Zamboanga. But now there has been other incidents in another city in Mindanao...Davao City. Here is the report:
DAVAO CITY – Two major malls in this city were hit by separate explosions caused by improvised explosive devices (IED) Monday evening, September 16.

Davao City Police Office (DCPO) chief Senior Supt. Ronald dela Rosa said cellular phones were probably used to detonate the IEDs.

The first bomb exploded at around 9:05 p.m. inside the SM City cinema in Ecoland area. Initial investigations revealed that the bomb was placed on top of a seat at the front row.

No one was hurt among the 10 persons who were watching a movie when the explosion happened.

The second blast took place at around 9:25 p.m. inside the cinema 5 of Gaisano Mall in Bajada area. The IED, the police report said, was placed under a seat at the 4th row.

Five moviegoers who were inside the Gaisano Mall cinema complained of severe ear pain and were brought to the nearby San Pedro Hospital.

The leaders of the MNLF have denied responsibility, and are blaming outsiders for committing this violence.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:07 pm

More than 90 police officers, soldiers, rebels and civilians have died since the fighting began Sept. 9. At least 82,000 locals have been displaced by the violence.
The rebels took about 180 people hostage, though about 116 of them were later freed or rescued earlier this week.
The police chief, Jose Chiquito Malayo, was a “prisoner of war.” But to the surprise of senior government officials, he emerged a few hours later with 23 rebels who had agreed to surrender. Chief Malayo entered an area held by the Moro National Liberation Front on Tuesday morning to try to negotiate a surrender by the insurgents and was held for several hours, the police said.
The crisis continues.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby red » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:39 am

Praying for peace in Zamboanga. We have distant relatives and friends that live there. Every time there is big issue/graft and corruption that involves lawmakers in Phil govt. then there is war happening in Mindanao. It is like to divert the attention of the issue to war. Pork barrel should be abolished.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Next

Return to General Forum