Typhoon Usagi

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Typhoon Usagi

Postby Smiley » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:53 pm

I have been following the development of this typhoon for the last couple days.It is estimated that this is the most powerful storm ever recorded.Winds are exceeding 260KM/hr
I am relieved to now hear that it is passing between the Philippines and Taiwan and will not make landfall on the Philippines at all.I imagine that there will still be some pretty severe weather involved but at least the main force of the storm remains at sea.
It looks,however,that Hong Kong will not be so lucky.
Smiley

Re: Typhoon Usagi

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 am

Although the storm's eye passed a little to the north of the island of Luzon, the storm was so big (estimated at 700 miles across) that Luzon got torrential rains and some strong winds. The storm was followed by monsoon rains, and there were mudslides in northern Luzon. Present reports are of two deaths by drowning from a capsized boat during the storm, and another 20 deaths from being buried during the mudslides. There are also reports of flooding throughout areas of Manila and northern Luzon due to the excessive rains.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:14 pm

September 23, 2013
OLONGAPO City – Heavy rains and strong winds pummeled this city in the wee hours of the morning today, knocking out electric power and flooding most parts of the city, some as deep as over 3 meters. (Subic Bay area)
OLONGAPO CITY—At least 16 people were killed while four others were reported missing as heavy monsoon rains since Sunday night triggered severe flooding and landslides in this city and nearby towns of Zambales province on Monday, local officials and the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) in Central Luzon said.
September 25, 2013
MANILA, Philippines - Some 31 people have already died from floods and landslides triggered by the southwest monsoon, most of them buried alive in landslides in Zambales.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:35 am

This time of the year can be dangerous to live in the northern areas of the Philippines because there are lots of typhoons. The southern parts of the Philippines don't see many storms. I think it is much safer to live in the Visayan islands which include Cebu, Negros, Bohol, and Leyte. Mindanao does not have many typhoons, but there is another type of storm brewing there with the Muslim rebels, so that is why northerners don't want to relocate there. :(
jadegil6
Site Admin

Return to General Forum