what is friendship for you?

Moderator: youngj

what is friendship for you?

Postby edeline » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:11 am

I am inviting everyone to share your experiences wherein you find someone who was your REAL friend during your toughest time.
edeline

Re: what is friendship for you?

Postby abufarsi » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:32 pm

I have a great friend.

IT is true that we are not as close as we once were, but when our friendship was new and active many years ago, he did some very charitable and understanding things for me.

I moved to the Philippines in the early 90s. I have since moved back to my place. While there with a new wife, a new life, and no personal acquaintances I blundered in many ways socially. Dito was a Filipino man about my age. He was kind enough to see that things I said that were hurtful for Filipinos, were not said with malice. I did not know for example that if I said some aspect of the Philippines could be improved it was an insult to most Filipinos. And yet when I complained about corruption, Christmas being the "begging season", or the drivers... he mostly simply smiled. Sometimes he defended me to his own risk. I for sure would not be offended if somebody said something was wrong with the USA, why, everybody I know here has issues and are not the least bit hesitant to offer solutions either.

I remember my paying the local radio station to run an editorial i had written about the checkpoint I passed gong home. These policemen were accepting cash from my neighbors who were just barely surviving as it was. The response from the police major was to send 5 policemen with rifles to Dito's house, pushed his wife and kids around suggesting that he should talk to his "American friend". Dito still remained my friend and drinking pal. ( it was my last editorial though) :P

Only when I have learned of Filipino culture more deeply do I see the great sacrifice he was making to be my friend, the depth of his heart, and how much I loved him. Dito is gone now, and it was not until he was gone that I can honestly reflect on the great loss he is to me, his family, and his country.

He never told me what I was doing for him, and thinking back I can't think of anything I did much for him. He simply did not ask much.

Abu
abufarsi

Postby edeline » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 pm

abufarsi wrote:I have a great friend.

IT is true that we are not as close as we once were, but when our friendship was new and active many years ago, he did some very charitable and understanding things for me.

I moved to the Philippines in the early 90s. I have since moved back to my place. While there with a new wife, a new life, and no personal acquaintances I blundered in many ways socially. Dito was a Filipino man about my age. He was kind enough to see that things I said that were hurtful for Filipinos, were not said with malice. I did not know for example that if I said some aspect of the Philippines could be improved it was an insult to most Filipinos. And yet when I complained about corruption, Christmas being the "begging season", or the drivers... he mostly simply smiled. Sometimes he defended me to his own risk. I for sure would not be offended if somebody said something was wrong with the USA, why, everybody I know here has issues and are not the least bit hesitant to offer solutions either.

I remember my paying the local radio station to run an editorial i had written about the checkpoint I passed gong home. These policemen were accepting cash from my neighbors who were just barely surviving as it was. The response from the police major was to send 5 policemen with rifles to Dito's house, pushed his wife and kids around suggesting that he should talk to his "American friend". Dito still remained my friend and drinking pal. ( it was my last editorial though) :P

Only when I have learned of Filipino culture more deeply do I see the great sacrifice he was making to be my friend, the depth of his heart, and how much I loved him. Dito is gone now, and it was not until he was gone that I can honestly reflect on the great loss he is to me, his family, and his country.

He never told me what I was doing for him, and thinking back I can't think of anything I did much for him. He simply did not ask much.

Abu

thank you so much for sharing that to us
edeline

Postby edeline » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:44 pm

I thought it is hard to find a true friend but when you will find a person who is of the same characters as you, you will not know that she will bcome your true friend.

I have co teacher name Malayphil. Her name is very unique. I used to live with her for almost two years. I mean we were renting the same room. There were times that I was so sad and broken hearted. She enthusiastically listened to me and cheered me up when I was sad. Not all the times, we have money. There were so many times that I thought my money for the week will not be enough until I will next get my salary for work. She was asking, what was wrong and I told her that I was so short of money. she offered some help though she didn't have much money. She had 400 at that time and she suggested that she will lend me the 200 so that I can use it up for my allowance. She has been so good to me and I am missing her so much now. Wish that we will be together again soon if ever she will be back here. I don't think so I can still find another person like her.

She has been very supportive to me.
edeline

Postby crisipicada » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 am

A friend is someone you can lean on. Someone who has a listening heart and willing to help you when you need her/him. Someone who is there for you in good times or bad times. Someone who will be accountable in all you do, someone who is willing to tell the truth even if it hurts. Someone who desire what is good for you. Someone who will not put you down. Someone who has a helping hand. That is a friend for me.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Andrewm » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:47 am

A friend is rare in this life when you come across one. Treasure the relationship. Most people die even after long lives only having had 2 or 3 really good friends at most.

My definition of a friend: A friend sticks with you when all the other "friends" depart. A friend does not cut and run (abandon) when the going gets tough.

The story of Jonathan and how he was to David in the Old Testament of the Bible is a good example of a true friend.
Andrewm

Postby Rhusette_me » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:43 pm

When I read this post I remembered that my father always used to say that when you die, if you've got five real friends, then you've had a great life.

I think that's what friendship really means? you dont have to have millions of friends in order for you to have a good life, all you need is one true friend...
Rhusette_me

Postby lessa120 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 pm

friendship is great thing of this univers
lessa120

Postby blister » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:23 pm

I am closer to my friend than my parents. I can easily share my feelings to her than to my mother. She keeps my secrets and it remain secret for the rest of my life. A true friend is one who is sensitive, willing to sacrifice and always ready to help. A true friend never backbite you even things go wrong. She is always have a great heart, ready to rescue when you need her. She always give encouragement and lift you up when problems and trials comes along. She is willing to carry the burden on her shoulder when her friend is in deepest emotional distress. A true friend never turn her shoulder away from you but willing to come closer and give you comfort and care.
blister

very informative

Postby diniprurf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:18 pm

thank you
diniprurf

Next

Return to Friends