New friend

Moderator: youngj

New friend

Postby mystic » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:50 am

I would like to make a new friend/buddy, somebody to share things with, to make each one's life a little bit more colorful. Interested people can PM me.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Re: New friend

Postby reallyjake » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:36 pm

Mystic, I notice that one of your interests is opera. Like you, I also enjoy opera and in fact I enjoy it very much. I have been in the Philippines several times, but it was never Manila . Could you give me some idea about the opera companies that occasionally come to the country and where opera is usually held. If you are not sure, don't worry for if you asked me that question about San Francisco, Vancouver or Toronto opera I would be "still struck" and would unlikely be able to say a single word.
The best to you
reallyjake

Postby mystic » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:31 am

I'm sorry, I have no idea about opera in the PI. But usually there are special opera theaters, as they need a specific infrastructure for the performances.

Anyway, I know that there is at least one filipino opera called "Noli me tangere":
http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/noli-me-tangere-filipino-opera-will-tell-moving-tale-at-kennedy-center/2014/07/31/2a1cc3a2-1684-11e4-88f7-96ed767bb747_story.html

And here, you can find an operatic company:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Philippine-Opera-Company/157674847594549
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby reallyjake » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:30 am

Mystic, I wish to thank you very much for the opera information. I have examined earlier immigration of young people from the Philippines to North America and now expect to make several six month trips to the Philippines both to examine academic materials and do a bit of survey work. I truly am a "babe in the woods" for I am fearful not what to expect but rather how to go about obtaining basic things as reliable transport, housing and seeing an occasional opera. In the past a CIDA contractor took care of everything when I made an occasional trip to Mindanao. Now, I am totally responsible. I read about academic institutions on-line, but to be very honest I don't know which ones are better and those which are not quite so good. Again, thank you for your help.
reallyjake

Return to Friends