Tropical Storm Sendong

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: Tropical Storm Sendong

Postby Edwin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:21 pm

I am going to call my friends this evening and ask them if they suffered any damage. Their new house is right on the water 19 kilometers south of Dumaguete City towards Tanjay City, at Amlan. My friend, I, and my friend's filipina wife's brother crossed that bridge in the picture several times while we were walking. Her family, brother, sister, and father live in Tanjay City. I will talk with them to find out if they are all okay, and what damage they suffered as a result of this typhoon. It is very sad for those people losing their person property, and for the loss of life. The pictures reminded me of the flood we had in the Stehekin Valley when my friend lost his house there. There were people's personal property scattered all along the river clear down to the head of the lake and even in the head of the lake. This is very sad, and yes we do need to pray for the people and their families who have lost property and family members. :( :(

This is very interesting; I looked on my friends' facebook and found that same picture of the Tanjay bridge, and my friends have a neice and nephew that are in that picture. There house is just a little ways from that bridge.
Edwin

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Climate changes are created by Global Warming. Climate changes result in wet areas becoming wetter, and arid areas becoming drier. One global area severely affected by the "wet-getting-wetter" is Southeast Asia. The Philippines is located in Southeast Asia.

Those who suffer the worse are the poorest of the poor. Many of these people are settlers who take up residence along rivers and seashores, building shacks out of anything they can find that can make walls and a roof. When fllooding and other weather related or natural disasters occur, then it is these people who are most at risk

The Philippines is one of the countries that suffer the most from extreme weather events, which exact a high death toll and economic losses reports Germanwatch, an international think tank, which has studied this issue.
Analyzing data from 1991 to 2010, Germanwatch said the Philippines ranked 10th among countries when it came to exposure and responding to severe weather caused by climate change.
All the countries identified to be most affected in the past two decades were developing countries, the study noted. Aside from the Philippines, these were Bangladesh, Burma (Myanmar), Honduras, Nicaragua, Haiti, Vietnam, the Dominican Republic, Pakistan and North Korea.
This year’s analysis underlines that less developed countries are generally more affected than industrialized countries, according to the Climate Risk Index. With regard to future climate change, the Climate Risk Index can serve as a warning signal indicating past vulnerability which may further increase in regions where extreme events will become more frequent or more severe through climate change, the report said.

The Philippines, a country of about 94 million, sits on the earthquake-prone Ring of Fire. It is also on the path of typhoons that form in the western Pacific. The country is visited by about 20 storms every year.
During the observation period, the Philippines had the biggest number of meteorological events recorded at 270. Bangladesh trailed behind at 251 weather events.
The death toll from various weather-related disasters in the Philippines reach an average of about 800 deaths per year. For every 100,000 Filipinos, 1.03 is killed by a meteorological disaster, according to the Germanwatch report. But the past two weeks Tropical Storms have resulted in a dramatic increase in the death toll. As of December 27, 2011, there have been more than 1500 deaths attributed to Sendong alone.

Severe weather catastrophes also lead to economic losses for the Philippines. The report says that the Philippines loses more than $660 million every year from disasters. But the damages created over the past two weeks by Sendong and other rain events are going to exceed that number, as these present predictions exceed one billion dollars in property and agricultural losses.

World Environmental Organizations seek to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 50 percent by 2050 to stop the planet from heating up. Scientists said that a 2-degree-Celsius increase in global temperatures would cause extreme weather events that would be disastrous to many countries, especially those located in Southeast Asia. Many groups are working to establish a Green Climate Fund for countries vulnerable to climate change.

As the earth warms, and the temperatures of the waters of the oceans increase, there are more storms created, and this increase in typhoons and rain events will tragically affect the Philippines with more flooding and typhoon related wind damages.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby crisipicada » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Pulangui river, the largest river in Mindanao overflow. This photo taken yesterday. Many valencianos were affected. Please pray for us.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:34 pm

I also viewed some photos of that same location of the river, and captured them to add here.

Bukidnon flooding.jpg

Bukidnon flooding0.jpg

Bukidnon flooding1.jpg

Bukidnon flooding2.jpg

Bukidnon flooding4.jpg

Bukidnon flooding5.jpg

Bukidnon flooding6.jpg

Bukidnon flooding7.jpg

Bukidnon flooding8.jpg
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby red » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I went to CDO and saw those dead bodies lying outside the funeral home not being taken care of because of no water. Man, it was very sad. That was the first time i smell dead decaying bodies. Its time for operation tree planting there should be total log ban for a decade.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby crisipicada » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:15 am

300 families affected because of heavy rain here in valencia city in our place. 2 still are missing and still on search. less than 10 died not yet known how many are they.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Smiley » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:23 pm

I hope that all goes well for you. I`m hoping to hear from my friend who is closer to Bukindon. He has been pretty sick,a flood is the last thing he needs now.
You will be in my thoughts
Smiley

Postby fenmoor » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Hope you are staying safe Crissi.

Thinking of all of you.

Bill
fenmoor

Postby Edwin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Wow, Crisi, it does not seem that long since that last devestating storm. I hope you are being safe, Crisi! We need to pray for these poor people being hit again! During that last storm houses all around my friends' house were effected, but they suffered no damage. Their family members and their families had mud and water in their houses, with a huge clean up job, as well as rewashing their clothing. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Previous

Return to General Forum