Mosquito Season is here!

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Mosquito Season is here!

Postby Edwin » Sat May 19, 2012 9:44 pm

When I went for my walk with the doggies, I found that mosquito season is here! I walk past a swampy little lake and that is where they breed. There were lots of them, but they didn't seem to bite me too badly. The dog was not happy with the mosquitos, laid on the ground and rubbed them off. They don't spread disease here that I am aware of. Carol and some of our kids have reactions to them. I don't like for them to bite me, but they really don't hurt me, and they don't bite me like they do some people. I just did lots of swatting as I walked past the badly mosquito infested area! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Re: Mosquito Season is here!

Postby DavidM » Sat May 19, 2012 10:12 pm

the mosquitoes and yellow flies were so bad where i grew up that i would literally sprint out the front door to go check the mail and sprint back. even then i would get some landing on me. i don't like those things :(
DavidM

Postby Edwin » Sun May 20, 2012 8:44 am

I don't know anything about yellow flies? Do they bite? We have several varieties of biting flies. One of them is the deer fly, or maybe it is the same as the horse fly. There is also a large black fly in the Cascade Mountains were we lived that was an agressive biter. A funny thing about mosquitoes in this part of the country is that they bite some people, and other people they don't bother. They never bothered my Mom, but my Dad could be right with her, and they would eat him alive, and never touch her. They don't bother me much, but more than they did my Mom, and less than they did my Dad. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Edwin

Postby DavidM » Sun May 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Yellow flies are probably worse than mosquitoes IMO because they fly so fast and their bite is much harder. They are similar to deer flies and you could easily get 3-10 of them flying around you trying to bite. I'm glad I don't live where these things breed anymore.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/yellow_fly.htm
DavidM

Postby Edwin » Sun May 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Yes, DavidM, thank you for enlightening me! That definately would not be fun! We were in town to day with our youngest daughter and her two daughters. They were all having trouble with the mosquitoes, putting on the anti mosquito spay on their skin. They finally came in the house because it got to be too much for them. I told Carol about the mosquitoes I encountered on my walk, and she was surprised that I didn't say anything to her about it, but the mosquitoes didn't really bother me much at all, so I kind of dismissed the thought from my mind. I am just glad that they don't spread disease here, and then I would not feel so causual about them! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Edwin

Postby red » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:39 pm

i hate mosquito. when i see one flying iinside the house i be restless til i kill it. wish i can eat them. i hate cockroach and spiders. i wont sleep if i see one inside the house. i hate rats. but they are intelligent because they stay away from traps i bought from grocery store. how do i kill them nice and softly? any idea would be good. i like cat around but im allergic to furs. im a killer for mosquitos cockroach and spider. so beware you monsters.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 am

If I lived in the Philippines where the mosquitoes actually cause/spread diseases I would feel the same way you do. I just scared my dog nearly to death. I was trying to kill a mosquito in mid air by slapping my hands together, then he flew next to the wall, and I splattered blood all over the wall, well in a small area anyway! When I hit the wall slapping at mosquitoes, my dog runs and jumps into Carol's lap! He is not a huge dog, like Scooby, but he is not a small dog either! I think it was my blood that got on the wall, so I cleaned it up! We let mosquitoes in the house while we were carrying groceries in! I am finding a quite a few of them while I am walking, but they are not bothering me badly. I do swat and kill a quite a few of them while walking, and I bat at them with open hands to drive them away. Scooby does not like them either. He bats his face with his front paws when the mosquitoes are near him! They bother Carol worse than they do me, and they bother our kids and our grandkids, some of them anyway more than that! Some of them have allergic type reactions where they swell and itch! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 pm

This evening's walk with the doggies was the worst so far for mosquitoes! I even had one inside my throat!!!! I killed a lot of them, a few of them got some of my blood, but not many. I had them swarming around my head constantly, and the only thing that made it work is that we kept moving. I survived though! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:01 am

Today there were so few mosquitoes that I almost forgot about the pesky little creatures! I think what happened is that the little bit of rain that we were having was keeping them down. Also the wind was blowing quite hard at times, and I think those mosquitoes got blown away! I didn't miss them!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:22 am

Thankfully we are not getting a lot of them this year.Last year was terrible but they are almost non-existant so far this year. I don`t miss them at all!
Smiley

Next

Return to General Forum