The weather is cold!

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

The weather is cold!

Postby Edwin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:19 am

Tomorrow is when summer is supposed to officially begin here, so it says on the calendar! Last night it was not very many degrees above freezing here. It seemed fairly warm in the late afternoon, so about 5 p.m., I opened every window in the house! As I was about to eat my supper, I was actually cold, so I went around and closed every window in the house. I am not complaining, because when I am digging I like it to be cool! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Re: The weather is cold!

Postby red » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:41 am

My husband told me today that summer officially starts 21. So its super hot there. Here in phils two seasons we have wet and dry.
Im curious here. Do washingtonians speaks fast? I talked to my sis in law once wow talk so fast. My husband said thats how washingtonians are. But he doesnt talk fast.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:07 am

You are right, Red, in that Washingtonians do talk fast as a general rule! I am the exception. My brother-in-law, one that has been dead for many years, told me that people who were born and grew up on the Indian Reservation talk slow, and that is me. I also have a strange accent, and people wonder where in the world I am from! If they would have had speech therapy when I was little they would probably have had me in that class trying to make me talk like everyone else. When I was in the Philippines, my friend's filipina wife's family told me that I was easy for them to understand, because I naturally talk so slow, and also I use very few of our idioms, sayings that have meaning to us, and no one else understands them. Examples, are I did a boo boo, means I made a mistake, and I don't ever say things like that. Also she went bananas means that she went kind of crazy! And I don't ever say things like that. My language is pretty much objective in that I say what I mean in words that most every one understands, and I talk very slowly, and maybe my mind works that way also, who knows! I think I am okay though, and everyone else is a little off!!!! No, I am just kidding. There is a joke of one Amish person talking to the other Amish person. He says, "Me things the whole world is a bit stange but me and thee, and sometimes I wonder about thee!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My high school music teacher told that one. He was a Baptist. Actually I think I told it wrong! I think it was "Me thinks the whole world is out of step but me and thee, and sometimes I wonder about thee!" I think the reason he told that is that we were practicing our marching band technique, and he was having trouble getting all the kids to march in sych with each other, putting the right foot forward, and not being out of step with all the other class. If one was out of step, he/she could say "I am in step, but you are out of step!" He also told another one. He said that they were having a discussion in Sunday School Class about mass hypnotism. That was in the 1960s when a hypnotist would attempt to hypnotise entire audiences. Anyway they were talking about mass hypnotism, and this one elderly gentleman spoke up and said, "What will those Catholics think of next!!!!" He confused the observance of Mass Celebration with the Catholics, with the word mass, meaning a large group of people! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Edwin on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:18 am

Yes, Red, summer does officially start tomorrow, but it is not hot here in North Central Washington State. It is cold! The gardens are not growing! Well, I know it will warm up, and then Carol will be miserable as the heat really bothers her! I like it now though because I can work harder when it is cool than I can when it is extreemely hot. When it is very hot I have to drink too much water to keep hydrated, and I have to take more breaks to cool off, and to rest lowering my heart rate and breathing rate, as well as lowering my sweating so the water is not running off from me. That is a little miserable! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Postby red » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 am

Well, you must be easy to talk with sir. Like my husband, i was wondering why he is different because others talk so slang and fast. He has virginian accent mix with north carolina coz thats where he most lived. I can understand him easily. For others i have to look and listen closely so i can catch up what the heck they are saying. Honestly, i ts challenging to learn talk fast but i rather not. I only talk fast when im mad ha ha.
I like to listen the British or English accent thats why i like the Harry Potter movie. He he
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 am

I like the British/English accent, and Austrailian as well. Yes, I am also amazed at how fast some people can talk, but I have never had any desire to develope that skill! I think, for some of them, their mouths get ahead of their brains, and that is not good! I, just like you, have difficulty hearing and understanding really fast talkers! My ex brother-in-law does something interesting. He talks extremely fast, short choppy sentences, and his diction is not always that good, so it is very hard to understand him. I think some people think other people will perceive them as being more intellegent if they can talk at lightening speed rates, but I perceive them the opposite. I think they are kind of stupid!!!! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Wow! You probably wouldn`t like to be digging here. Temp today hit 35 celcius and the humidity is pretty high.
Smiley

Postby Edwin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:25 am

Wow, Smiley, here we have had no warm days, and nights are almost freezing! Yesterday at 6 p.m. before I went for my walk with the doggies, I opened all the windows in the house, thinking I should cool it off. I was cold before bedtime, and I am sleeping with winter covers/blankets on, and I was cold during the night. I did the same thing today before walking the doggies, only I didn't leave until 7 p.m, getting back from walking a 9:40 p.m., doggies were slow tonight. Anyway I closed all the windows as soon as I got back in the house! I am not cold yet, but I would have been if I had left the windows open any longer! And yes, I get a little warm because of the activity of digging, but the weather is definately not hot by any means. I am happy about the temperatures while digging, but the gardens are not doing any good! If it actually gets summer here the high temperatures will kill us. Actually they won't bother me as I am fine with the heat, but it will kill Carol as she can't stand high temperatures, but then she can't stand cold temperatures either! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:50 pm

I have all the windows in the house closed and it feels really good in here. This really unusual for this time of the year as we are usually suffering from the heat by this time. We would have the windows open all night to try to get some of the cool air into the house, and then close all the windows in the house to try to hold the cool air, until 5 or 6 in the afternoon, when we would open the windows again. It makes very pleasant working conditions for what I am doing, but I don't think our daughter's garden is doing much good! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:44 pm

It is just amazing how much rain we are getting. It is hindering me from my work in my cellar, but I will make it anyway I think. I have the top half dug out which is the most materials to be moved out, and that is finished. I now need to digg from where I am standing down to the cellar floor level, which is another 3 or 4 feet, with 2 rectangular chuncks. I have some of it dug out all the way to the floor level, so I do believe I will make it. I have the deadline of August 1st to be finished digging, and then I wll relax! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Next

Return to General Forum