Rain

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Rain

Postby Edwin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:41 pm

I love the rain. We need the rain, but lately we have been getting lots of rain. I am not going to complain because it is better to get the rain and wish we had a little less than to have everything dry and dusty and wonder why it doesn't rain! I am glad for the rain. Some garden produce items are not doing well, like tomatoes because we have not had enough sunshine and warm weather to make them grow. I am missing lots of time working on my cellar because of rain, but that is okay, as I am sure I will have enough time to finish my digging anyway. I am having a free day, because it is raining too much to carry dirt out of the cellar, and I need to do that before I can make more progress. If nothing else at the end I will just put up a light and work day and night and figure I had my rest times!

Rain Rain Go Away
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For the short story by Isaac Asimov, see Rain, Rain, Go Away (short story).
""Rain Rain Go Away""
Roud #19096

William Wallace Denslow's illustrations for a variant of Rain Rain Go Away, from a 1901 edition of Mother Goose

Written by Traditional
Published 17th C or earlier
Written United Kingdom
Language English

Form Nursery rhyme

"Rain Rain Go Away" is a popular English language nursery rhyme. It has a Roud Folk Song Index number of 19096.
Contents
[hide]
• 1 Lyrics
• 2 Origins
• 3 In popular culture
• 4 Notes

There are many versions and variations of this rhyming couplet. The most common modern version of is:
Rain rain go away,
Come again another day.[1]
[edit] Origins
Similar rhymes can be found in many societies, including ancient Greece. The modern English language rhyme can be dated to at least to the seventeenth century when James Howell in his collection of proverbs noted:
Raine raine goe to Spain: faire weather come againe.[1]
A version very similar to the modern version was noted by John Aubrey in 1687 as used by "little children" to "charme away the Raine...":
Rain raine goe away,
Come again a Saturday.[1]
A wide variety of alternative have been recorded including: "Midsummer day", "washing day", "Christmas Day" and "Martha's wedding day".[1]
In the mid-nineteenth century James Orchard Halliwell collected and published the version:
Rain, rain, go away
Come again another day
Little Arthur wants to play.[2]
In a book from the late 19th century, the lyrics are as follows:
Rain, Rain,
Go away;
Come again,
April day;
Little Johnny wants to play.[3]
Edwin

Re: Rain

Postby Edwin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Things change over the years. Most of the people living on this hill had shallow wells that were near springs so that they could have a supply of water. Usually the supply was limited except in a few rare cases. They usually had enough water to cook, drink, wash dishes, wash, and bathe, as well as enough to give their animals water. My daughter told me that it is not illegal to use shallow wells! I think they are concerned about contamination, which the old timers lived with, and maybe some of them died because they drank bad water, I don't know.

Another thing that our daughter told me of which I was not aware, is that in this country, in this area, it is illegal to catch rain water! She said the reason for that is that catching rain water keeps it from going into the ground and they want all the rain water to add to the ground water source! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Edwin

Postby purex » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:37 am

The heavy rain in the Philippines resulted to closure of establishments and other offices in Manila area. The level of water rise and many people and families were affected. The sad thing about this heavy rain, it causes deadly disease like the leptospirosis, an infection bacteria which affects human body, by allowing water that has been contaminated by animal urine to come in contact with unhealed breaks in the skin, the eyes, or with the mucous membranes.
Wn God knows yor READY 4 D rsponsibility of comitment,He'l reveal D ryt prson undr Hs tym& ryt circumstnces.Wait patiently,Dont waste Ur tym srching& wshing.Grow& b redy &yo'l see.God wl giv U a lov story far betr than U cud ever dreamed
purex

Postby Edwin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:40 am

purex, that is scary and sad all at the same time. It is kind of like the danger from mosquitoes that spread diseases. You can't hardly keep from getting bit, although you try not to get bit, but then those mosquitoes are going to cause a certain amount of disease in a certain number of people. When I was in the Philippines in October 2010, in Manila and Negros Oriental, I never saw one mosquito, and I never thought about that until just now. I am happy that I didn't see any mosquitoes.

Maybe 14 years ago or so, my brother-in-law, who is dead now, was newly married to his filipina bride! She was still working in Manila, and they were living in an apartment there at that time. They had one of those floods, and they were walking through water that was up to their arm pits. He was cussing, not a Christian at the time, and his filipina bride was praying. There fear was the floating poisonous snakes that were in the water! They survived it though. Not long after that his filipina retired, and they moved to Guimaras Island where they built a beautiful house, and had a few wonderful years. He said that he was happy for the first time in his life, and he hated to be dying from cancer, and leaving it all behind, but he accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his Savior not long before he died, and he was at peace for once in his life with the Lord, and now he is with the Lord. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Return to General Forum