Sufferings and Trials in life - Its purpose

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Sufferings and Trials in life - Its purpose

Postby crisipicada » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:51 am

Desiring to live right is a wise decision a person choose to. He wanted to live a life with integrity, uprightness, truthfulness and most of all, a life that is honorable.

The word “godliness” is very common to all. It is all about holiness, truthfulness, divinity or sacredness. If you encounter this word “godliness”, what is in your mind? What can you think about it? Husband couple would say, “godliness” towards their respective wives picture it out as being loyal, faithful, gives Spiritual nurture and direction to his family, works hard to provide for the needs of the family.

Others would say, “godliness” is having a personal relationship with God; maintain integrity, and responsibility; the ability to love, cares for others, appropriate sensitive and show kindness, have compassion for people, and so on and so fort.

Also single person, show the same characteristics towards their family members, friends, and people they associate with. The Bible character that exemplified godliness, is Job. In fact, his life provided good model of how to live.

The Bible refers Job as “perfect”. In this manner, I do believe that it does not mean being sinless but having a good reputation ( in the sight of men). We can read also, the writer described Job as “upright” (Job1;1); and this referred to his relationship and reputation with God. People who cherishes God’s word and obey His precepts and commands, is what the Bible describes of an upright person. Another characteristic of Job is he feared God. As we can read, In the old testament, the concept of being wise is to fear the Lord. As we read again, in Proverbs 1:7, declares, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction. King Solomon declared “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Proverbs 9:10). Thus, to fear the Lord is to respect Him earnestly, completely, stand in awe in Him, and revere Him and to recognise that He is God. Indeed, Job lived blamelessly and upright because he feared the Lord.

Not only that, we can read also that Job eschewed evil, it means he shunned evil, avoided it. Because he respected God, it resulted to hate evil. As Proverbs 3:7 commands, … Fear the Lord and depart from evil. Also in Proverbs 8:13 declares… “The fear of the Lord is to hate evil.” Job’s life served as a genuine, faithful, honest life toward the Lord.

As we read, Job was rich, not only he has a large family of 7 sons and 3 daughters. Not only that, he also enjoyed tremendous wealth. He had 7,000 sheep for food and use for clothing; 3000 camels, which is use for transportation; 500 yoke of oxen and 500 donkeys. He had many servants too, and he was the greatest of all the men of the east.

The Accuser (Satan) accused Job of having faulty motives. He accused that Job of living a godly life for the wrong reasons. Because he cannot argue with God on the basis of Job’s lifestyle, he accused the motive of Job of living an upright life. For him, Job was merely “godly” for the “gold” and “saint” to get “silver”. “ Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? Thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he wil curse thee to thy face”(Job 1:10,11)
This accusation that the relationship of the Almighty with man was based on a bribe. He is really expert in accusing others of having wrong motives. He try to accuse that Job’s faith is not genuine. It is a sad to know that the new testament era, false teachers taught prosperity gospel. They believe that godliness resulted in financial gain. But Paul counteract their teaching and he declared “But godliness with contentment is grate gain (I Timothy 6:6). Thus, sometimes the Accuser’s charge is true to the life of many people.

God allow the Accuser to test the faith of Job. Because in his perspective, if God took Job’s blessing away, Job would lose his integrity and curse God. “And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thy hand. So Satan went fort from the presence of the Lord. “ The accuser has no confidence in Job’s faith, and God had faith in Job and I do believe that He put His confidence in Job by allowing the Accuser (Satan) to test him. Many times in our lives, we said, we trusted Him and we seldom realize that God put confidence in us. This book of Job is given to us from above to instruct and encourage us.

When we ask ourselves, “Why does God allow the righteous to suffer? We can see important truths;

1. Satan, not God, is our enemy.
2. Satan seeks to ruin and cause us hardship.
3. God, our defender and vindicator, puts His confidence in us.
4. In His sovereignty, God places limits on what Satan can do to us.

All that he has, Job painfully lose them. But he refused to curse God and abandon his faith. Job 1:22, in all this Job sinned not nor charged God foolishly, thus his character passed the test. Still the accuser charged Job, that since Job had a happy life, and have not been harmed, so he still remain being true to God. The accuser mean that Job did not have genuine faith and if God were to take away his health, Job would curse God and discard his faith. Once again, God allow the accuser to test Job physically. However, He limited his extent attack “But save his life (Job2:6) And this time, the accuser (Satan) touch the health of Job. Satan afflicted Job with “sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown/head –Job2:7. But Job remain his integrity. While his wife advised him to curse God and die (verse 9), Job responded to his wife “what ?shall we not receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?. He believe that God had the right to send blessings or trials and that he had the responsibility to accept either one. As we read… In all this did not Job sin with his lips (10).

Therefore, we must remember that Satan, not God, seeks our ultimate ruin. He is accuser ; God is our redeemer. We are God’s children, and if we trusted in the Lord’s saving grace, He will vindicate/defend us. In John 2:1,2’ even if Satan still accuse us, “we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: and he is the propitiation for our sins:and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.

The Bible teaches us that there are many reasons behind trials and affliction. The following are the reasons, to wit;

1. Sometimes God afflicts us to discipline us. (Hebrews 12:5-11)
2. Sometimes He gives us affliction as a preventative measure (2 Cor. 12:7)
3. He sends tribulations to educate us (Romans 5:1-5)
4. To examine or test us (I Peter 1:7)
5. To strengthen our testimony or demonstrate power (Acts 9:16);
6. Or to equip us for ministry in the lives of others ( 2 Cor. 1:3-7)
7. Suffering also encourages our dependence upon the Lord. (James 1:2)

When we faced problems, we must know that God is great. He is not silent, He is sovereign. Yes, He is! We cannot control circumstances, but He can. When we faced with incredible adversity, I have learned not to ask “WHY”?, but “WHO”? We should ask, “Who is in charge? The answer, of course, is “God”. He is unchanging. Me and you must ask to increase our faith and trust to Him. Because when we look to Him, He will enable us to live above our circumstances.

When we trust the Lord and continue in Him, there are rewards for suffering. Like Job, we can read that he did received rewards.

1. He personally encountered God.
2. He got an honest look to himself. We learn that we are small, insignificant, vile and He is great
3. God vindicated Job
4. God restored Job his health. (42:10). We read that the healing was immediate…God granted Job grace as he showed grace to others.
5. God blessed Job with twice the wealth he had before (42:12). His sheep is double from 7,000 from the beginning, and in the end, 14,000. Camels increase from 3000 to 6000; 500 yoke of oxen to 1000; donkey of 500 to 1000. God has been extremely gracious!
6. God gave Job ten more children (42:13-15)
7. God gave Job an additional 140 years of healthy and prosperous life
8. Job lived to enjoy four generations of grandchildren and great-grand children.

I do believe that God allows us to go through trials so that He can refine us and purge or clean away the dross or impurities from our lives. It is good to know that the fact that He allow these to us with purpose. As we submit to Him, the sooner the refining process and also the trial will be over. And remember, that if we do not submit and learn the lessons He wants us to learn, He will have to take us through similar trials until “we get it right”. He desire and wanted us to be like Him. There are times that we think trials in life come to us as accidents, incidents, mishaps or personal injuries caused by other people. Me and I must remember that He is sovereign above anyone else or any other power that tries to harm us. There are times also that something is wrong happening in our lives that we blame someone, I learned that He allowed that person into our lives or that thing because He wants to prove our faith. Thus we should thank Him for allowing trials. (James 1”1-4). For burning away the dross and making us beautiful vessels that He can use now and in Heaven (Prov.25:4; John 15:2, I Peter 1:7; 2 Timothy 2:20, I John 2:28).

Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Re: Sufferings and Trials in life - Its purpose

Postby Edwin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 pm

That is really good about suffering, Crisi! None of us wants to suffer. We don't want to thank God that we go through such things, but it is to refine us. We would like to have a nice life with nothing going wrong, but that doesn't happen. It is interesting that God allowed Satan to test Job, taking away his family, his possessions, and his health. God did limit Satan in what he could do to Job. It is wonderful that we can depend on God for our protection and realize that he will limit Satan in what he can do to us. Job had his wife who told him to curse God and die. Job also had his false counselors who did not put God in a good light.

A little humor here:

6. God gave Job ten more children (42:13-15)
7. God gave Job an additional 140 years of healthy and prosperous life
8. Job lived to enjoy four generations of grandchildren and great-grand children.

What we need to have is 10 more children, 140 extra years for a healthy and prosperous life, and to live to enjoy 4 generations of grandchildren and great-grand children. This is wishful thinking, huh?

The reason God has limited the years of our lives is because man is evil. He didn't limit the years because one individual or the other is evil, but because people in general are evil, so He doesn't want them to live as long. Even after God limited the years of people's lives, there were some wonderful people, such as Daniel and others. As long as we accept Jesus as our personal savior we will live forever. God is going to destroy this old sinful earth, and create a new heaven and a new earth where in dwelleth righteouness. :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:02 am

Amen to Crisi.

I will add something from the Jewish mystical tradition.

The going out of Egypt symbolizes the going out of our ego. When we renounce to our selfishness and recognize the Lord as our God, we can move away and walk toward the lost paradise. This means: having faith/believe only in God, and not in oneself; fear only God, and not anything else, etc.

This process of rebirth in the Lord makes us reborn in Him, and we are no longer subject to the wordly rules. I could make this example: the simpleton is governed by the stars (the events, the circumstances, etc.). But the wise governs the stars. The wise is actually above nature and Satan has no grasp on him. He is only subject to God.

Now, there are in Exodus (Exodus 14:19-21) 3 verses that the sages of the tradition noticed. They are each composed by 72 letters. Combining them in a proper manner, we get what is called the 72 lettered-Name of God, or the Explicit Name. Tradition wants that this is the "expanded" Name of the Lord. Each Name of the 72 is a three lettered-Name.

Since, it deals with the going out of Egypt, or the rebirth process, the sages put the 72 Names on a circle (the Wheel of Life). So, there is a Name every 5 degrees of the Wheel. Those Names are also called Stations of Consciousness, or Stations of Suffering. Basically, they summarized all trials that a person might experience in life in 72 cases. Each Name has its special meaning, hinting at the trial that one has to go through. When one goes through all the 72 trials, he will be able to accomplish the rebirth process and become a godly man.

As life keeps cycling, the Wheel of Life cycles, exposing the person to always new trials. The person will pass easily through the trials for which he has no "dross" to purify in his character, but will keep clashing on those trials that he still need to go through.

N.B.: The system of the 72 Names is called Shem (Name) Hamphorash (of fire/explicit), because God tries the people with fire.

Now, the sages distinguish 2 ways to fulfill this purification process. One, they call the way of suffering. This is the way that most people go through. When they lack the knowledge and are not holy enough, God has no other way to show them the correct way than sending them trials and afflictions, so that they can have a chance to fix the issue and progress spiritually.
The second way is called the way of proactive transformation. This is usually the way of the sages. They do not wait for the trial to come. They examine the Scriptures, learn about the stations of suffering, and work actively at transforming their character so that the trial, when it will come, will have no impact on them. They basically accelerate the trials and pass them before they happen, because they care to be "in the likeness of their Creator".

Aside the 72 Names, there are other traditions. The ancients also mentioned 10 Stations of Rectification (Tikkunim) of one's soul, according to the intrinsic characteristics of the Lord (merciful, victorious, etc.). There is a wonderful commentary on the Bible that tradition wants to be written a few centuries before Christ, which is called Tikkunei Zohar (Splendor of the Rectifications).

Then, there is the tradition of the 613 precepts (Mitzvot), i.e. the 365 negative precepts (don't do...) and the 248 positive precepts (do...). They are also another means to purify oneself completely and avoid trials.

In Christianity, we have the tradition of the 7 deadly sins (wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony). If one abstains from them, he can conduct a holy life.

As we can see, many systems were devised to allow a person to purify himself and draw closed to the Lord. All have the same goal in common. And all come with their dose of suffering and trial.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Smiley » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:16 am

You are only as happy or as unhappy as you perceive yourself to be.We have been given the ability to control a lot of the things that affect our lives.
If the roof leaks we can sit and moan and groan about how wet and miserable our existence is.Or we can fix the roof. If our garden did not produce as much as we would like it to we can tend it a little better and it will produce more.If our neighbors are hungry we can wring our hands and wail away or we can find a way to feed them.I would much rather apply myself to fixing the problems around me than wondering what the lesson is,I try to rank my problems and when I do I usually find that I still have a lot to be thankful about.
I know some people near the shop where I work that are always praying for stuff.If they want a new cell phone they pray for it,If her hair is dry,she will pray that it looks nice for the weekend,stuff like that.I really don`t think that is the purpose of prayer.If I had the responsibility of starving,sick children,war,pestilence and disease,I doubt that somebodies whining for a new ipod would get much attention from me.I try to not confuse God with Santa Claus.
There are a lot of negative things that happen that we might have little or no control over.Just the way things work I guess.Maybe we can`t control everything but we do have some control of how we handle ourselves,even when things go very wrong.
I think that it is our job to handle as much as we can,God is there to help with the heavy lifting.
Smiley

Postby mystic » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:24 am

I forgot to mention another very big tradition. This will split the readers, because many do not accept this. However, it exists.

I will mention the Jewish version, despite in Judaism this is not officially accepted.

Somebody does not limit the suffering and purification process to this world and this life. They talk about many lives and different worlds. In the Jewish mystical tradition, they talk about Gilgulim (literally Wheels), which means reincarnations. The is a book by the holy Rabbi Chaim Vital titled Shaarei Gilgulim, Gates of Reincarnation. He analyzes the characters of the Bible and identifies which biblical person is the reincarnation of another. So, he shows the whole path that they took to get their refinement.
Then, he establishes a certain number of general patterns from the biblical characters, and he says that he can tell to each person which his type is, at which point he is in his correction, what happened to him and what will happen. They said that the founder of this system could just look at the spirit of a person who came to visit him, and tell him everything about his past, present and future reincarnations, and the purpose he had to fulfill in his life.

This is apparently very similar to some buddhist doctrines about reincarnation.

Then, there are other books (such as the Zohar, a giant commentary on the Bible) that go to a great extent to describe the upper worlds that we will encounter after this life, and also the trials and prizes that we will find.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Edwin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Smiley, in the 1990s I substitute taught in all the public schools in our county, which is the largest in the state of Washington, but not the most densly populated, and fact probably the least densly populated. Anyway what you wrote made me think about one of those schools. When I taught in that particular school, and it was raining, they had the halls riddled with 5 gallon buckets to catch the rain from the leaking roof! I am not exagerating at all. They could not pass their levies to raise money because most of the population were farmers and cattle people, and they voted against the levies so that their taxes would not increase. Somehow they got enough money to build brand new schools, all of them, elementary, middle, and high school, and then the leaking was a thing of the past! :D :D
Edwin

Return to General Forum