Jesus is the Son of God

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Jesus is the Son of God

Postby Edwin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Matthew 22:41; "While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42; Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David. 43; He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, 44; The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? 45; If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? 46; And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions."

Jesus is God's only Son. He is and was and is to come. Jesus is eternal; He always was, and He always will be. Jesus is the Son of God, and the Son of man.

John 3:16; “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17; For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18; He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”

John 8:58; “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.”

Jesus used the description for God applying it to himself, and that is “I am that I am.”

John 1:1; “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2; The same was in the beginning with God. 3; All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.”

Jesus was the creator in the beginning.

John 1:14; “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his gory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.”

Jesus is the only begotten Son of the Father.

John 17:5; Jesus prayed, “And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.”

Colossians 1:13; “Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14; In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:”

This is referring to Jesus the Son of God.

Hebrews 1:1; “God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2; Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;”

God spoke in times past through the prophets, but He now speaks through His Son, the Son of God.

Hebrews 1:5; “For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?”

Jesus is the Son of God, and the angels can’t claim that relationship.

Hebrews 3:6; But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.”

Christ is a son, the Son of God, over his own house, and we are that house that Jesus is over.

Luke 1:34; “Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35; And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee, shall be called the Son of God.”

The evidence of scripture is overwhelming that Jesus is the Son of God.

Matthew 26:63; “But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64; Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.”

Jesus told the high priest, yes I am the Son of God. He also used the term the Son of man. Jesus was God and he was man.

John 19:7; “The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.”

Jesus was and is the Son of God.

Hebrews 1:3; “Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding of all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;”

Jesus is the Son of God. :D :D
Edwin

Re: Jesus is the Son of God

Postby mystic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:56 am

Ed, I should not post here, because I don't have enough knowledge. But I always had a few questions. Maybe you could help with your knowledge. (But they are exquisitely theological questions.)

Is there, in your knowledge, a specific place in the New Testament where it is written expressly: "Jesus is the son of God"?
I recall reading: "The lamb is the son of God", but this is subject to interpretation. The Catholic Church usually says changes the word "lamb" with "Jesus", but I think that they should see the difference.

I would also like to remember that there are Christians who do not believe that Jesus is the son of God, and point out to him as a prophet. For example, the Cathars (pure ones). They also refuse the symbol of the cross, seen as an evil thing that is used to inflict pain and death. As you know, the Cathars had a great influence in Italy, and despite they were publicly exterminated, their teachings continued in many circles. Their ascetic life has been an example and inspiration to many.

I don't want to start a controversial discussion. I fully accept that many people believe that Jesus is the son of God. Even if I was led to Judaism more, in Jewish mysticism you do encounter the dilemma of the "son". They talk about the Ancient One called the Vast Face, and then there is the Small Face, the spark that detached from the big fire to come to This World and enlighten it. What I want to say is that in Judaism there is this paradox, despite they don't want to call it Jesus openly (but they still call it with other names).

Being Christian born, I don't take a position. I think that we should examine all 3 main monotheistic religions, which all come from Noah. Being branches, I like to study and go to the roots in my research. So, sometimes I have to "place on hold" many developments that took place in the course of history to find the origins. And you know, our forefathers had a stronger connection with God than it happens today. Isaac went into the field and talked to God (Genesis 24:63). He did not just "pray", or "meditate", as our western translation say. He was really talking and hearing back the voice of God. The word la’suah comes from the root siah, which in Hebrew means literally "have a conversation" (not a simple meditation).
Today, we just "pray" to God and hope to be listened to. It's just a monologue. So... something was lost. That's why I think the roots were more truthful. The branches have to be taken until they are in agreement. The other topics should be taken with caution, and interpreted the correct way (it doesn't mean that they are necessarily wrong; I don't even think that in faith there is something wrong).

Between Judaism and Islam, things are very easy, more than the people think. Hebrew comes from Abraham. Arabic comes from Ishmael, Abraham's son. Ishmael simply talked Hebrew in a little different way, and Arabic came out. So, Hebrew and Arabic are very similar. For example, YHVH and Allah, despite apparently very dissimilar in their English translation, have almost the same letters, and both have the same root and meaning (from the verb "to be").
Even in mysticism, the practices and traditions are very very similar, if not identical. Sufism is very similar to Kabbalah.

Christianity came in between with a lot of different branches, but basically derives from the same. It is not surprising that they likened Jesus to God. Because this was somehow already in Judaism. They only made it more explicit.

Having become a minister of an interfaith non-denominational church, I give the rite that a person prefers (be it Muslim, Christian, or whatever). I keep heed not to offend anyone. So, I am careful with the words, when there is a difference among the monotheistic religions. But I don't see it an an impediment to live my faith. I am still a Catholic and partake of the deliverance through the son.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Edwin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:15 pm

"Is there, in your knowledge, a specific place in the New Testament where it is written expressly: "Jesus is the son of God"?" Quote by mystic

John the gospel writer authored the following:

John 3:16; “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17; For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18; He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”

I know Jesus name is not spelled out in John 3:16; 17; and 18; but is there anyone who does not believe that this is speaking of Jesus?

John 1:14; “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his gory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.”

Again Jesus name is not specifically written, but is there anyone who does not believe the above is speaking of Jesus, and when you say "the only begotten of the Father" that has to mean the son of God, because begotten of the Father means that He was born of the father, and as such was the Son of God.

John 17:5; Jesus prayed, “And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.”

When Jesus prayed and called God His Father, surely that must mean that He is the Son of God.

Colossians 1:13; “Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14; In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:”

Paul in writing to the Colossians speaking of God the Father, wrote about the kingdom of his dear Son, and who would deny that this is talking about Jesus, speaking of the "redemption throught his blood, even the forgiveness of sins," and "kingdom of his (the Father's son), so it says that He is the Son of God, not naming Jesus, but everyone believes that this is speaking of Jesus.

Hebrews 1:1; “God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2; Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;”

Again Jesus name is not written, but who would not believe that it is Jesus that is being spoken about. So this does say that Jesus is the Son of God.

Hebrews 1:5; “For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?”

Again Jesus name is not spelled out, but this passage is speaking about Jesus, and I don't think anyone would deny that. So God the father said here "Jesus, You are my son, this day I have caused you to be born." Then the next statement says "I am to Him a Father, and He is to me a Son." I think this is saying the Jesus is the Son of God.

Hebrews 3:6; But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.”

Whose Son is being spoken of here? Christ (Jesus) is the Son, and whose Son? The Son of God is He. We are His house or His building.

Luke 1:34; “Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35; And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee, shall be called the Son of God.”

"That holy thing which shall be born of thee, shall be called the Son of God." It is well understood this is speaking of Jesus, and here He "called the Son of God."

Matthew 26:63; “But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64; Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said:

The high priest commanded Jesus to tell if He was Christ, the Son of God. Jesus answered him you have said this, and I am the Son of God.

Jesus said to the high priest: "I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.”

John 19:7; “The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.”

The Jews were not happy that Jesus declared Himself as the Son of God. Here in John's gospel Jesus said that He was the Son of God.

Hebrews 1:3; “Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding of all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;”

The above is speaking about Jesus, and what He did. He is the brightness of the glory of God the Father. He is the express image of his person, or God the Father. Jesus upholds all things by the word of his power. Jesus was active in creation, and He is active in supporting creation. He "sat down on the right hand of the majesty on high." The majesty on high is God the Father, and Jesus the Son of God sat down on His right hand.

"Is there, in your knowledge, a specific place in the New Testament where it is written expressly: "Jesus is the son of God"?" Quote by mystic

I think the scriptures I quoted above give testimony that Jesus is the Son of God.

"I would also like to remember that there are Christians who do not believe that Jesus is the son of God, and point out to him as a prophet." Quote by mystic

mystic anyone who denies that Jesus is the Son of God, and says that He is merely a prophet is not a Christian. So all Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and see Him as more than a prophet.

It is important to be sensitive and try not to offend anyone, but on the other hand truth is truth, and error is error, and we must take a stand for trust, so we don't fall into error. Jesus said "search the scriptures for in them you think you have eternal life, and they speak of me." Jesus said also that "you will find me when you search for me with all your heart."

I don't want to be disagreeable, but that is my position. I take the position of most prostestant believers, and also most Catholic believers as well. :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Thank you Ed. I don't take a personal position about this topic, and you surely explain the position of Catholics and "part" of Protestants. I would not say all (see for example the works of the medioeval mystic Jacob Boehme). I have to disagree that a Christian not believing that Jesus is the son of God in not a Christian, because you would deny many Christian churches (Chathars, Neocathars, Albigeses, etc.).

I would point out some direct mentions of Jesus:
Mt 13:57: "A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household."
Mt 21:11: "This is the prophet Jesus, from Nazareth of Galilee."

I notice that in the passages you mentioned, Jesus is never directly called "son of God". It is very correct that the Christ was called directly "son of God", and the words are very selected in the Bible. To Jesus, they are always by reference, not by direct mentioning (see that when they mention the son of God there is always a shift in the words, like they are implying something else). And there must be a reason! Indeed, it is the Church that says that Jesus is the son of God, but not the Scriptures. It's an interpretation, and as such different Christian branches hold different views.

As you know, Jesus was a Jew. It is the common belief that the "condition" of being the Christ (which means "anointed") makes one the son of God. Indeed, the confirmation is made with oil (both in Judaism and Christianity), and everybody of us becomes the Christ. The Jews think that the Christ is not a physical condition, but a state of consciousness. Everybody who reach that state of consciousness is reborn and becomes the Christ, the son of God. That's one of the reasons the Jews still wait for the Messiah also, because for them he is not a physical person, but a collective uplifted state of consciousness.

You can view it from different viewpoints, but the important thing is that the effect is always the same: you accept the unction in yourself and you become reborn in the Lord. It can be believing that Jesus was the son of God and accepting him, since he was the Christ, or calling the Christ in oneself directly without calling him Jesus.

Somebody says that there are many paths to climb a mountain, but all go to the top. I don't see in integralism a path to follow, because it only leads to division. It is far too common that each religion thinks that they have the only truth (this has led only to wars, historically), while they are only seeing one aspect of the truth. I believe there is only One God and becomes manifested in different ways (and your way is of course included in those).

Deuteronomy 6:4: "The Lord our God, the Lord is One".
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Edwin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:02 am

I think that it is obvious that Jesus was referred to as the Son of God, though, you are correct in that Jesus is not named directly, but it is obvious that it is he who is referred to as the Son of God.

"I notice that in the passages you mentioned, Jesus is never directly called "son of God"." Quote by mystic

I will agree with you on that except one:

Matthew 26:63; “But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64; Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said:

The high priest commanded Jesus to tell if He was Christ, the Son of God. Jesus answered him you have said this, and I am the Son of God.

Jesus said to the high priest: "I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.”

The high priest referred to Jesus, and his name is used, that he was the Son of God, and the high priested commanded Jesus to tell if He was, Jesus said, "You have said," in fact saying it is true.

As far as Jesus being a Jew, He was a Jew, like I am an Indian. I have Indian ancestery, and Jesus was from the tribe of Judah, and of the lineage of David. David had a lot of gentile blood in him, and Jesus decended from David, so Jesus had a lot of gentile blood in Him. His grand mothers and great grandmothers were Rahab the harlot, who was 100 % gentile, and Ruth the Moabitess, who had no Jew blood in her, so David was quite a bit gentile, and Jesus inherited that. That is all the better for us who are gentiles, because Jesus as a gentile can represent us who are also gentiles.

As for Jesus being a prophet, anyone who truly speaks for God is a prophet, because that is what the word prophet means. When prophecy is given it is God speaking. So anyone who truly speaks for God is a prophet, and Jesus was a prophet in the sense that He spoke for His Father God.

I think that if you honestly look at the scriptures that I have quoted you would have to agree that the scriptures are saying that Jesus is the Son of God, and not necessarily the churches. :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:57 am

Interesting, thanks Ed. However it's the interpretation of the Curch again. Let me point this out to you (just simple observations).

"Matthew 26:63; “But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God. 64; Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said" Quote By Ed

You (Jesus) are the Christ, the Son of God. It is not written "Whether thou be the Son of God", but "whether thou be the Christ".
It is very clear that the Christ is the Son of God. Jesus, merely can be referred to as the Christ as anyone of us can be referred to (if we received the ointment).
Jesus could cover the office of the Christ, and thus he can be called by reference the Son of God, but not directly. If you do it, you are adding something that was not written. Thus, it is an interpretation.

Moreover, "Thou hast said" does not mean that Jesus is recognizing that he is the Son of God. He did not say "You are right", or "You are saying the truth". Instead, he says "Thou hast said", implying that only the high priest said it, NOT him. So, he is actually denying that he is the Son of God.

John 19:7; “he made himself the Son of God” Quote by Ed.

This is very meaningful. It is not written "he is himself the Son of God", but “he made himself the Son of God”. Here you see very well that they are two distinct things. Of course, Jesus can cover the position of Son of God, as everyone of us, if he meets certain criteria. He had actually to "make" himself a certain way, in order to be worthy to get this title. But the title is not the person who receives it.
Jesus became the Christ, and for reference he could be called the Son of God. This is what I read from the Scriptures. Simple, straight meaning.

My reference that Jesus was a Jes was because he was imbued with Judaism and promoting his own culture. We cannot see a dichotomy between Judaism and Christianity.
mystic

Postby Edwin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am

Okay, mystic, it appears very clearly that you believe what you believe, and no one is going to persuade you differently. From reading the scriptures and taking them a face value for what they are saying I believe what I believe and no one is going to persuade me differently. I don't want to offend you on this, but it seems that you read a scripture, then say, it really doesn't mean this, but it means that. I don't accept your interpretations of the way you see scripture, and you don't accept mine. We could go back and forth on this forever, but I think we have to say, "Well, you don't believe what I believe, and I don't believe what you believe. I think I have scriptural basis for what I believe, but you have scriptural interpretations for what you believe. So, I am not going to further try to convince you, and you are not going to convince me. So we, as far as I am concerned, will call this subject closed. No hard feelings, and you are right about the wars over scriptural interpretation in the past, and wars really don't prove anything. Anyway, here we are on this. Everyone on the sidelines will have to believe as they want to believe based on what they see from reading the scriptures. :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:49 am

Okay, no problem. No intention from my side to diverge either.

Just to confirm closure of the topic, what I say is not necessarily what I believe. I was in the analysis phase, before actually the involvement of belief (I like to study, investigate, seek), and we are just sharing ideas. Then, there is the other side of me, and as an ordained interfaith Rabbi I tend to refuse dogmas (unless they are proven at least in another faith). It is indeed so easy to prove things that I see no need of old dogmas or untouchable mysteries. So, being interfaith, I fully accept your view as I accept other views. They are just different interpretations.
mystic

Postby crisipicada » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:31 pm

The States of matter are: Solid, Liquid and Gas.

1. Solid, wherein particles are very close with regular arrangement; example: wood
2. Liquid, wherein particles are not very close with irregular arrangement; water
3. Gas, wherein particles are very far from each other with irregular arrangement ; example: air

Water, when it reaches to freezing point or 0 degrees Celsius, it becomes SOLID called Ice;
Ice, when it liquifies, it become water, or LIQUID;
Liquid, when it evaporates, it becomes, gas in the air.

WATER can turn into liquid, solid or gas, but it is one.

Last edited by crisipicada on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby crisipicada » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 pm

The human being has feelings, can think and decide, thus it is the soul.
The human being has can hear, listen, taste food, through senses, thus it is the body.
The human being has the knowledge of God, or the ability to know that there is Almighty God or unknown God, thus, that is the spirit within Him.

Thus, the human being consist of BODY, SOUL and SPIRIT but it is one.

All we can see is the BODY, but the human being has BODY, SOUL, AND SPIRIT.

The same thing as the the trinity.

God the Son.
God the Father.
God the Spirit.

They have different function but they are one.
Last edited by crisipicada on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Next

Return to General Forum