Christians and Their Government

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Christians and Their Government

Postby crisipicada » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 pm

We live in a world today that has poor standard in terms of morality. Presidential election in USA is already done and as many as I read in fb or here in the forum, Christians are frustrated about the result. Remember that, in Proverbs 16:33, The lot is cast into the lap but the whole disposing is of the Lord. We ask ourselves why and how come that people do not see the reality of what is going on in their nation? The same is true here in the Philippines. During election, a lot of people, too, do not like the ones who won the position in the government.

But, as Christian, we must live as what we are suppose to be. We must show a difference in this evil world. If we have Christ, then, it is not we who live, but Him who dwelleth in us, and that God be seen in our lives.

I would like to share the topic that I have learned. This is about "Christians and Their government. It will enlighten Christians on how to respond to the government that we are in, whatever system we have.

Christians and their Government
(I Timothy 2:1-6; Romans 13:1-7)

1. The Responsibilities of Christians to their government
(I Timothy 2:1-2)

A. Pray for government leaders. (I Timothy 2:2)
B. Recognize the position of government in God’s plan. (I Timothy 2:2; Romans 13:1-2)
C. Submit to the authority of the government.
(I Timothy 2:2; Romans 13:1-2, Titus 3:1; I Peter 2:13-17)

2. The purpose of government in the world.
(I Timothy 2:2; Romans 13:1-7)

There is much misunderstanding concerning the role that God planned for the government.

This misunderstanding is because people do not know what the Bible teaches.

Our text shows us that the government is supposed to maintain a peaceful and well-ordered society for the good of its citizens.

There are three ways that government can achieve this purpose. These are in Romans chapter 13.

A. Prevent the spread of evil (Romans 13:3)
B. Promote and support that which is good (Romans 13:3-4)
C. Punish those who commit evil. (Romans 13:3-4)

3. The desire of God for people in every nation (I Timothy 2:3-5; John 3:16)

A. God desires all people to be saved (I Timothy 2:4)
B. People can only be saved through the Lord Jesus Christ.
(I Timothy 2:5-6; John 14:6; Acts 4:12)
C. People will not understand this unless they are told.
(I Timothy 2:4,5; Romans 10:9, 13-14)
D. It is easier to preach the Word of God in a peaceful society (I Timothy 2:2-3)

2 Timothy 2:1-6
King James Version (KJV)

2 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

6 The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Re: Christians and Their Government

Postby Edwin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Crisi, your information is very good. We sometimes get so disappointed and so angry with the things that happen that it is hard for us to remember that we are not in this alone; that God is with us. During the last 4 years we have been thinking, "Just wait until election day, and we will get this guy out of office." We have belonged to groups that have been working to get him out of office, and turn things around for our country. I really thought that the people would have awakened by now, and that they would have seen so much evil that Barac Obama has done that they would have been ready to send him out of office, but Smiley is right; the liberal media has covered up most every evil deed he has done.

God is still in control, and He will see that the righteous are rewarded and the evil doers are punished. We merely need to be faithful to God and trust Him, then he will see us through. "This world is not our home, we are just traveling through, our treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue...." Our citizenship is truly in heaven! :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 am

When the election is over, the supporters that win the election would ask in return in exchange to their effort and support. That is the sad fact about politics. Even here in the Philippines, there are people who ask favor in return.

Not only that, many people, when they encountered problems and difficulties in life, the tend to ask the government for support, and making rally outside the City Hall or in any government offices, and make disturbance in order to hear their request.

As Christian, it is our responsibility to pray for the government. We may not like their plans and programs, but it is our duty to respect them and to pray for their guidance and wisdom so that they will lead the government in the right way. It is hard to be in the position, I believe. There are pressures, too. Many problems to make solutions, and of course, there are many things to consider in making decisions.

Therefore, we must not say against the government but in full support in prayers, respect them, and just do what we know is right. In the end, we make a beter choice.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Smiley » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:50 am

You are absolutely right there Crisi. The US election went the way it did because the people getting free stuff now outnumber the people paying for the free stuff.
I believe that it was Thomas Jefferson who said that Democracy would only survive until people discovered that they could vote themselves money.
Smiley

Postby Edwin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:49 am

I will vote for you, Crisi, along with Smiley! I have been aware of those teachings concerning government all my life, well as long as I can remember. It is a paradox, and a very hard one to understand. I would compare Barac Obama with Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Sadam Husein to mention a few. Barac Obama is just as evil as Hitler, Stalin, and Sadam, because of his evil connections wth people and his agenda for abortions and gay rights, as well as his connections with the Muslim world, and his communist idealisms. So it is hard for me to understand, but I believe God's word and what He wants us to do. God puts rulers in power even Hitler, Stalin, and Sadam, and he takes power away from them also. There is coming a judgement day, and Hitler, Stalin, Sadam, and Obama will answer for what they have done. I am thankful that there is a day coming when truth and righteousness will prevail! :D :D
Edwin

Return to General Forum