What do you believe? Does it matter?

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

What do you believe? Does it matter?

Postby crisipicada » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:48 am

Your beliefs, is what your way of life. What do you believe is what you stand for, and what you believe is important as what is truth.

Because we have different beliefs, like in many religion, so if someone is right, someone must be wrong. If someone is correct, someone must be wrong, in terms of what they believe.

People in different countries have different beliefs. Because a lot of religion exists, do you have sound doctrine? Remember, the lie of Satan is palatable than the truth. His deceits are easily to accept normally would than what normally believe.

False religion often combines the truth of God's word with mans religious philosophies. It destroys Gods word and makes the truth more confusing.

For me, the Bible is the very word of God. It is my final authority of what I believe and what I live. It is my prayer to be guided by His word. His Word is wisdom, Anything that I heard that is out of his Word, or contradicts to His word, then I refuse to accept or believe. I am not close minded person, but His word is the final authority in my life.

Example: I believe in the trinity, I believe that God's gift of salvation is through Jesus Christ, I believe that we are sealed by His Holy Spirit when we accept Jesus Christ as personal Savior and Lord, and everyone that accepted His Son Jesus Christ, become the Son of God as His word says.. but as many as receive Him gave him the power to become the Sons of God. I believe in Heaven and Hell. I believe that without Christ in life, someone is condemn and is bound to hell. I believe that Marriage is a life time, I believe in the sanctity of marriage and a lot more..

Now, what do you believe? Do you think what you believe is truth? How can you know?

Your post is highly appreciated.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Re: What do you believe? Does it matter?

Postby crisipicada » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 am

For instance: One of my officemates, believes in reincarnation: He said, after death, man will live again or reincarnate. And that contradicts in the Bible. As it is written: Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment." When someone is being judged in the court, he or she might be guilty or not. Just like us we human.. we will be judge. But those who have accepted the Lord God, through Jesus Christ, the Bible is clear, in John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. If someone does not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, he is condemned.. But those who believes in Him, is not condemned. His Word says in John 3:18 John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:32 am

Crisi, those are a lot of true words. The Bible is the final authority, and sometimes people read too many books explaining the Bible, and they lose the truth of the Bible. It is possible for a person to believe a lie and be condemned/damned. They believe the lie because they do not have a love for the truth. Jesus said you will seek me and find me when you will search for me with all your heart. It is important to believe and practice God's word. The Holy Spirit, the third person of the trinity, teaches us and guides us into all truth, and seals us to the day of redemption. It is because Jesus went to the cross and died for our sins that we have eternal life. God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosover believeth on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Yes, it is important what we believe! :D :D
Edwin

Postby mystic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:49 am

I will paste from some sources.

There are many Jewish sources dealing with what is popularly called "reincarnation." In Hebrew, it is called "gilgul ha'ne'shamot," literally the recycling or transmigration of souls.

This concept can be compared to a flame of one candle lighting another candle. While the essence of the second flame comes from the first one, the second flame is an independent entity.

Still, the new flame contains imperfections inherited from the initial flame, and it is these imperfections that are to be
corrected.

Most of the written material is very esoteric, often written in Aramaic. Some of the prominent works dealing with this subject are the "Zohar" (1st century) and the Arizal's "Shaar HaGilgulim" (16th century). In the Bible itself, the idea is intimated in Deut. 25:5-10, Deut. 33:6 and Isaiah 22:14, 65:6.

Many sources say that a soul has a maximum of three chances in this world. One example given is that the great Talmudic sage Hillel was a reincarnation of the Biblical figure Aaron.

The soul only comes into this world in the first place in order to make a spiritual repair. If that is not fulfilled by the end
of one's lifetime, then the soul will be sent down once again. The return trip may only be needed for a short time or in a
limited way. This in part explains why people are born with handicaps or may live a brief life.

It is not necessary that there be a conscious awareness in order for the correction to take place. Conscious awareness is only one level of understanding.

In Jewish mysticism, the original idea of "reincarnation" stems from the fact that the soul of Adam was composed of all future souls, and the soul of Jacob was comprised of 70 parts which were then further subdivided into the 600,000 souls of Israel. These 600,000 were then subdivided further into another 600,000. Through various reincarnations all parts of the soul are elevated and once the entire soul has been elevated the soul is no longer reincarnated. This explains the strange phenomena of why certain people engage in a specific Mitzvah (precept) in which they excel. It could be that the person’s soul descended again for sake of that specific Mitzvah.

Souls may also be reincarnated to complete a certain task, repay a debt, or rectify a sin. In fact the concept of reincarnation as rectification for sin is well documented by the mystics.

Most fascinating is the study of soul migration, which is how a soul from a previous generation is reincarnated in a later generation into a specific set of circumstances which are tailored to engineer a rectification of a previous sin. Of the hundreds of examples, we shall quote one here which is documented in the book Shaarei Teshuvah (Gates of Repentance), written by Rabbi Dovber of Lubavitch, a foremost Kabbalist and chassidic Rebbe. When we take a look at the period in history of the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492, we stand perplexed as to why that generation had the awesome task of deciding between apostasy and burning at the stake. Why was it at this particular junction of Jewish history, Jews had to endure such horrible torture and exile at the hands of the Inquisition?

Rabbi Dovber writes the following:

In the times of the first Temple, they served G-d and did not cast from themselves the yolk of heaven, except in certain idolatrous practices for which they had tremendous desire, so much so that there were only left 7,000 people that had not succumbed to Baal worship in the days of Ahab. All the Kings who served these idols were great men, and they were tainted with this heinous sin of idolatry. All these generations, who were most elevated souls, did not receive their rectification and elevation until the times of the philosophers in the time of Rashi and the Rambam until the time of the Arizal, which was from the year 4856 (1096) in the days of Rashi until the expulsion of Jews from Portugal in the year 5252 (1492), and until the time of the Arizal in 5333 (1573). The Arizal explicitly stated that in his time, the period of destruction that had swept the Jewish world for the last nearly 500 years had ended. All those who had sacrificed their lives in sanctification of G-d’s name in their thousands, and tens of thousands in each generation, all of them were souls of the first Temple. Their sin was that they had previously served idols and had nourished the Kelipot and therefore their rectification was to give up their lives in sanctification of G-d’s name with simple faith which transcended any logic or philosophy.

Imagine a soul that entered the heavenly realms in the days of the first Temple that had been tainted by the grave sin of idolatry. The soul would greatly anticipate and appreciate an opportunity to descend once again to rectify its mistake. Any momentary pain involved, including the murderous moment of being burned alive is worth it to gain eternal elevation. Hence the soul descended to a body in a later generation for rectification.

Although the body of the Spanish Jew could not comprehend why he was being hauled through this torture, what was happening was essentially a kindness for it was the key to eternal elevation. In fact, the mystics point out that the Hebrew word for “reincarnation”—Gilgul—has the same “numerical value” (gematria) as the word Chessed—“kindness.” Such presentations however have their limitations. Could one explain the Holocaust with reincarnation? The Lubavitcher Rebbe was of the opinion that although the concept of reincarnation may be a component in explaining the events of the Holocaust, one could not possibly think of such a hideous crime that would warrant such atrocities. It would be arrogant even to suggest a reason for such merciless extermination and brutality. Rather, one must take the humble position that such tragedy is beyond us. In the words of the prophet, “My ways are not your ways and My thoughts are not your thoughts says G-d.”

Though not all sufferings can be explained by reincarnation, there may however, be help in explaining tragedies such as the deaths of people taken suddenly in accidents, illness, or war. It could be that their souls needed to return to this world for a certain amount of time in order to fulfill a certain purpose, and when that purpose had been achieved, the soul could return to its eternal abode. This may also give comfort to some couples who are devastated by infertility. It could be that a couple has already fulfilled the Mitzvah of procreation in a previous incarnation, and is therefore not required to have a birth child to fulfill the Mitzvah. It must however be noted that calculations of reincarnation should never deter one from doing all that is necessary within the parameters of Jewish law to procreate.

“The hidden matters are for G-d, and the revealed aspects for us and our children.” One should walk simply before G-d, and it is beyond the vision of mere mortals to figure out whose reincarnation one may be. However, in times of challenge and specifically when we feel out of control, it is good to know that all has been meticulously planned and executed in the Divine kaleidoscope.

As a final note, the Torah is only one. The Gospel can be interpreted as a commentary, or a further development. So, we should take it accordingly. I don't think that Hebrews 9:27, "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment", contraddicts reincarnation. It does not specify which kind of death. Bodily? Spiritual? We are made by 3 parts - body, spirit and soul - 2 of which are subject to death. Also, "Appointed unto men once to die"... that must be the final death, not simply changing one's cloth (one's actual body). We cannot easily take a verse and pretend it means something. If we go for the literal meaning... we are not allowed to do much speculation. So, we cannot state that that verse is explicitly excluding reincarnation. We are still free to accept or reject all those mystical commentaries that defend or exclude reincarnation.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby mystic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:03 am

crisipicada wrote:Because we have different beliefs, like in many religion, so if someone is right, someone must be wrong. If someone is correct, someone must be wrong, in terms of what they believe.

I think this is incorrect. Only fanatics think like that. Everybody should be entitled to life his/her own faith. There is no religion that is superior to another and all of them call the same things simply with different names.

Science has success because it tries to give the same words to the same things. Its language is universal and true. Religions and philosophies always failed, because they could not bridge the truths of faith with the truths of science with a consistent lexicon. Also, if a religion wants to be really universal, and not just a sect, it needs to cover all (from faith to science, to ethics, etc.). It must represent the entire creation, not be just another truth (interpretation) of faith.

I think the bridge is possible, and it is based on careful cross-study of religions, a big listening ear, a mature heart, an understanding brain, complete respect.
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby red » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:56 pm

If you belong in a certain religion I think it matters of what you believe in because you are abound to follow the doctrine. You stand for what you believe and yes you don't have to believe what others believe. I think respect in others belief and best just mind what you believe. I don't think it is right to find others faults of what they believe in. I believe in God and I read His scriptures. I believe that Jesus died on cross for our sins. and I believe that one day one time He will come back. It is a big deal for me to follow the 10 commandments of God. But since I belong to Assemblies of God church I abound to follow the doctrine and it is what I believe in. If others think that it is wrong, it is their problem. :lol:
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

You are right Red, that if you belong to a church organization then you are obligated to accept their belief system. I am retired which means that I am not held to the same requirements as the other younger Assembly of God ministers, but they still ask me when I renew my minister's license if I accept their doctrine. At this point that is my only obligation with them, because I turned 65 at the end of 2010. They have changed the rules now, and anyone else who turns 65 in future years are financially obligated to the organization, but I will never be obligated financially because of when I was born!
Edwin

Postby Gary2310 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 am

The basis of any religion is faith. And, faith is the belief we have in certain "truths". These "truths", however, are not based on scientific evidence, but rather they are based on commonly held ideas or interpretations put forth by man and is limited to his understanding of God's word. Choosing to believe in the "truths" of one religion over those of another religion is a personal matter, and is one that is undoubtedly influenced by a person's culture and upbringing. Most of us do not first study all the possible religious "truths" that exist among all the different religions before we decide on which religion, if any, we will practice. Nor do most of us require indisputable material evidence of such "truths" before believing. That is what faith is really all about...It's a trust, in the purest form, that we have for religious "truths"...A spiritual realization reached without the benefit of logical proof.

Crisi, you are obviously a devoutly religious woman...A woman that has been blessed with the gift of faith. While I do consider myself a practicing Catholic, I admittedly question some of the Church's teachings. In other words, I do not blindly accept that which I find questionable. Do I believe in one, holy, Catholic and apostolic Church? Yes, I do. But, I also remain mindful that all religions, including Catholicism, are man's interpretation of the truth. I, personally, tend not to interpret the Bible literally. Why? Well, I think most will agree that Jesus was the ultimate teacher and a powerful speaker who made extensive use of parables. While inspired by God, the authors of the Bible were nevertheless human, capable of human error and capable of putting a human "spin" on things, which may have been necessary at the time in order to promote a particular belief. As such, it seems reasonable that, at the very least, some of the biblical verses should be considered figuratively rather than literally. And so, I tend to look at the Bible from a more historical perspective.

Whether or not we interpret a religious truth as absolute should really be just a personal issue and should not one that is the cause of hatred and disharmony around the world. I strongly believe that this world would be a much better place if people could just learn to open their minds and hearts and welcome different "forms" of an idea.
Gary2310

Postby jflaming05 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Crisi,
I think it comes down to scripture. I try to have scripture back up my beliefs and I believe that scripture is the final truth.
jflaming05

Postby DavidM » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 pm

This is what I believe: that the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to those who are being saved it is the very power of God. It never ceases to amaze me how the scientific atheist will reject even the scientific method they place their faith in any evidence that points to the cross of Jesus Christ. Others will dig and dig and pull out the most obscure writings and find something else to believe other than the bible which is the most authoritative historical document in existence in the entire world.

This message has played out in my own life. Before I was saved by grace I laughed and mocked the gospel message, but after I was saved I recognize the power that is in the cross. I rest in Jesus' finished work on the cross and rejoice in him, and also tremble at his justice.

Jesus said something very interesting to his disciples. He told them that he would not reveal himself to the world, but only to those who love him and obey his teaching. He also said that he gives eternal life to those whom the Father has given to him. I thank God that I was given that gift even though I am not worthy of it.
DavidM

Next

Return to General Forum