MOVIE FREAK

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: MOVIE FREAK

Postby Edwin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:02 pm

For my birthday at the beginning of this month our youngest daughter gave to me some movies. One of them was "Uncle Buck" and "The Great Outdoors." We watched "Uncle Buck" staring John Candy, and I love John Candy's acting, but I am sad that they think a move needs bad language and unsavory scenes to be a good movie and attract viewers. There was a lot of good humor in it, and also some questionable materials. We have not watched "The Great Outdoors," because we lost our remote control, and it is the second movie on the disk, and you have to have a remote to get to the second feature on a DVD with our DVD player. Well, I bought a cheap universal one, and now I can do that, but we haven't watched that one yet.

The other that I got was 2 disks with 2 features on each disk of "Ma and Pa Kettle." These are older movies, and they are very clean with good language and no bad scenes. The "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies are just loaded with humor, and we had so much fun watching them, that we are now watching them for the second time! Ma and Pa Kettle have 15 kids, and the Dad is lazy, and the Mom is crazy, but actually just a hick who is quite talented for keeping their household going. Anyone would enjoy the humor in these movies, and they will have you laughing a lot at the things they do as a family. :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:55 pm

"By The Light Of The Silvery Moon" I remember Fred Gwynne singing this on "Car 54 Where Are You?" about a Gazillion years ago.
Also the rich guy from Gilligans island was Jim Bacchus (I think I have the spelling right).He also was the voice of Mr Magoo!
Smiley

Postby Edwin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 am

Yes, Smiley, and Jim Backus was also in one of these old movies that I have been talking about, and we have watched so many from that era here lately that I don't remember which. I found it; he was in "Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town." We are watching those twice, so it is the next movie we are going to watch again. Fred MacMurry was in "The Egg and I" along with Ma and Pa Kettle. Margorie Main who was in "Anne of Green Gables." is the Ma of the Ma and Pa in each one of these movies. They are hillarious! A lot of these old movies were a lot better than what they are producing now! :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Postby red » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:44 pm

I been watching School of Rock over and over again lately. I like Jack Black one of the good comedians, I like all his movies. I missed a lot of new movies lately hope I can catch up one day. Where can we find pirated movies here? ha ha It is what I do in Philippines that is why I am so updated of movies even not yet showing on cinema I got copy of them already in hand! :lol:
I will watch Miss Universe 2012 tonight, it is a good show to watch he he. Let's see if Ms Philippines will win, I am praying so hard.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Red, that would be very nice if Ms Philippines would win! :D When I was in the Philippines in 2010 it seems like the people I was with were into pirated movies. They can maybe get away with that there, but I think it is a criminal offense here, but I'm not really sure. All I know is that we don't see much if any pirated movies or music, and I have heard a lot about what a bad thing it is to get involved with them. I remember when I was buying movies a few years ago on ebay, I remember the ads from the people selling made a big deal to affirm that the movies they were selling were not pirated. I am not saying it was bad for you when you were in the Philippines because I think it is common and widespread acceptance for that there. I wiil not turn you in though, Red! :lol: :lol:

Would someone else here reading the forum comment on this. I would like to know more about what other people know and think about this? Thank you so much!

We haven't watched movies much for a long time. Just lately we started watching them again, but we have lots of them from years past, and we could watch many hours worth without buying a single movie, so that is what we do. Years ago when I did buy movies on ebay, and I think that is the most reasonable place to find them, except maybe you can find good deals at Walmart, second hand stores, and book stores, anyway I bought some movies that had not been out yet, but were movies for movie critiques to view, and I got them early and pretty cheap. They had something written on them saying that they were not for sale, but for movie critics to view.

Red, when you start watching the up to day movies, let us know if you think some of them are great movies, and worth watching? Thanks, Red!
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:02 am

Tonight we watched "Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town." This was also a very funny movie. A thief came to the Kettle's place and tried to get Pa Kettle to deliver 150 thousand dollars to some crooks in New York City. Jim Backus was one of the crooks, and that movie is so funny that anyone would have a blast watching it! Richard Long stared as the oldest son of the Kettles. He started acting right out of high school, and he was very active until his death in 1974. He was only 47 years old when he died of heart trouble, which was very sad. :(
Edwin

Postby red » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Edwin wrote:Red, that would be very nice if Ms Philippines would win! :D When I was in the Philippines in 2010 it seems like the people I was with were into pirated movies. They can maybe get away with that there, but I think it is a criminal offense here, but I'm not really sure. All I know is that we don't see much if any pirated movies or music, and I have heard a lot about what a bad thing it is to get involved with them. I remember when I was buying movies a few years ago on ebay, I remember the ads from the people selling made a big deal to affirm that the movies they were selling were not pirated. I am not saying it was bad for you when you were in the Philippines because I think it is common and widespread acceptance for that there. I wiil not turn you in though, Red! :lol: :lol:

Would someone else here reading the forum comment on this. I would like to know more about what other people know and think about this? Thank you so much!

We haven't watched movies much for a long time. Just lately we started watching them again, but we have lots of them from years past, and we could watch many hours worth without buying a single movie, so that is what we do. Years ago when I did buy movies on ebay, and I think that is the most reasonable place to find them, except maybe you can find good deals at Walmart, second hand stores, and book stores, anyway I bought some movies that had not been out yet, but were movies for movie critiques to view, and I got them early and pretty cheap. They had something written on them saying that they were not for sale, but for movie critics to view.

Red, when you start watching the up to day movies, let us know if you think some of them are great movies, and worth watching? Thanks, Red!

Yay! Ms Philippines ended up first runner up in the pageant thought she would win as Ms. Universe but it was ms. USA. My husband was happy for Ms USA and I was not so happy for Ms Philippines, for me she's the winner. :D
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Yes, Red, it all has to do with perspective! If your husband had been from the Philippines he would have been wanting Ms. Philippines to win Ms. Universe. I am happy that Ms. Philippines won first runner up anyway. Maybe the judges were biased, huh, Red? That happens sometimes. Filipinas are definately beautiful ladies! I would have voted for her! :D :D
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:04 pm

While we ate supper, we watched "Catherine the Great." It had some really great acting with Zeta-Jones and Omar Sharif, to name two. The violence always bothers me, and I didn't like to see people snuffed out/killed whatever the reason. Then I don't like the battle scenes either! I guess I am just a lover and not a fighter! But, it is a good movie, and well worth watching unless it bothers you as it does me to see people killed/executed, or whatever other manner. I feel kind of like everyone has a right to live, but then I know that is not true to life. I will love it when there is peace in the valley! :D :D
Edwin

Postby Edwin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Our youngest daughter's daughter sent home with us a series of movies; "Naval Criminal Investigative Service." These types of movies I would not pick, and say, "Oh I think I will watch one of these." But they are quite interesting, and the suspence keeps you on the edge of your seat all the time, wondering what will happen next. I think we need to watch them more than one time because at the end of a session we often find ourselves wondering who did what, and what that happened. The characters are interesting. The chief guy has been married and divorced I think 3 times, and his hobby is building boats. There is one young, dumb acting guy who has some pretty good ideas, but he is young and innocent and none of them take him seriously. The chief also can be harsh, but has a good sense of humor. The coroner is old, odd and professor like, and loves to tell long stories, loves history, and is always telling something that they want him to stop telling, because he is more interested in what he is saying than they are in listening to what he is saying. There are two young investigators neither of which is married, and they are friendly rivals, having fun with each other in a dry humor sort of way. There is one young gal who examines the materials/samples collected from crime scenes, and she dresses with chains, belts, dark slip stick, and dark clothing, and is happier and more bubbly than she should be, but she is perfect at her job. The characters make the shows intesting to wach. We have been watching them while we eat. We have one DVD of them left out of a selection of 3 DVDs, but I understand that our granddaughter has more of them as well that we can borrow from her! :roll: :lol: :D
Edwin

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum