Head Lamps

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Head Lamps

Postby Edwin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:33 pm

It used to be that we used the flashlights that usually took 2 D cell batteries. I have one that I used just a few years ago that took 3 or 4 batteries, and I used rechargeable batteries in them. We got some of those flash lights that have a crank on them, and they light up as long adn you turn the crank! On that the light seems to go bright and dim constantly depending on how you are able to keep turning the handle. Then about 4 years ago we started using these lights that you strap on your head. They were great because they left your hands free to do your work, and as long as you could hold your head right, you could see. One that we used for several years, I ruined by using it when I had concrete on my fingers. Finally because of that the switch quite working, and I had to push the batteries in and out to make it light up. Our youngest daughter loaned me one that I have been using since, but I need to return it to her as Carol bought some more, and now I have a good head lamp that works well! There is nothing like being able to see what you are doing! :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Re: Head Lamps

Postby mystic » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:43 am

I am a LED fan, just for anything. It consumes nothing and is almost everlasting.

However I saw a video on youtube of a guy cooking a whole chicken in 1-2 days just exposing it to 8 LED torches... it made me question whether LEDs are safe, or it would have happened the same with normal lights. Indeed, normal lights emit a much higher heat... so, dunno if it is the effect of the heat or some other unforeseen radiation of LEDs... should check with a spectrophotometer :D
"The real opposite of love is not hate, but indifference" (Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz)
mystic

Postby Smiley » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 am

I know that with led lighting you can have a better control of the spectrum produced.I have been looking at led`s for several years.Some friends of mine are producing led arrays that emit a full sunlight spectrum and produce more lumens than a 1000 watts of florescent lighting while consuming less than 340 watts. They run cooler as well because the electricity converts to light not heat so they do not drive up the temperature in the space they are operating in.
They are much better for the environment as well both in terms of pollution associated with their manufacture and their disposal than any other lighting option.
Smiley

Postby Edwin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:04 am

When we lived at the head of the lake in the National Park our electrical bills were quite high. Our supervisor was singing the praises of the little twistie, florescent bulb, and listening to him, I thought he was full of hot air, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made, so I got a bunch of them, 35 wats, but 100 watts effect, and I could not believe how it cut our electrical bills. After that we used all the light we wanted, and it was still cheap! We are stil using them, and I am a believer! :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:08 am

Be careful how you dispose of those cfl(twisty) bulbs.They do use a lot less wattage to light a room but at a cost of high pollution,both during their manufacture and disposal. One 34watt cfl contains enough mercury to contaminate 22000litres of ground water.
Find out if your area has facilities to recycle or otherwise get rid of them safely.
Smiley

Postby Edwin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:56 am

Thanks for the information, Smiley. When we went to get the tubes for the kitchen they told us they would not take the old tubes after we bought the new ones, but then when we went to pay for them the gal said well, this Christmas Eve, so I will take the old tubes. I was relieved at that, because I didn't want to have to take them home to try to dispose of them.
When she was telling me she wouldn't take the tube, she said that they do take the twisties though, and I assume that they dispose of them properly. I am surprised the public is not educated better about the proper disposal of the twisties. One nice thing also is that they last almost forever before burning out/failing! :D :D
Edwin

Return to General Forum