The Importance of a Language

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

The Importance of a Language

Postby chaychay644 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:35 am

Language is a means in which people used to communicate in order to express their feelings. Language varies from place to place. Here in the Philippines “Tagalog” is our National language & there are a total of 170 other different dialects from all over the country. Dialects are usually considered as less desirable forms of a standard language because, we cannot use it in writing communications/letters for formal situations. People who do not know the standard language are sometimes viewed as deficient, incomplete, lacking in education.

Before, the Philippines were under the Spanish Era, the second language that has been taught at school was the Spanish Language. That is why there are a lot of Filipinos who knows to speak Spanish language.

We have been educated about the English language from the time we entered school because it is used in some subjects such as Chemistry, Science, Research, Statistics, Physics and Mathematics. But, despite of that we can’t deny the fact that not all educated people have the ability to use the said language perfectly.

But, still it is a must that we know how to communicate to other people.
chaychay644

Re: The Importance of a Language

Postby Komputer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:36 am

Well you and most Filipinos might not "have the ability to use the said language perfectly.
But at least you can handle the English language a lot better than most of us Americans can handle Tagalog,
Heck you can handle Tagalog, English and Spanish
That 2 more languages than most of us Americans can handle,

bottom line ...can we understand each other?
Komputer

Postby chaychay644 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:03 am

Komputer wrote:Well you and most Filipinos might not "have the ability to use the said language perfectly.
But at least you can handle the English language a lot better than most of us Americans can handle Tagalog,
That 2 more languages than most of us Americans can handle ?

Not all of us can speak Spanish Language, not even me :lol: :lol: :lol: Those who knows how to Speak the Language were those who were born during the Spanish Era. Coz it was the language used in school during that time. But, here in the Philippines, we have lots of dialects and it differs from place to place. Its just good that we have our National Language, which is the "Tagalog" or else people from all over the Philippines can't understand each other :lol: :lol: :lol:
chaychay644

Postby Mr.Magoo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Yes, I have noticed that some Filipinos cannot understand what their countrymen are saying, yet they are both Filipinos. I am wondering what it will be like for me if I decide to go visit a lady in the Philippines, and she can't speak English very well, and I can't speak any Filipino dialects. Is there any chance of having a successful relationship without clear verbal communication? I have run across a few ladies in the Picture's Listing pages who I have attempted to befriend as penpals, and they had little knowledge of the English language, which created an immediate barrier, which is difficult to get around. Maybe the only way that something like that could work is if one of us lived in the vicinity of the other, and we had a lot of time to be around each other, and possibly we could build some sort of bond without using a lot of words.
Mr.Magoo

Postby Chas » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Komputer wrote:Well you and most Filipinos might not "have the ability to use the said language perfectly.
That 2 more languages than most of us Americans can handle,

bottom line ...can we understand each other?

What is it they say about the English and the Americans "two countries separated by a common language" :lol:

Try asking for the "comfort room" in England and you will get a puzzled look - try toilet. There are lots more examples. I guess the same thing can happen in the Philippines. We need to remember - to communicate effectively - keep it simple.
Chas

Postby tom » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:43 am

sometimes i wonder if the language "barrier" is an "insurmountable barrier"?... or, if it could possibly be a blessing in disguise?... what do you think?.... sometimes i think, if it will take years for a couple to learn each other's language and learn how to communicate fully with one another, maybe it will be a blessing because the conversations and communicating might never become boring :lol: ..... [and... hehehe... if your asawa says something you don't like, you can pretend you don't understand... hehehe... (i hope you will understand i am making a joke)]....
Image"Weep not! Behold! the Lion of the tribe of Judah is victorious... and His kingdom will never end." (rev.5; luke 1:30-33;isaiah 9:6-7,11:1-10)
tom

Postby Chas » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:41 pm

tom wrote:sometimes i wonder if the language "barrier" is an "insurmountable barrier"?... or, if it could possibly be a blessing in disguise?... what do you think?.... sometimes i think, if it will take years for a couple to learn each other's language and learn how to communicate fully with one another, maybe it will be a blessing because the conversations and communicating might never become boring :lol: ..... [and... hehehe... if your asawa says something you don't like, you can pretend you don't understand... hehehe... (i hope you will understand i am making a joke)]....

And do not forget body language. Equally important and not always in agreement with what is being spoken :lol: Us poor men have a tough life trying to understand women. ;) Especially when Yes means No and No means Yes :?
Chas

Postby crisipicada » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Guys, i tell you, as filipina, it is not our culture to show to the men that we like him. It is better to show interest first, in body language and words. Oh you learn tip from me now! :P :P :P
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:30 am

Many years ago now worked for an apple orchardist who hired illegal alien Mexicans. He would send Mexicans to the Southern USA to pick up van loads of them to bring them back to work for him. I was working with them, and I learned a few Spanish words, not many. Then word came that the border patrol cops were coming through the valley, so they loaded the Mexicans up, took them up into the hills above town to hide them. I was with them so they ask me to get in and go with them which I did. It was a funny experience. That guy and the illegal Mexicans got into trouble eventually, and they were returned to Mexico, he was fined, and now he has Hatian people from Hatia working for him.

Years later I substitute taught in this town and another near by. I learned a few more Spanish words, and the kids tried to teach me words and phrases, but some of the other kids told me not to repeat what they were telling me, because they were trying to teach me things that I shouldn't have been saying, so I took their advice and didn't learn any of what the kids were trying to get me to say. We had some very good Mexican friends when our kids were in the elementary school, and we still have a friendship with those people.
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:12 am

Language is very important especially when the other is a foreign one. Learn to understand and speak your each language and express it in action. Example: Mahal kita means "I love you" accompany with hugs and kisses. :D :D :D
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Next

Return to General Forum