Taking a ship to the Philippines instead of flying

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Taking a ship to the Philippines instead of flying

Postby Edwin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:38 pm

I have been curious for some time about the possibilities of riding on a ship instead of flying. I did a little looking using google.com, and I found some possibilities of a person going on a cargo ship as a passenger, but I couldn't find any shipping routes directly from the United States to the Philippines. I know a lot of cargo ships depart from Vancouver, Canada, and perhaps there is a possibility of taking a cargo ship from Canada to the Philippines. Does any one know where a person could get information about this. One of the reasons I am looking into this is because my wife is afraid to fly. She was also afraid of water until we lived at the head of a 55 mile lake without any roads in, necessitating taking a boat. So she might not be able to handle a ship ride to the Philippines anyway. I got the idea that it might be cheaper to fly than to go on a cargo ship as they charge for each day, and it takes more time for a ship to make these trips than for an airplane. It might be a fun vacation experience to take a ship, and I guess the passengers get more or less royal treatment while traveling on a ship. I am just wondering if anyone has done this, or is aware of the possibilities. So it would be fun to hear if anyone has any ideas. Thank you! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Re: Taking a ship to the Philippines instead of flying

Postby Chas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Friends of mine did this from the UK to South Africa. It is definitely not cheap. There is little to do on board apart from eat, sleep, read or watch DVDs. It is not like a cruise ship where entertainment and frequent visits to port are arranged to keep the passengers occupied.
Chas

Postby Edwin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:22 am

Chas wrote:Friends of mine did this from the UK to South Africa. It is definitely not cheap. There is little to do on board apart from eat, sleep, read or watch DVDs. It is not like a cruise ship where entertainment and frequent visits to port are arranged to keep the passengers occupied.

Sounds boaring, huh, Chas? Thanks for the input. From what I found from google.com it sounded like it would cost more than flying. :) :) :) :)
Edwin

Postby erwin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:42 am

Better fly than boating
erwin

Postby chaychay644 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:20 pm

erwin wrote:Better fly than boating

Erwin is right..coz if you ride in a boat..it will takes longer compared when u just fly..:) the faster the better..:)
chaychay644

Postby Edwin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:50 am

chaychay644 wrote:
erwin wrote:Better fly than boating

Erwin is right..coz if you ride in a boat..it will takes longer compared when u just fly..:) the faster the better..:)

And when the faster is cheaper it just makes good sense. :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Postby cougarkharne » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:44 am

By ship must take weeks if not months, All you do is sit around eating? I doubt they have a gourmea cook on board :lol: :lol: :lol: . Be good if you are low on cash though, you could work your passage over. you might even be able to get in some fishing time. My advice to you take the plane. It is cheaper, faster, comfier and a whole lot safer. :D :D :D

P.S. Keep a watch out for Somali pirates if you go :) :) :)
cougarkharne

Return to General Forum