Change your diet now!

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: Change your diet now!

Postby Edwin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm

I think I need to change my diet now as it is so easy to get into the habit of eating more than necessary because something tastes good! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :) :) :) :)
Edwin

Postby Erin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:12 pm

I'm always confused by all the diets. If meat is bad for you then why is there paleo diets that consist primarily of meat and are supposed to be good for you? I've also seen diets that are low-carb and say that eating eggs and bacon is healthy or not as bad for you when eaten with carbs in a regular carb diet.
Erin

Postby Edwin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:14 pm

There are a lot of fad diets out that are actually pretty harmful for people's health. I have a sister of a sister-in-law who has lost hundreds of pounds over the years. She is constantly either gaining or losing. She gains until she is horrified, and then she loses until she is satified, and I don't think that is good for her health. Most of our married life Carol has been over weight. Early in our marriage I used to give her a bad time about it, even saying mean things sometimes, but I don't say anything at all anymore. She has a hard time, and she can't help it, so I try to be kind to her in every way that I can. A few years ago I got fairly heavy for me. Carol gave me a bad time about that too. She said, "I have always been fat, but I do not want to be married to a fat husband!" It didn't bother me much when she was the one saying that, but when the National Park Service Ranger, who was also our friend, gave me a bad time, saying you are gaining weight because you are not here shoveling snow, which was true, and then he would laugh. I was getting paid back for when I used to be mean about Carol being heavy. Well I started taking weight loss seriously, and I am down a long ways from where I was then, like about 30 pounds!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think people who are serious about losing weight need to exercise. Then I think they usually need to eat smaller portions of what they do eat. You need a balanced diet, and if you go on a fad diet you are likely to damage your health. Most foods that you need, and are good for your health will cause you to become fat if you over eat on them. I don't think people who are making an effort to exercise and diet should beat themselves up either when they fail, because it is the long haul and the eating and exercising habits that count. It is a lifestyle change that is needed. I have made jokes about fat people because I have never had much of a problem with being overweight, and Carol has reminded me of that, and it is true that I have not been very nice that way a few times. Carol tells me, "Just you wait, maybe the Lord will punish you and allow you to be a fat man!" For a while she thought it was coming true, and I was worried about it too! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol
Edwin

Postby brat4300 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:16 pm

Problems with the food we intake in the USA is that it is robbed of its vital nutrients. Farmers mass produce foods and don't let the soil recover, everything we eat is over processed to have a longer shelf life and fast food is so dang convenient it is breeding laziness and stupidity.

The USA may be the country everyone wants to come to but it is also slowly killing itself. Finding good foods is harder and harder to do and is becoming more expensive.

True as it was long ago, eating a balanced diet and getting a good amount of exercise and sleep is the key to good health.
brat4300

Postby Edwin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 pm

You are correct about the rising costs of food. We spend more and get less than we did just a few years ago. Our daughter takes her calculator to the store and adds the price of everything she puts in the cart. We have a granddaughter living with us, and her mother allows us about $200.00/month for food money, so now we take the calculator, and that is my job to add up the groceries, so that we don't over spend before we get to the cash register.

Between our daughter and us we raise a large garden and that helps. We are still eating things that came out of that garden, and they are much better than what you buy from the store. I think it is the goat/cow/chicken manure that does the trick! No, I don't know, but it is good food. Then our daughter milks a cow and some goats, and I do that when she is gone, otherwise she won't let us help her with her chores. She used to follow me around when she was a little gal, while I did the chores, and now the roles have reversed. I drink more milk than anyone here, and eat more eggs as well, and Carol, I, and our granddaughter use more milk and eggs than their family does, so I contribute money for feed for these animal, and our daughter does the work, and we get all the produce from them we want, and that is really wonderful. She has to operate here as a business in order to keep her land in open space, and so that helps too. It was part of my great grandfather's homestead, and land our family donated to the school district so that they could hold school here for many years. Now the school has returned that land to our family, and my mother sold this property to our kids. It is 40 acres, and our kids invited us to live by them, so we are in a double wide about 600 feet or so from their house.

I also eat a lot of Adam's Old Fashioned Peanut butter, honey, and I drink milk with that, and I think that helps keep me healthy as well. We don't like all the things they do to our food before it goes to the grocery store, but what can a person do? We eat a lot of oatmeal, rasins and milk. Carol is a diabetic, so we do limit the amount of white refined sugar that we eat. We also try to use whole wheat flour as well. We get the wheat from our neighbors and grind our own flour. I try to stay away from the doctor as much as I can. You know if you go to see the doctor he/she is going to tell you that you have something wrong with you, and you need medications. I don't take medications for anything, not pain, not headaches, not flue. If it would become necessary I would take them, but I believe most people are over medicated and that causes them troubles as well. My wife, Carol, takes lots of medications, but she has to for her diabetes. She also takes something for depression, which is hard for me to understand, but I have never suffered with depression. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Edwin

Postby chaychay644 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 am

Edwin wrote:You are correct about the rising costs of food. We spend more and get less than we did just a few years ago. Our daughter takes her calculator to the store and adds the price of everything she puts in the cart. We have a granddaughter living with us, and her mother allows us about $200.00/month for food money, so now we take the calculator, and that is my job to add up the groceries, so that we don't over spend before we get to the cash register.

Between our daughter and us we raise a large garden and that helps. We are still eating things that came out of that garden, and they are much better than what you buy from the store. I think it is the goat/cow/chicken manure that does the trick! No, I don't know, but it is good food. Then our daughter milks a cow and some goats, and I do that when she is gone, otherwise she won't let us help her with her chores. She used to follow me around when she was a little gal, while I did the chores, and now the roles have reversed. I drink more milk than anyone here, and eat more eggs as well, and Carol, I, and our granddaughter use more milk and eggs than their family does, so I contribute money for feed for these animal, and our daughter does the work, and we get all the produce from them we want, and that is really wonderful. She has to operate here as a business in order to keep her land in open space, and so that helps too. It was part of my great grandfather's homestead, and land our family donated to the school district so that they could hold school here for many years. Now the school has returned that land to our family, and my mother sold this property to our kids. It is 40 acres, and our kids invited us to live by them, so we are in a double wide about 600 feet or so from their house.

I also eat a lot of Adam's Old Fashioned Peanut butter, honey, and I drink milk with that, and I think that helps keep me healthy as well. We don't like all the things they do to our food before it goes to the grocery store, but what can a person do? We eat a lot of oatmeal, rasins and milk. Carol is a diabetic, so we do limit the amount of white refined sugar that we eat. We also try to use whole wheat flour as well. We get the wheat from our neighbors and grind our own flour. I try to stay away from the doctor as much as I can. You know if you go to see the doctor he/she is going to tell you that you have something wrong with you, and you need medications. I don't take medications for anything, not pain, not headaches, not flue. If it would become necessary I would take them, but I believe most people are over medicated and that causes them troubles as well. My wife, Carol, takes lots of medications, but she has to for her diabetes. She also takes something for depression, which is hard for me to understand, but I have never suffered with depression. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

it really saves a lot of money to have garden just like what you have..and the foods are totally safe compared to the one we buy at the store wherein they are all processed foods...
chaychay644

Postby Edwin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:29 pm

chaychay644 wrote:
Edwin wrote:You are correct about the rising costs of food. We spend more and get less than we did just a few years ago. Our daughter takes her calculator to the store and adds the price of everything she puts in the cart. We have a granddaughter living with us, and her mother allows us about $200.00/month for food money, so now we take the calculator, and that is my job to add up the groceries, so that we don't over spend before we get to the cash register.

it really saves a lot of money to have garden just like what you have..and the foods are totally safe compared to the one we buy at the store wherein they are all processed foods...

You are right, ChayChay, the garden gives exercise, saves money on the food bill, and gives you good food to eat among other benefits! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:10 am

Oh yeah always diet.. more fruits and veggies and welch grape juice. I am improving now.. though quite expensive :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby HappyDave » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Well,

I for one could not and would not give up meat. I eat meat at least once a day. I also start the day off with toast, two eggs, fried, scrambled omelet etc and at least two cups of coffee. I have two beers with dinner and always two or three glasses of good red or white wine.

I am 60 years old and cannot recall a time when I didn't eat meat. When I was a lad of about 17, doing an apprenticeship my Mother would cook me steak and two eggs for breakfast before I went off to work.

I am fit and healthy albeit a little overweight by about 10-lbs, I walk two miles with my dog every day, rain hail or shine. I buy veggies from the supermarket because I hate gardening. I do make almost everything from scratch though. The only processed foods I have are things like Tomato paste, 9-grain bread, Ketchup and Soy sauce.

I love cooking and my favorites are Thai, Chinese, the occasional dish with Pansit (Pancit), :) Italian and Indian curries. I eat chicken or turkey only about twice per month and always with the skin on. The rest of the time it is beef, pork or veal.

I have not been to a doctor or hospital in 15 years other than a brief visit when I broke my thumb and the bone was sticking out of the back of the skin. I pulled it back in but after 6 hours I still could not stop it weeping blood so I drove 30 miles to the hospital and got some stitches, 12 of them. I can attach a pic if anyone is interested!! Yuk !!! LOL

So I am living proof that statistics are just that and unless the statistic is 100%, it may not apply to you, or me or anyone. The only statistic I know of that is 100% certain is dying. :)

I live life with a happy outlook and I do everything I can that gives me pleasure. If that's chomping into a big old BBQd rib-eye steak several times a week, that's for me. :D

We only get one shot at life and I would rather die early having enjoyed the trip rather then just existed through it. Woo Hooooooooo

Dave
HappyDave

Postby crisipicada » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:29 am

I've been eating papaya for my dinner. I love to eat papaya especially sweet one. It feels good to eat fruits and veggies. It is a kind of eating healthy
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum