A teacher!

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: A teacher!

Postby Rhusette_me » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Edwin wrote:
ruffa2010 wrote:yeah! I also vote for u rhusette. Hehe...

Rhusette has all our votes, huh? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohhhh! I do??? Great! thanks for all the votes!! Im so sorry Mr. Abufarsi, I didnt mean to be rude.. I hope u can forgive me but I am just telling the truth!
Rhusette_me

Postby abufarsi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Ah yes...

No surprise there. Making peace is usually preferred to making war.

None of those who voted felt that taking the high road was worth risking social isolation, and that is why people from all perspectives write, or read, so we can have insight into the hearts of others.

I have several other pet peeves... dealing with the Philippines...
Government officials deliberately not doing their job in the hope that those they were hired to serve will pay them extra.
Wildly unsafe or out and out rude drivers.

ON the reverse, my life is far richer now that I have visited the Islands.

Never have I felt so free of regulation, enforcement, taxes, government in general than in the Philippines. No longer did I look into the rear view mirror fearing that I would see highway patrol. Just never mind permits, or inspections, just remain small and nobody cares. It gave me a whole new perspective to the slogans I heard in youth that American was fighting wars to be free. Never felt that I might make a error, and get sued for everything I owned or will ever own.

Friends are always close by. Just be friendly and every body is friendly in return. People will talk to you even their English is poor. Share their lives with you.

Children are outside, everywhere. I love watching kids play, they remind me of my youth and I can re-live that youth through them.

The Philippines are a beautiful place, both in far away views of forests and mountains and close by in it's gardens and art.

REALLY great weather, never freeze or bake.

The Philippines is full of diverse cultures and languages. Full of national pride, and cultural pride. Stimulating investigations into cultural values make traveling about very intellectually rewarding.

Filipino food is very good. Fresh fish is hours old not days like the USA. Letchon manok, a dream to eat and even though several slight changes in recipe, all sumptuous treats. Humba, I am sure my high cholesterol is due to that dish, but worth it. Chicken adobo, finger licking good! Caldereta!... It makes me hungry for the Philippines. Upon returning to the USA, I was surprised how bland bananas were here. No Duran here either, go figure.

I miss the pace of life I enjoyed there. How calm I was, inside. How safe I felt as to my ability to meet my financial needs.

No place is perfect. Not the USA, Not the Philippines. In the USA criticism is every where in the press. Surely it is 95% of Fox news. Not a bit of it is hateful or hurtful. It is an idea that if problems are exposed to public inspection, they are far more likely to be resolved.

I am an American, but criticism of America does not offend me.
If you are a Filipino, why should criticism of the Philippines offend you?
abufarsi

Postby eStu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 am

abufarsi wrote:Ah yes...

It's been said 'If you want peace, prepare for war', but I'm not sure that we were under threat from the aspiring and optimistic teacher who started the thread.

abufarsi wrote:None of those who voted felt that taking the high road was worth risking social isolation, and that is why people from all perspectives write, or read, so we can have insight into the hearts of others.

I'm not sure what you mean by the above. I don't mind risking social isolation, but I'm not sure if we're of the same mind as to what constitutes the high road here. Either way, I didn't cast a vote. I'm all for free speech but I think there might be a better place to air your views, such as in another thread. I note Edwin's comment, however:

Edwin wrote:We'll all vote for you on that one, Rhusette! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Is this contemporaneous evidence of election fraud??? :o You just can't trust those corrupt vote-fixing teachers can you?!? :D :lol: (kidding)

abufarsi wrote:No place is perfect. Not the USA, Not the Philippines. In the USA criticism is every where in the press. Surely it is 95% of Fox news. Not a bit of it is hateful or hurtful. It is an idea that if problems are exposed to public inspection, they are far more likely to be resolved.

I agree that exposing problems can be a positive step towards attending to them. I'm all for discussion of issues, including robust discussion where warranted.

abufarsi wrote:I am an American, but criticism of America does not offend me.

It may not be the broad concept criticism per se that people are objecting to, but the forum (meaning, in this case, the specific thread) that you've chosen. Maybe some cultures deal with criticism differently, I'm not American of Filipino, and I'm not offended by criticism in and of itself but then again you did apologise to Rhusette earlier in the thread.

You've raised some interesting topics, but I reckon they're worthy of a thread of their own if they're to be dicsussed. I'd also offer that the more constructive the criticism the more likely it is to be well received, and that's more than a mere matter of semantics.
eStu

Postby Rhusette_me » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:48 am

eStu wrote:
abufarsi wrote:Ah yes...

It's been said 'If you want peace, prepare for war', but I'm not sure that we were under threat from the aspiring and optimistic teacher who started the thread.

abufarsi wrote:None of those who voted felt that taking the high road was worth risking social isolation, and that is why people from all perspectives write, or read, so we can have insight into the hearts of others.

I'm not sure what you mean by the above. I don't mind risking social isolation, but I'm not sure if we're of the same mind as to what constitutes the high road here. Either way, I didn't cast a vote. I'm all for free speech but I think there might be a better place to air your views, such as in another thread. I note Edwin's comment, however:

Edwin wrote:We'll all vote for you on that one, Rhusette! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Is this contemporaneous evidence of election fraud??? :o You just can't trust those corrupt vote-fixing teachers can you?!? :D :lol: (kidding)

abufarsi wrote:No place is perfect. Not the USA, Not the Philippines. In the USA criticism is every where in the press. Surely it is 95% of Fox news. Not a bit of it is hateful or hurtful. It is an idea that if problems are exposed to public inspection, they are far more likely to be resolved.

I agree that exposing problems can be a positive step towards attending to them. I'm all for discussion of issues, including robust discussion where warranted.

abufarsi wrote:I am an American, but criticism of America does not offend me.

It may not be the broad concept criticism per se that people are objecting to, but the forum (meaning, in this case, the specific thread) that you've chosen. Maybe some cultures deal with criticism differently, I'm not American of Filipino, and I'm not offended by criticism in and of itself but then again you did apologise to Rhusette earlier in the thread.

You've raised some interesting topics, but I reckon they're worthy of a thread of their own if they're to be dicsussed. I'd also offer that the more constructive the criticism the more likely it is to be well received, and that's more than a mere matter of semantics.

'Well, what's the big deal of apologizing?? Abufarsi apologizes because she think he hurt someone's feelings, specifically, MY feelings! And I do think he's strong enough to admit he's wrong! Why are you giving such a big deal with that, Estu? And FYI, I didnt said you vote for me or agree with me.. Because that's your own choice! And my life won't be miserable even if you dont agree with me.. Are you aware of the saying that "If you don't have something nice to say, better shut your mouth up"!??hmmmm?
Rhusette_me

Postby abufarsi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Rhusette, Estu,

I am hearing you loud and clear.

The error here is that I have the opinion that because I have been to the Philippines, and America, that I have a unique perspective than those who may be here for their first (and last) relationship with a foreigner.

I do have a certain pride that I have developed understandings of cultural differences, and this pride can make me seem arrogant.

In the future I PROMISE to tone it down some. This will be very hard for me, but I do want to do the right things if I can. If I again get wound up in my own crusade to right the worlds wrongs, please remind me of my promise.

Rhusette...

I cannot remember a single person I respected suggesting that " if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all". This is not because I would not respect somebody who said it but simply it has not been said to me. This is a social site, and good social manners should be the plan of the day, and your advise is clearly good social advise.

Thank you.
abufarsi

Previous

Return to General Forum