Devotion, Inspiration, Prayers...

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: Devotion, Inspiration, Prayers...

Postby Edwin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:34 pm

There has been a controversy for some time now between the old church hymns/songs, and the new what they call worship or praise songs. Our Assembly of God church we attended for years, and actually I was dedicated there when I was months old. They stays with the hymns/songs longer than most other churches/groups. We had a pastor that liked the hymns. We sang a quite a number of choruses, mostly by memory without written music, although I think there is written music available for most of them. When we would visit other churches we most of the time didn't know their worship/praise songs as we didn't sing them in our church. This happened mostly until the mid 1990s when we started attending a very good Free Methodist Church which believed mostly like we did, although not 100% as I learned when I became interested in membership, which didn't happen after I learned they didn't believe the Bible exactly as we did, and also we move away for 10 years. They had 2 services; one they called the traditional with the older hymns/songs, and another called the contemporary with the new worship/praise songs. We attended the first service almost without exception because we identified with the hymns/songs. Then after we moved with started worshipping with some people who sang those worship/praise songs, so we sang along and learned many of them.

Now we are back to attending that Free Methodist Church, which is a good church. Now they have 2 identical services, so we attend the later one as it is easier to get out of bed and get to town in time for the second service. They sing a lot of the worship/praise songs and we are singing along, although we prefer the hymns/songs. It is a real controversy where our kids attend church near Spokane where our grandson is the worship leader with his guitar, the piano, which makes me happy, drums, and second guitar. The older people are complaining, and our grandson is in the middle of the controversy. Our daughter told him she wanted him to push the worship/praise songs as it is a University city, and those songs draw the younger people whereas they are not fond of the hymns/songs. She wants to attract the younger people because she says that the older peope who like the hymns/son are dying and if they don't keep the younger people their church will die also, and she has a point. I still love "What If It Were Today',"Nearer, Still Nearer," "Jesus Is Coming Again,""I Won't Have to Cross Jordan Alone,""Safe in the Arms of Jesus." "My Savior First of All, "Where the Roses Never Fade,"'He Is Coming Again,""He the Pearly Gates Will Open," "He'll Understand and Say, "Well Done, and so on. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby youngj » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:19 pm

Every day be thankful for what you have and who you are.

Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings. Thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.

Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as long as possible. Thank you, Lord , that I can see. Many are blind.

Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising. Thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.

Even though the first hour of my day is hectic, when socks are lost, toast is burned, tempers are short, and children can be so loud.
Thank you, Lord, for my family.. There are many who are lonely.

Even though our breakfast table never looks like the picture in magazines and the menu is at times unbalanced..
Thank you, Lord, for the food we have. There are many who are hungry.

Even though the routine of my job often is monotonous. Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job.

Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my circumstances were not so modest.
Thank you, Lord, for life.
youngj

Postby crisipicada » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:23 pm

youngj wrote:Every day be thankful for what you have and who you are.

Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings. Thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.

Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as long as possible. Thank you, Lord , that I can see. Many are blind.

Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising. Thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.

Even though the first hour of my day is hectic, when socks are lost, toast is burned, tempers are short, and children can be so loud.
Thank you, Lord, for my family.. There are many who are lonely.

Even though our breakfast table never looks like the picture in magazines and the menu is at times unbalanced..
Thank you, Lord, for the food we have. There are many who are hungry.

Even though the routine of my job often is monotonous. Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job.

Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my circumstances were not so modest.
Thank you, Lord, for life.

wow thanking the Lord everyday makes us feel good. God smiles when we are grateful to HIM.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:39 pm

Godliness with contentment is great gain, and it is very good to be thankful for what we have, even if it seems like it is not much. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:11 pm

Lord,
When I am tired and weary, give me rest,
When I am weak, may You be my strength.
When I am disappointed, help me to trust in You.
When I am hurting, heal me.
When I lose sight of life, restore Your Spirit within me.
When things seem impossible, let Your will be done...
Amen.
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:34 pm

crisipicada wrote:Lord,
When I am tired and weary, give me rest,
When I am weak, may You be my strength.
When I am disappointed, help me to trust in You.
When I am hurting, heal me.
When I lose sight of life, restore Your Spirit within me.
When things seem impossible, let Your will be done...
Amen.

That is a very good prayer, Crisi, for whatever condition you find yourself in! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:51 pm

I am emotionally low now, and God is the only one I can count on and the times when I feel not better He is the one I can talk to and read HIs word.
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm

crisipicada wrote:I am emotionally low now, and God is the only one I can count on and the times when I feel not better He is the one I can talk to and read HIs word.

I am very sorry that you are emotionally low, Crisi, and yes God is the one you can count on, and talking to Him and reading His word does help so much! :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:41 pm

I am weak but my God is strong.
I don't have all but I have Him.
Though I'm tired, I know He's not tired
of loving me.
And that's enough inspiration
for me to face each day.
Because I am someone imperfect...
But loved by a perfect God.
Be blessed by His love. :D :D
crisipicada

Postby farmer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Observe a rice field.

You would notice which heads are bent and which ones stand up straight. Well, the empty heads are standing tall and high, but the heads filed with grains are bending low. Indeed, the true, great and strong people are humble and gentle. And they don't mind bowing low. Humility brings blessing :P
farmer

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum