Life On Small Island

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Life On Small Island

Postby Manilaman » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:56 pm

I would like to hear about life on a small island in the Philippines. Maybe 500-1000 people. There are many small islands, but we never hear about those people. What is life like on a small island?
Manilaman

Re: Life On Small Island

Postby Andrewm » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 am

Manilaman, I thought this a very legitmate topic and question. What is life like on some of these very quiet, small village Philippine islands?

It is a shame that you have not had any replies in these six weeks. I certainly cannot provide any info on this. I just echo the curious question. Are some island paradises rich in natural beauty and mostly untouched by modernity? Or are some so remote as to be backwards and uninteresting?

And then want to ask the bigger questions: Is it just a couple of Filipinos total who visit this site and comment? Why so very few? How sad. I think people (mostly men) come to this website/forum for three reasons: 1) the hope of interaction with Filipinas, 2) a cultural exchange of ideas and habits, 3) direct insights and information about life in the Philippines.

I am only a guest here for not even a half year, so I cannot make grand conclusions. But I don't see much lively exchange going on within the forum topics. Manilaman's island question and the resulting silence are just one small example. What can be done to increase the participation of people from (living in) the Philippines?
Andrewm

Postby Manilaman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Andrewm. I doubt the real Filipina "island girl" has a PC (some do not even have electricity) or even access to an internet cafe so is not likely posting on this forum. I get the sense that the Filipinas on this forum and on JadeRune are looking to be a princess (though they won't admit it) so have zero interest in discussing small island life in the Philippines if they even know anything about that lifestyle (doubtful).

That's not to be negative to the Filipinas here--they are intitled to want what they want.
Manilaman

Postby chaychay644 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Manilaman wrote:I would like to hear about life on a small island in the Philippines. Maybe 500-1000 people. There are many small islands, but we never hear about those people. What is life like on a small island?

I was born and raised in Calbiga, a small town located in the Western Samar. It is the place where I took my Elementary and High School education and based on my experience I consider living in Calbiga as the best place to live coz it is very peaceful, food are cheap, people are nice, it also has signal for internet and mobile for easy communication.

and if you want to unwind and relax from your hectic schedule either from work or study..you can go to any of the beautiful natural resources such as the Lulugayan Falls, Spark (Park) and Langun-Gobingob Cave.

After high school graduation i moved to San Jorge Samar were i took BS in Food & Nutrition at North West Samar State University. It is also a small town and life there isn't really different as it is in Calbiga though the first is bigger.

Then after i graduated from college I moved again to Catbalogan City were i worked in the government office for 3 years and i really like the place coz foods are also cheap there and have a very nice transportation.

chaychay644

Postby chaychay644 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Manilaman wrote: I get the sense that the Filipinas on this forum and on JadeRune are looking to be a princess (though they won't admit it) so have zero interest in discussing small island life in the Philippines if they even know anything about that lifestyle (doubtful).

I don't really agree on that part..as you may know, I am engaged to my american boyfriend and he is working as a welder in Minneapolis..and i am currently studying Caregiving course so when i get there to US i won't be a burden to him. If i consider marrying an american will make me a princess then i shouldn't have enrolled caregiving and working will not be on my mind either...we don't really have plan to live there for good, were just going to work to save money then live here in PI..i will never consider living in america for the rest of my life..i would still prefer to live here in my country...
chaychay644

Postby Manilaman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:55 pm

chaychay644 wrote:
Manilaman wrote:I would like to hear about life on a small island in the Philippines. Maybe 500-1000 people. There are many small islands, but we never hear about those people. What is life like on a small island?

I was born and raised in Calbiga, a small town located in the Western Samar. It is the place where I took my Elementary and High School education and based on my experience I consider living in Calbiga as the best place to live coz it is very peaceful, food are cheap, people are nice, it also has signal for internet and mobile for easy communication.

and if you want to unwind and relax from your hectic schedule either from work or study..you can go to any of the beautiful natural resources such as the Lulugayan Falls, Spark (Park) and Langun-Gobingob Cave.

After high school graduation i moved to San Jorge Samar were i took BS in Food & Nutrition at North West Samar State University. It is also a small town and life there isn't really different as it is in Calbiga though the first is bigger.

Then after i graduated from college I moved again to Catbalogan City were i worked in the government office for 3 years and i really like the place coz foods are also cheap there and have a very nice transportation.

That's a nice description ChayChay, thanks for that. Sounds like you lived in a nice small town with modern amenities. It would be nice if we heard from a small island Filipina who probably did not have access to college, internet etc. Some of those smaller islands don't have electricity. Please tell about your daily life in your small town.
Manilaman

Postby Manilaman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:05 am

chaychay644 wrote:
Manilaman wrote: I get the sense that the Filipinas on this forum and on JadeRune are looking to be a princess (though they won't admit it) so have zero interest in discussing small island life in the Philippines if they even know anything about that lifestyle (doubtful).

I don't really agree on that part..as you may know, I am engaged to my american boyfriend and he is working as a welder in Minneapolis..and i am currently studying Caregiving course so when i get there to US i won't be a burden to him. If i consider marrying an american will make me a princess then i shouldn't have enrolled caregiving and working will not be on my mind either...we don't really have plan to live there for good, were just going to work to save money then live here in PI..i will never consider living in america for the rest of my life..i would still prefer to live here in my country...

ChayChay. I do not doubt your work ethic or dedication. I do believe many / most Filipinas think Americans have lots of money so it is good to find an American man who will give her what she wants and probably expect he will help her family. Why else do most Filipina want an American man? If she wants to be poor and work hard she would just stay in the PI and marry a local Filipino guy.
Manilaman

Postby chaychay644 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:45 am

Manilaman wrote:
That's a nice description ChayChay, thanks for that. Sounds like you lived in a nice small town with modern amenities. It would be nice if we heard from a small island Filipina who probably did not have access to college, internet etc. Some of those smaller islands don't have electricity. Please tell about your daily life in your small town.

Life in a small island doesn't make any difference where i live coz most of those places have already access to electricity and communications like cellphones..and if there is no college on that island they actually moved to places like cities where there are state colleges and universities or even private schools..education here is not really that expensive..i have lots of friends who lived in those small islands and they still manage to study until college..

I myself don't belong to rich family, my parents got separated before i was born and so i was raised by my single mom who worked in Manila to support my daily needs..but despite of that, she manage to send me to school until i finished college...from June to December i spent most of my time studying..but during school vacation i spent my time by helping my granny on home chores like cleaning the backyards, washing dishes, preparing meals and after that playing...it was my daily sched until i finished college..

After that of course i got my own work and spent my daily life working..
chaychay644

Postby Manilaman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:20 am

chaychay644 wrote:
Manilaman wrote:

Life in a small island doesn't make any difference where i live coz most of those places have already access to electricity and communications like cellphones..and if there is no college on that island they actually moved to places like cities where there are state colleges and universities or even private schools..education here is not really that expensive..i have lots of friends who lived in those small islands and they still manage to study until college..

I myself don't belong to rich family, my parents got separated before i was born and so i was raised by my single mom who worked in Manila to support my daily needs..but despite of that, she manage to send me to school until i finished college...from June to December i spent most of my time studying..but during school vacation i spent my time by helping my granny on home chores like cleaning the backyards, washing dishes, preparing meals and after that playing...it was my daily sched until i finished college..

After that of course i got my own work and spent my daily life working..

ChayChay your personal dedication to a better life is commendable but you seem to evidence a classic Filipino denial of reality. Philippines has 0ver 7000 islands, many are small, until recently not even on a map, with maybe a few hundred people, without what western world considers basic infrastructure necessities like electricity, water, sewer, paved roads etc. These small islands rely on fishing, local, fruit limited farmed vegetables with almost no cash / money. School is at best rudimentary grades 1-6 one room all classes together, beyond this level requires attendance at a larger island boarding school which almost never happens. Medical and dental are almost nonexistent.

On a national level compared to any western country and compared to island nation peers such as Japan and Indonesia Philippine eduction system and economy are very substandard. A college education (with minor exceptions) in the Philippines may be considered roughly equivalent to a high school education in developed countries. Many children on small islands never go beyond elementary levels.

Economically, compare Philippines it's island nation peers, Indonesia and Japan, taken from an equal start point of end of World War II. Philippine economy has not progressed leaving it's exploding 90 million people mired in poverty. Since the Philippine economy is so lacking most families are sustained by (a) Overseas Foreign Workers who send money to their family and (b) export young women as wives to relatively more wealthy foreign men . These young Filipino wives function from an economic perspective much like OFWs and are expected to send money to sustain their families in the Philippines. Economically the Philippines is controlled by a few extremely wealthy ruling class oligarch families who, along, with the Roman Catholic Church seem satisfied to rule the Philippines in a modern version of a 1300s feudal system with wealthy nobility and church controlling a serf /peasant class.

An honest non-emotional, non-biased comparison of the social, economic, education, and government systems and conditions of Philippines with island nation peers Indonesia and Japan from an equal staring point, the end of World War II will give an honest evaluation of true condition in the Philippines.
Manilaman

Postby chaychay644 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Manilaman wrote:
ChayChay your personal dedication to a better life is commendable but you seem to evidence a classic Filipino denial of reality.

as far as m concerned that was my opinion based on my experience and i don't really see any point why i have to deny..lol..now, if your referring on life on small island in general then i guess you can search that on the net and its very self explanatory...and would you please stop bragging about how rich america is because we don't really care..and stop comparing the Philippines to other countries as well because it doesn't matter..

chaychay644

Next

Return to General Forum