THE PROVINCE OF BUKIDNON

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

THE PROVINCE OF BUKIDNON

Postby m&m » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 am

Bukidnon or in Filipino "lalawigan ng Bikidnon is a landlocked province of the Philippines located in the Northern Mindanao Region. Its capital is Malaybalay City, which is about 850 kilometers by air from Manila and 91 kilometers by road from Cagayan de Oro City. It has two landmarks, Mt Kitanglad and Pulangui River. Mt. Kitanglad is 2,955 meters above sea level. Pulangui River, on the other hand, traverses through the northeastern and southern part of the province the Rio Grande of Mindanao. The province borders, clockwise starting from the north, Misamis Oriental, Agusan del Sur, Davao del Norte, Cotabato, Lanao del Sur, and Lanao del Norte.

Bukidnon is considered by Filipino to be the food basket of Mindanao. It is the major producer of rice and corn in the region. Plantation in the province also produce pineapples, bananas, and sugarcane.

There are no seaport in the province, although there is an airport in Malayabalay City. The airport is currently closed. To get to Bukidnon , one must travel by land from Cagayan de Oro City in Misamis Oriental Province.

Its Political History, Bukidnon became a part of Misamis in the latter part of 1850. The whole area was then called Malaybalay (Few Houses) and the people were known as Bukidnons (mountain people). The Philippine Commission, then headed by Commissioner Dean C. Worcester, Secretary of Interior, proposed the separation of Bukidnon from Misamis Province. On August 20, 1917, by virtue of the creation of the Department of Mindanao and Sulu under Act 2711. In 1942, invading Japanese occupation by Filipino and American troops with the aid of Bukidnon-based Filipino guerillas during the Second World War.

On Cultural History, according to oral history of the indigenous people of Bukidnon, there were four main tribes in Central Mindanao: the Maranao who dwell in Lanao del Sur, and the Maguindanao, Manobo and Talaandig who respectively inhabit the eastern, southern and north-central portions of the original province of Cotabato. When the civil government divided central Mindanao into provinces at the turn of the 20th century, the groups included in the province of Bukidnon are the Talaandig and the Manobo. The Biisayans, Cebuano, Boholanos and Illonggos migrated into the province followed by various groups from Luzon, namely, the Ilocanos, Batanguenos,the Igorots and the Ivatans. All contributed massive acculturation among the indigenous tribes. Most of those who moved to the mountains and forest continued to hold on their ancestors' cultural heritage. The wide variety of Filipino groups now thrives in the province and contributed immensely in the socio-economic development.

In terms of land area, the province's total land area is 829,378 hectares (8,293.78 square kilometers). It accounts for 59percent (59%) of Northern Mindanao. Thirty-eight percent (38%) is alienable and disposable. The rest are classified timberland.

It also accounts for 80% or 34 million metric tons of the region's nonmetallic mineral deposits which include high grade white and red clay, gold, chromite, copper, serpentine, manganese, quarts and limestone deposits can also be found in the province.

In terms of Climate, there are two climate prevail between the northern and southern sections of Bukidnon. The northern part is classified as belonging to Type III, that is, there is no pronounced rain period but relatively dry during the months of November to May. In the southern portion of the province, the climate is classified as Type IV with no dry season. The driest area is Baungon, while the wettest is the Calabugao plain. The climate is relatively cool and humid through the year.
An intimate relationship w/ God must b our highest priority. When U hav right or poor relationship w/Him,out of that relationshp flows everything else in our life. Thus, your relationship to Him determines how you live your life. It all relates to that
m&m

Re: THE PROVINCE OF BUKIDNON

Postby Edwin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks for all the great information, M&M! :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:00 am

The province of Bukidnon is a blessed province. God has protected the people from typhoon and other calamities that other parts of the Philippines affected much and was and is devastated by natural calamities like heavy rain, typhoon, landslide and earthquake.

Since it is the major producer of rice and corn in the Philippines, I took photos while I was traveling going home and while I was in the farm. I assist my brother in managing the small parcel of land (half hectare or an acre).

I have a lot of fun while I was taking photos, please take a look at it.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:59 am

We love reading, learning about your experiences, and looking at your pictures! Thank you very much for blessing us with all of these! :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:36 pm

That was a great post. I enjoyed the pics. I have a big interest in small-scale farming.
Smiley

Postby crisipicada » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Yes, it is so good to have something to do you enjoy as what your parents had taught us. Like my late father, he was doing farming when he retired in AFP, then my mother was a graduate of agriculture or an agriculturist. From time to time, mama shares about farming, and I am learning. So now, i learn to love those things and doing in actual... love to step in the mud haha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
crisipicada

THE PROVINCE OF BUKIDNON

Postby Edwin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 pm

There is nothing like seeing what you planted grow and make food, or raising the animals and getting the benefits from them, like milk and eggs! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:45 pm

I have a friend who has an interest in his wifes families farm Near Marmag in Bukindon. I`m hoping to make it over sometime in the reasonable future to see for myself. I`ve never been to Mindanao.
Smiley

Postby crisipicada » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Yes, Bukidnon is safe in terms of typhoon. It is also one of the main source of food like rice and corn. Many converted to sugarcane since the price is high. But then, rice is the staple food of filipino, still a lot of filipino plant rice. I like corn but only if it is the whole grain corn not the polished one. specially when it is sticky and cook with milk. So yummy to eat.
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:58 pm

crisipicada wrote:Yes, Bukidnon is safe in terms of typhoon. It is also one of the main source of food like rice and corn. Many converted to sugarcane since the price is high. But then, rice is the staple food of filipino, still a lot of filipino plant rice. I like corn but only if it is the whole grain corn not the polished one. specially when it is sticky and cook with milk. So yummy to eat.

Someone said that Bukidnon is the bread basket of the Philippines. We love corn too! Not far from here in the valley by the Columbia River that is about a 100 acre field of corn. Our daughter who is married to the Native American joked that she had a notion to go down and pick a few ears for supper, and her husband told her that it was field corn for the cows, and she wouldn't enjoy eating it, but I'm not sure but what it might be good. I think the kernals of that corn are white. I don't remember whether I have eaten any of that variety or not. We raise it in our gardens, and have few ears to eat in the fall. Normally it is so delicious, but this year it turned out to be tough and not much flavor. We ate it anyway, and we like it even if it is not the best. At the time of the year that a lot of it is raised around here we can buy it really cheap, like for 8 or 10 ears for a dollar. We got some really good corn either last year or the year before from the farmer's market, as well as a lot of other wonderful food. Individual growers with small gardens bring their produce in to the park near the City Library, and it is really good. Our church also puts on a dinner there too as an outreach in the community, and also to help poor people which I think is really great! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Next

Return to General Forum