Tebowing

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Tebowing

Postby jadegil6 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:35 pm

There isn't any Tebowing going on in Makati City.
Makati City is a sprawling municipality in Metro Manila , and is also the unlikely birthplace for the most talked-about athlete in the United States, whose name is Tim Tebow and who plays quarterback for the Denver Broncos.
Tim has had a remarkable football season in the US. His series of extraordinary fourth-quarter comebacks has added to his cult-figure status as a true believer in Jesus Christ.
His journey began 24 years ago when he was born in Makati City, but if you ask most residents of the Philippines who Tim Tebow is, they will not know. Tebow's parents, Bob and Pamela, were working as Baptist missionaries in the Philippines when their son was born in the Makati Medical Center on Aug. 14, 1987. Although Pamela Tebow was advised to have an abortion after suffering from a pathogenic amoeba, she decided to go through with the birth despite the risks of her son being stillborn.
Tebow spent the first three years of his life in the Philippines and has returned on charitable and religious missions every year since he was 15 years old.
"I will always have a special place in my heart for the country where I was born," he said recently.
Given the amount of focus trained upon Tebow in the United States, one would think that he would be known in the Philippines, especially in his birth town of Makati City, but most filipinos have never heard of him.
Makati offers a fascinating snapshot of Filipino life. Part of the district forms the financial hub of the Philippines, complete with skyscrapers and billion-dollar fiscal institutions. However, just a couple of miles away and within the same district are slum areas where Tebow's parents worked to provide aid and spiritual guidance for the locals.
Yet, even the most passionate of local sports fans in the Philippines have yet to be touched by the Tebow hype that has engulfed the U.S
Basketball is the biggest sport in the P.I., followed by boxing, and filipinos don't know much about American sports apart from those.
That may change soon, especially if Tebow's fame and form continue to surge. Two Manila newspapers are planning stories on the quarterback this week, and Filipino state television is sending a crew to the Broncos' showdown against the New England Patriots on Sunday.
Tebow continues his family's mission work, and his foundation has combined with renowned charity CURE International to build a state-of-the-art hospital in the troubled region of Davao that will provide reconstructive surgery for children suffering from deformities.
Funding for the $3.1 million project is nearly 80 percent complete, and it is expected that Tebow will be present at the groundbreaking ceremony in January.
There has been a new word coined in the English language recently. It is "tebowing". "Tebowing" is a verb, and it means "to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different." The word is a result of Tim's actions, as he often kneels and prays during the course of the game.
At the beginning of each news conference when he is asked to answer questions, the first thing he says is, "First of all, I would like to thank my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ."
Tebow.jpg

Tebowing2.jpg

Tebowing3.jpg
jadegil6
Site Admin

Re: Tebowing

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:49 am

Denver Broncos beat the Pittsburg Steelers in overtime on the first play in overtime with a 64 yard touchdown pass thrown by Tim Tebow.
The fact that Tebow had 316 yards passing and averaged 31.6 yards per pass in the game didn't escape notice on Sunday night. Tebow wore "John 3:16" on his eye black in the 2009 BCS Championship game and has since become identified with the famous Bible message. The coincidental stats caused millions of fans to perform Google searches on the Bible passage in the past 24 hours. Here's one more unbelievable stat: John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reports that the final quarter-hour television rating for the Broncos-Steelers game was, you guessed it, 31.6.

(John 3:16 reads: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.")
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Edwin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:37 am

This is wonderful what has been happening with Tim Tebow, and the spread of the gospel by him. It is great that he and his family have consecrated themselves to be a witness for God and His saving grace. Since I have seen the above post I have seen articles about this on the news periodically. What a testimony this is for the world to see. I am sure we will see more of this also, as I don't think this is the end of this story. Thanks for bringing Tebowing and a little bit about the Tebow family history to us! :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby jadegil6 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 am

Welcome.....what happens with Tim does relate to the Philippines because he was born there, and his parents still live there, and he goes there every summer on mission trips.
He will play again this weekend with his team, and there will be many news stories over the next few days.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby jadegil6 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 am

As many of you know, I live in Austin, Texas. And as I was driving yesterday, and listening the radio, I heard an anouncement that Tim Tebow would be in the Austin area on Easter Sunday to speak at a Christian gathering. The service is going to be held outdoors, and it is expected that between ten to twenty thousand people will attend. Many non-Christians will be drawn to this Easter service because of their respect and admiration for Tim, and the opportunity to hear him speak.

Tim spends several months of each year in the Philippines doing missionary work in helping the poor. His parents are American missionaries, and have lived and worked in the Philippines since 1985. Tim was born in Makati.

The Tim Tebow Foundation has partnered with CURE International Charity, and they are working together to build a children's hospital in Davao. Groundbreaking was in January 2012, and work is underway, and the hospital is expected to be completed by the end of 2013. The hospital will specialize in orthopedics.

Praise the Lord for Tim and people like him who serve and help others.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby Edwin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 pm

I think it is wonderful that there is such a young man who is dedicated to God and work, and a person who has been successful and has the respect of many people, also the national, and maybe international exposure in the athletic field. He is a selfless person who thinks of the welfare of his fellow man. That is great that he has such a heart for the poor people to want to help them, and also to be a witness of God love and saving grace to them. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby red » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:20 pm

I admire Tim Tebow, hands down great person. Wish all players are like him.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Yes, Red, Tim Tebow has inspired a lot of people. I think he is a very giving, humble, serving others, type person, and it is great when other people are inspired by his example. God has blessed him with success, and put him in the spot light so that people can admire his example, and then seek to be a blessing to other people like Tim Tebow. It is great that people can hear his message and follow his lead. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:21 pm

I like to see young people not afraid to affirm their faith in public.I don`t mean praying at the top of their lungs hoping lots of people pay attention,I mean people like Tim who will worship in public as they would in private.That to me speaks volumes about that persons relationship with God and also how secure they are with their faith.All of us from time to time need a little focus and it appearantly can even be found on a football field.
Smiley

Postby Edwin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:33 am

I agree with you, Smiley, that this is a real value when someone is not afraid to take a stand for their faith, and pray when they might be seen as being odd or out of place. God is all powerful, and it makes perfect sense to those who understand God and His power to know that someone would kneel and pray to God at a football game. He sets a tremendous example for others to follow. He is definately not ashamed to be seen as a Bible believing, and praying Christian, and he is practical as well. He practices what he preaches which is the best part. He is not only praying, but he is doing as well! We can pray when it is important to us. We can pray over our meals, at home, or anywhere, such as in a restaurant, because God is always happy to see and hear us ask him to bless the food to our bodies, and bless us to His service. My wife's Dad said when he was a little guy, his family would pray so long at the dinner table that the food would get cold before they could eat it. I think he was being funny more than anything else, but I also think he thought they prayed too long over the meals. Some take it to both extremes. But I still think it is important to ask God to bless the food before we eat it. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Next

Return to General Forum