Jobs for midwives and teachers

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Jobs for midwives and teachers

Postby BigBlastGuy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:12 am

I was wondering about the reality of jobs for Philippine trained teachers and midwifes? I see lots of teachers on jaderune who do not appear to be employed as teachers.

Are there really jobs for teachers? Are there really jobs for midwives? And how are these professions viewed by filipinos--are teacher and midwives seen as good jobs / professions or do colleges just churn out lots of teachers and midwives but there are not enough jobs for them?

I happen to know a filipina that wants to train as a teacher or midwife if she has the money. She was not asking me for money but in trying to understand her life goals I learned she wanted to go to college to be a teacher or midwife. I considered the possibility I might offer to help her (nothing expected no strings attached) so was trying to understand what is really going on with these programs.
BigBlastGuy

Re: Jobs for midwives and teachers

Postby farmer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:30 am

BigBlastGuy wrote:I was wondering about the reality of jobs for Philippine trained teachers and midwifes? I see lots of teachers on jaderune who do not appear to be employed as teachers.

Are there really jobs for teachers? Are there really jobs for midwives? And how are these professions viewed by filipinos--are teacher and midwives seen as good jobs / professions or do colleges just churn out lots of teachers and midwives but there are not enough jobs for them?

I happen to know a filipina that wants to train as a teacher or midwife if she has the money. She was not asking me for money but in trying to understand her life goals I learned she wanted to go to college to be a teacher or midwife. I considered the possibility I might offer to help her (nothing expected no strings attached) so was trying to understand what is really going on with these programs.

Way back 1960's, as much as you graduated college, you will have 100% chance getting a job :D :D :D :D , as much as in the field of teaching :P :P :P :P . There was a very big in demand in terms of teaching in concerned. During that time, it was seldom for a filipina/filipino to get a degree course. One reason, because of financial constraint wherein parents can't afford to send their children to school. Thus, out of 100 students from elementary, up to college, only 10 survive, or only 10% of the enrollees starting primary school. :( :( :( :(

Out of 11 children of them, she is the one finished studies taking up agriculture major in elementary education. From her house going to school, it took 4 kilometers walk. It last for 4 years, until she moved to leyte to her aunt to continue her elementary education.

During her high school days, she went back to her place and finished the four year high school. During her college, she went to a government school. Because her mother was only selling "binaki" or what we call corn cake, usually sell at bus terminal, and her father selling banana , to support their daughter to school, she put in her mind that she should commit herself to graduate college, by hook or by crook. After a long sacrifice, she graduated in college and at that time she landed a job immediately, in the government service. Since, you cannot choose where to be assigned, she landed into a very remoter area somewhere in her province. Afterall, she succeeded in her endeavor.

This is the story my mom shared to me (although it is quite cut and short from what she really shared), I learned a lot of lesson. From this, applying for work is in demand especially in teaching. But now, I have learned hat 45% of graduates did not find a job over in the country because no vacancy. What you really have acquired at school, be it a teacher or a nurse or a midwife, it is difficult to work what you really have finished. Regarding midwifery, some filipino enrolled that course because of the chances of getting job abroad, than to pursue nursing which would take 4 to 5 years. While, midwifery is only two years to finish. This is the sad fact about filipino economy. Too much population or overpopulation is one of the reason why some never landed a job. Therefore, they already mindset to find job abroad whatever cost it takes. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
farmer

Postby Edwin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:26 am

This is almost off the subject, but somewhat related. I have had lots of education; many years worth. I first graduated from Bible College, and pastored churches and was involved in church ministry and music for many years. I also graduated from teacher's college with a B.A. in education, Elemenatary, grades K-8 and Special Education K-12. I did not have a good student teaching experience, so I got mediocure reviews, and a lower grade in my student teaching than I had gotten in all of my college experperience, so I taught one quarter in the community college, and I substitute taught for 10 years in the public education system. I was in high demand and all the teachers and principals wanted me for fill in teaching, but I was not able to get a full time teaching position, so finally I just settled for substitute teaching, and I enjoyed it and surivived a long time. I got involved in the tourist industry which I enjoyed as much as anything I had ever done in my life. I have taken 15 credit hours of college course work, 100 or above every five years to maintain my teaching certificate, and it is still valid. I could qualify for a teaching position any time I would desire one and some school would hire me. I am in a peculiar situation now in that it takes me one hour to get to the highway from where I live, then I would have to drive more miles to get to a school for teaching. It would not pay for me to work at substitute teaching from where I live, because by the time I would buy the gasoline to get there, and pay for the wear and tear on the car I would not make any money. It is hard on me not to work as I have worked hard all my life, but I have a cellar I am trying to dig, and other little projects that require my time. During my spare time I play the piano, and during the winter when it is too cold and miserable to get out and do anything I will be playing the piano. I need to get my small tenor trombone out of the closet and put it on top the piano, so that I can play it once in a while, because I shouldn't be neglecting it. Once I get the piano so that I can play it a little better then I will get my accordion out and get back to it. I played it for a while when I didn't have a piano, but at the time my skills were low, but I still enjoyed it very much. I did play a guitar when I was about 14 years old or so, and I have thought about picking it up again also, and I might. We have our daughter's guitar that I bought for her to learn when she was in elementary school, so I could play it. There are lots of opportunities, but I am retired, and I am concentrating on the piano for now.
Edwin

Postby jadegil6 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:58 am

BigBlastGuy wrote:I was wondering about the reality of jobs for Philippine trained teachers and midwifes? I see lots of teachers on jaderune who do not appear to be employed as teachers.

There are so many educated people in the Philippines who do not have work, or who are working in a job unrelated to their education. The reason is that the economy there is so bad that there are not many jobs available. Most companies there hire workers in temporary jobs that last about 5 months, and they do that so they can avoid having to pay the workers as permanent employees which would require benefits and higher costs. There are many nursing students who take that course in the hope of getting a job in a foreign country where there is a great demand for nurses. Some students take a course of study because the fees for that course are less than the course they may be more interested in.

There are not that many job opportunities available for teachers or for midwives.......some, but not many.
jadegil6
Site Admin

Postby chaychay644 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:29 am

You are right about that there are lots of teachers and midwives here in jaderune or here in the Philippines who are not employed..some of them might be a college graduate but then is not a board passer..and having no license to teach or practice their profession as midwife is one of the factor that could affect their job search..

BigBlastGuy wrote:Are there really jobs for teachers? Are there really jobs for midwives? And how are these professions viewed by filipinos--are teacher and midwives seen as good jobs / professions or do colleges just churn out lots of teachers and midwives but there are not enough jobs for them?

If one is employed permanently as a Teacher in a government school..then we can say that its a good job because government employees have lots of benefits and the salary also had increased dramatically during the last administration..But, the fact that the number of Teachers and midwives that graduates each year on every parts of the country is rapidly increasing in number..that makes the competition very stiff because the number of vacant jobs is not equal to the number of graduates each year...and take note that one should have a good scholastic records, pass the licensure exam for teachers..if you have all those...then welcome to the world of job hunting..
chaychay644

Postby BigBlastGuy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:35 pm

So, there are too many teachers and midwives for jobs in the Philippines.

What is the best job for a Filipina to study / train for in the Philippines? What career can she study for to make sure she has a job with a reasonable income?
BigBlastGuy

Postby Edwin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:17 am

When I finished with my degree in education I had no idea that I would not be able to find a job. The first few years that I substitute taught I had two schools that wanted to hire me as a teacher. The one was for a special education teacher for which I did have the qualifications, but the school lost enrollment due to Mexicans returning to Mexico after the harvest, and then a teacher from the high school moved down and took the position. I didn't apply for it, but they wanted me until the position was filled by another teacher within the school. That happened to be the school where I graduated from high school. Another school about 4 miles from that school wanted to hire me for a position for which I knew I was not qualified. They wanted me badly, but after talking to the Office of Superintendent for our state, they advised me not to take the position, so I didn't. We had a little guy we were taking care of and I had a ministerial position in a church that I didn't think I should leave, so between the little guy and the church, I stayed close to home. I did enjoy working with tourists in a National Park for 10 years, and that was so much fun that I decided not to return to teaching at that time anyway. I am still qualified to teach, so I could return to it any time, but I am not sure that I will. While drawing unemployment I was required to make 3 job contacts each week. I did this for 2 years, and I had 2 employers that expressed interest in me. One was a septic pumping business that was interest in me because I have a CDL. The other was a local funeral home, and they told me I could use them for a contact if I would turn in a resume to them which I did. Then I found out that one of our neighbors has a son who is married to the funeral director/owner, and I'm not sure why they were interested, but they looked at my resume more than I thought they would. Maybe the economy has something to do with it, but around here jobs are not easy to find. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby chaychay644 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:37 am

BigBlastGuy wrote:So, there are too many teachers and midwives for jobs in the Philippines.

Yeah, there are already lots of midwives and teachers graduates that are jobless..But if you're friend really wants to be a teacher someday..then I guess she just have to try..anyway, she just have to make sure to pass the board and after that job will not be that difficult for her if and only she can compete with the rest of the applicants..coz there are instances that the vacant position for teacher is 5 and expect to have like 100 or more applicants...

BigBlastGuy wrote:What is the best job for a Filipina to study / train for in the Philippines? What career can she study for to make sure she has a job with a reasonable income?

Based on my observations, course such as Accountancy and other Business related course are among the jobs that are in demand nowadays..because they can apply in private firms and offices..w/ regards to Accounting graduates, they are very lucky coz they can apply for a job even if don't have a license but of course its a plus..
chaychay644

Postby crisipicada » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:33 am

Whatever degree course who have now, still willing to learn anything. Learning to drive is one of those must to learn. Lately, I took up and graduated Defensive driving and automobile maintenance. I want to learn more about trouble shooting an engine. It was a lot of fun. Next step would be applying for a driver license.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

Postby Edwin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:48 am

I had an intermediate license to drive school buses in the 1970s, and they change the rules and made all school bus drivers get CDLs (comercial Driver's License) I got certified to drive for the school district and got a CDL about 14 years ago. I got a job transporting anywhere from 12 to 60 people to trailheads to hike, snowshoe, and also I ran tours of various kinds. I have been away from that job now for a little over 3 years, and now got a letter from the department of transportation telling me they are changing the rules again, and I will have to submit my driver's medical physical with the state if I want to keep my CDL, and I have to fill out a report of what I intend to do. I think they are trying to take those CDLs away from inactive drivers. There are some things I can do to keep my CDL just in case I might need to use it, which I doubt that I will, but you never know. I am still physically capable of driving should I have the need/opportunity. Just like my school teaching credentials, I hate to lose them, so we will see. I also have an endorsement on the driver's license to ride any size motorcycle that I want to. I have ridden the really small ones, and the last one I rode was half way between the really small ones and the largest ones. It is a Honda 500 CX Delux, a very good motorcyle. I loaded it in my storage reefer so that it will be out of the weather. It needs a new front tire, new mufflers, new throttle cable, new break; rotor and disk; calipers, and then it will be ready to ride! I have dreamed about owning a big Harley Davidson Motorcyle, but that may be all I might do is just dream, I don't know? My Dad owned 2 of them in the early days of the Harley, but he broke his foot on one of them, so he sold both of them and never rode a bike again. He rode wild horses which was much more dangerous, but he felt safe on the horses and never hurt himself like he did with his motorcycles. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Next

Return to General Forum