What hobbies do you have?

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Re: What hobbies do you have?

Postby Edwin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 am

Smiley, you brought up a subject of interest to me. I grew up attending churches with talented pianists. I was not willing to put in the time practicing that I needed to. So, as a result I didn't get many piano lessons. I wanted to learn to play even yet, but I tried to on my own several times without success. I thought I could put in a little effort and learn to play, but every time I tried, it was so tedious that I would give up each time. I tried so hard, and it sounded so badly that I felt overwhelmed and it frustrated me. I knew what good piano playing sounded like, and I couldn't make it sound that way, no matter how hard I tried. It seemed to me like it was not worth it, and I had other distractions as well. Our daughter's piano instructor's husband told her that the American way is to learn to play quickly. You see these advertisements periodically on television, "Learn to play the piano for $29.99." The idea is that you can learn in a flash. We are accustomed to microwaves that cook our food quickly, fast cars for transportation, computers for quick communication, and we think we can learn difficult music quickly also. I read an estimate on the internet that they figure it takes 10,000 hours to play the piano smoothly, and I'm not sure if that is from the beginning, but from the beginning I will bet it would take more than that to learn to play well. When I decided to really learn to play the piano, I decided that I was going to do that no matter how discouraging it seemed, and it did seem discouraging, with the difficulty of the music, but I have kept at it, and I am doing well for me. Some people learning to play start with the beginning book, then they advance to more advance books, and they progress gradually from one step to the next. That is actually the more ideal way to learn. But, I just started with the church song/hymn book, played them very slowly working out all the chords and notes, staying with them until I finished the songs, only playing each song once. That way if playing one difficult song was very tedious, as song as I finished that song, I was ready to move on to the next one. I have been doing this for about 5 years, spending a quite a bit of time each day, and I am not accomplished yet, nor anywhere near it, but I am doing okay. If a person wants to learn and become accomplished, if they have high ideals and high goals, it will take some time, and at times it will be discouraging. But like with me anyone who wants to accomplishy this needs to be willing to pay the price. As accomplishments come it will feel really good, trust me, and even before you can play wonderfully you just have to enjoy what you can do, and have fun with it. Don't feel frustrated if you can't play like someone else who playing you admire. Just enjoy what you do, and at the same time strive for more perfection and it will come. :D :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby edeline » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 am

The things that I enjoy doing is taking photos in different places, collceting and developing of the pictures taken and playing badminton. One more thing I enjoy shopping though it is just window shopping most of the time. It sounds funny to me how girls enjoy window shopping or real shopping and the guys don't like it. Guys just see and buy what they need and don't care other stuffs. The girls can spend a whole day or hald day by just simply window shopping and comparing prices for the future plans. I always enjoy window shopping and it makes me very happy especially I see people asking for a mark down price heheh no matter how low it is, some are still trying their best to lower it down.

My guy really doesn't like shopping. When we were chatting, I used to tease him..have you done on your favourite job? Shopping and then he just smiled because he knew I was teasing him. When he was here in Cebu we queue at CDR king to buy something and wow we stood up for nearly half an hour I guess. I knew he was tired and upset with how much we spent standing and waiting for oour number to be called before we will be entertained but he has a very good temper control. He was still smiling and just talking to me watching to people around how busy they were. I just love this man so much and I feel that he is the best guy in the world.

We were also in Watson Pharmacy and he was looking at me paying the med that I bought. After paying, he told me it was just like CDR king. SO many processes but he still smiled. I always see how calm and gentle this guy is. I am blessed to have him in my life.

One more thing, when we walked he used to say and tease me..mummy let us go to my favourite store..let us go to CDR King..I miss that place..heheh
edeline

Postby Edwin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:10 am

One of our identical twin daughters hates shopping, as does also my older brother, who hates shopping. The other twin, and your youngest daughter love to shop. Carol loves to shop as well. They love window shopping or looking for things they want to buy. Although Carol has said that if we are so short on money that she shouldn't buy anything that it is not as much fun for her. I enjoy following the shoppers or window shoppers around just listening and watching them enjoy what they are doing, even though for most of it I don't care much about what they are looking at. Many years ago my wife's cousin and his family were window shopping in a store, and an employee came by and asked if they needed any help. He told them, "No, we are just doing a little shop lifting!" He said that employees followed them all through the store until they left! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Postby edeline » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Edwin wrote:One of our identical twin daughters hates shopping, as does also my older brother, who hates shopping. The other twin, and your youngest daughter love to shop. Carol loves to shop as well. They love window shopping or looking for things they want to buy. Although Carol has said that if we are so short on money that she shouldn't buy anything that it is not as much fun for her. I enjoy following the shoppers or window shoppers around just listening and watching them enjoy what they are doing, even though for most of it I don't care much about what they are looking at. Many years ago my wife's cousin and his family were window shopping in a store, and an employee came by and asked if they needed any help. He told them, "No, we are just doing a little shop lifting!" He said that employees followed them all through the store until they left! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh that was really funny. Just doing a little shop lifting. I guess I have to try that, joke. I don't like when the saleslady keeps on following at my back and then I see those wrinkles on the forehead getting angry because I am disarranging things hehehe. Girls are girls, enjoying shoplifting I mean window shopping hehehe.
edeline

Postby Edwin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:25 am

This cousin of Carol's has been married 3 times, and I guess the 3rd time was the charm. I didn't know his first wife at all, but I did his 2nd wife. I don't know why either or the 2 marriages didn't work, but the 3rd one has been wonderful. I think he is 6 foot, 6 inches tall, and his filipina wife is about 4 foot, 9 inches short! She live in Canada before they were married, and I think she was a Canadian citizen. He was a barber, retired now, and they had a barber shop. He cut hair, and she worked on people's nails. She is a very nice person, really nice. He has a funny sense of humor, and if you knew him you could understand him telling a sales person that they were there just to do a little shop lifting! In his humor he would use some shocking information like that. If you didn't know, and thought he was serious, you would be horrified!

When I was in the Philippines I noticed that you have far more sales girls in your stores than we do ours. If you want/need help you have a sales girl right behind you. In our country here in the USA, in many stores, if you need help you are in trouble, because the sales people are somewhere else in the store. If you wait long enough, or travel the store enough you might find someone to help you.

Edeline, you were just giving those sales girls something to do. They should be grateful to you so that their job will not be so boring. Actually other customers probably find shopping more interesting after you have rearranged the shelves! It is more fun to see the wrinkles on their faces, huh? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:20 am

Friends of mine have a fairly large used clothing store.A couple days before they have a sale,a lot of women come in and move stuff around to hide it. I guess they plan to come back and get it during the sale but it seems they seldom do. Drives my friends right off the deep end.
Smiley

Postby Smiley » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:40 am

I guess that cooking is a hobby of mine as well.I started young,feeding a younger brother and never stopped.Taught two daughters and they are both excellent cooks now. My oldest daughter (who turned 30 today),used to always bring friends home from high school for supper 3 or 4 times a week at least. The other daughter had a best friend that some of the neighbors thought was another daughter she was at our place so much. My ex was always mad that the girls didn`t want to bring their friends to her place nearly as much.
Now it`s just me most of the time at home and I don`t cook like I used to. I do belong to a motorcycle club and in the warm months I have the barbeque at the clubhouse going most fridays, feeding 20-30. I love it. I have done fish fries and stuff like that too. Our annual pig roast has 4-500 show up depending on the weather,last year we went through 3 pigs about 165 pounds each. Come to think of it,the club is sort of a hobby too.
Smiley

Postby edeline » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Edwin wrote:This cousin of Carol's has been married 3 times, and I guess the 3rd time was the charm. I didn't know his first wife at all, but I did his 2nd wife. I don't know why either or the 2 marriages didn't work, but the 3rd one has been wonderful. I think he is 6 foot, 6 inches tall, and his filipina wife is about 4 foot, 9 inches short! She live in Canada before they were married, and I think she was a Canadian citizen. He was a barber, retired now, and they had a barber shop. He cut hair, and she worked on people's nails. She is a very nice person, really nice. He has a funny sense of humor, and if you knew him you could understand him telling a sales person that they were there just to do a little shop lifting! In his humor he would use some shocking information like that. If you didn't know, and thought he was serious, you would be horrified!

When I was in the Philippines I noticed that you have far more sales girls in your stores than we do ours. If you want/need help you have a sales girl right behind you. In our country here in the USA, in many stores, if you need help you are in trouble, because the sales people are somewhere else in the store. If you wait long enough, or travel the store enough you might find someone to help you.

Edeline, you were just giving those sales girls something to do. They should be grateful to you so that their job will not be so boring. Actually other customers probably find shopping more interesting after you have rearranged the shelves! It is more fun to see the wrinkles on their faces, huh? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Oh the salesladies must be thankful with me when I disarrange things. That will lose their boredome leaving so many things arranged hehehe. Yes we have so many salesladies all over the place and we can just call someone anytime we need as long as it is not busy time. They can come to me if I will be calling them. Sometimes it is just annoying when someone is following and advertising the products but mostly when I am just on window shopping and the saleslady is following me, I just stop because I can imagine and I saw faces when they see that I am not buying. They are not happy one is not buying and spending too much time on looking their products.hehehe
edeline

Postby Edwin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:31 am

Edeline, one thing about disarranging the items in the store is that it keeps the sales ladies far behind you, because by the time they straighten things out, you are far ahead of them, and they can't catch up to you. You give them a chance to practice their skills, huh, Edeline? They have to use more psychology to sell more things. Wrinkling their faces won't help. They can be really pleasant, learn what you are interested in, and then feed on that to capture your interest, keep it, and then sell you something, when you didn't intend to buy it, huh? Well, that might not be good either, huh? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Postby crisipicada » Thu May 10, 2012 12:19 am

After work, I usually arrange my clothes and do the laundry. I also love to cook for dinner and see what i can do. love to prepare vegetable salad.

Most of the time, I do the gardening at home, love to clean the house, and do the laundry. So nothing in particular that I am so interested in though i really love to listen christian music.
Nothing can separate us from the love of God
crisipicada

PreviousNext

Return to General Forum