Day Light Savings Time

Description of your first forum.

Moderator: youngj

Day Light Savings Time

Postby Edwin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:57 pm

We are at that time that tonight at 2 a.m. we are supposed to set our clocks ahead. I already set one ahead and set the alarm, since I am here alone, so that I will not sleep too long. Changing the clocks is madness. Changing the clocks does not save any time as Day Light Savings Time implies. I didn't read the article, but I saw the headlines that changing the clocks causes some people health problems, and even heart attacks. I think there are 2 states that don't observe Day Light Savings Time, one is Arizona, and I'm not sure right off hand which the other state is. What it does is that it changes everyone's schedules. They have to suddenly get up one hour earlier, and miss an hour's sleep, then they have to go to work an hour earlier, and then get off work an hour earlier. It doesn't really bother me, but it is kind of stupid in my opinion! It means that when I am figuring time in the Philippines I will go 12 hours ahead then add 4 more ours instead of 3 that I have been doing all winter. So if it is 8 p.m. here, it will be 8 a.m. the next morning plus 4 more hours which will make 12 o'clock noon the next day in the Philippines! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
Edwin

Re: Day Light Savings Time

Postby red » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:52 pm

My phone automatically adjusted in advance of one hour even i am here at Phils. I thought i woke up late coz i saw my cellphone's time almost 7am then i scolded my working student because she woke up late only to find out our wall clock was on right time, Phils. time.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Yes, Red, that is funny about you scolding your student for being late, only she was not late, it was still on time, Philippine's time, huh? We have the same thing here. We have an atomic clock that is radio controled, and it automatically adjusts to the correct time. Our cell phones do the same as yours for day light savings time, and this computer changes automatically also. I reset one clock on the pellet stove, because it has to be changed manually. I also set the alarm so that I would not sleep too long, since I was here by myself. Then I reset the clock in our car; it took one poke with a ball point ink pen, and it will read correctly until when we go off from day light savings time in the fall. People in the Philippines are smart to leave the time also, and not try to mess with it! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
Edwin

Postby red » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:54 pm

Yes and I was ashamed of my working student. Of course I don't want her to get late in school. My husband even let me wake him up that day. I was his alarm clock because his alarm on cellphone might not work or he will be late for work. And indeed it didn't work.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
red

Postby Edwin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 pm

My wife has to take her insulin at 7 a.m., each morning. So, she sets the alarm on her cell phone, and it seems to work pretty well. As soon as she takes her insulin, she gets back in bed and stays there until she wants to get up, depending on how tired she feels. It is bad when your alarm doesn't work, and in years past I have worried a lot about that. We have set our alarm for p.m. instead of a.m., and that doesn't help either! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Edwin

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm

I think that the hour we gain is more than lost by all the time wasted discussing whether or not we really gained an hour. I know people who will argue this untill the fall. :)
Smiley

Postby Edwin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 pm

This is true, Smiley. There was one year back when I used to carry a time piece that I actually kept my time the same all summer and just made mental calculations for every day. It got a little confusing at times, but I made it okay. Every other time I changed my clocks for the summer. When I was little I and they were first starting daylight savings time, I remember lots of debates about it. To me it is not a big deal actually. All of my adult life I have lived with the changes. I think the people who were adults when it first started had a hard time with it every spring especially. In the fall it is easy to sleep that extra hour, but in the spring it is difficult to get up an hour early all of a sudden, and then adjust to that. It is okay with me though. The time change is more when you fly from the USA or Canada to the Philippines. When I went over I wanted to get up for the day at 1:30 a.m., and returning to the USA I couldn't stay awake late in the afternoon/early evening. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Edwin

Return to General Forum